Ramos to start Opening Day, Rodriguez makes team

Mar 29, 2013, 10:25 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today

With their exhibition schedule now in the books, the Nationals have sorted out their final roster decisions. Manager Davey Johnson announced on Friday Wilson Ramos will start at catcher on Opening Day and that relief pitcher Henry Rodriguez will make the 25-man roster.
Ramos is slated to catch the first game with Kurt Suzuki taking over on Wednesday to catch Gio Gonzalez. Johnson said he looks at both Ramos and Suzuki as number one catchers and the two will alternate depending on the pitcher.
The 25-year-old Ramos in some ways completes an almost year-long comeback from tearing the ACL in his right knee last May. He started last Opening Day after finishing fourth in N.L. Rookie of the Year voting in 2011.
Johnson approached Ramos during batting practice on Friday to share the news.
“I have been waiting for this moment,” Ramos said. “I was sliding, I was working to get my job back. This is a very exciting day for me.”
“The last ten or 11 months I have worked hard for this moment.”
Johnson explained the decision in part as a reward for Ramos’ perseverance and hard work. He saw Ramos the day he suffered the injury and was amazed at the shape he was in when pitchers and catchers reported back in February.

1. MurrayTheRed - Mar 29, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I like this! Both of these announcements are good news to me.

2. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 29, 2013 at 11:17 PM

I would like nothing better than a legitimate chance to resurrect "PFB."

3. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 29, 2013 at 11:18 PM

OK, there are.lots of things I would like better. It's just a figure of speech.

4. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 29, 2013 at 11:23 PM

In fact, it might be fun to have a PFB-PFF meter for MPH-Rod's outings. 0 = ↓ Pretty Frickin' Feo10 = ↑Pretty Frickin' BuenoMaybe we can guest it on NatsLady's blog?

5. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 29, 2013 at 11:25 PM

BTW, good picture, Chase.

6. Drew - Mar 30, 2013 at 12:12 AM

My condolences to the backstop — and I don't mean Wilson.Last year Henry Rodriguez tied for third-worst in the National League with 10 wild pitches — and he did it in 29 innings!!Why would you entrust the Hope Diamond to Jethro Bodine?Incomprehensible.

7. sjm308 - Mar 30, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Just a little surprised but not really. Davey has supported Henry most of the spring. Have to admit that when he came in today the crowd around me did sit up and pay a little more attention. He did fine and that curve was one of the reasons I do enjoy him when he is on. I wonder how many actual bad outings he will have to have before Davey makes a move? Good Luck Henry!

8. Tcostant - Mar 30, 2013 at 12:56 AM

9. Tcostant - Mar 30, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Ramos can't catch balls from the IF either…

10. Nattering Nat - Mar 30, 2013 at 2:34 AM

As much as I am a Suzuki fan, that is the right decision. Suzuki can handle it, Ramos is rewarded, sends the right message, etc. And they will get co-equal playing time. As for Henry, the subject has been beaten to a pulp. BUt yet, there he is, still standing. I imagine his leash is going to be very short, now that his erraticism will count in the standings again, so Romero should not unpack his suitcase at Syracuse….

11. Donald - Mar 30, 2013 at 11:59 AM

As much as Davey says it's about rewarding Ramos, they said the two would split the catching duties this year. And with Gio pitching second, it just makes sense. If Suzuki started on Monday, he'd either catch two days in a row, or Ramos would catch Gio.

12. SonnyG10 - Mar 30, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I hope Mike and Davey have a pretty big bottle they're using to catch lightning.

13. JaneB - Mar 30, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I'm with you Sofa. And I like the scale.