VIDEO: How good can Harper be in 2013?

Mar 29, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT

Last night was the world premiere of Comcast SportsNet’s ‘The Baseball Show’ as Mark and former MLB general manager Jim Duquette previewed the 2013 season. In the episode Mark and Jim talk about the biggest storylines for the Nationals as they get ready for another 162 games. Among the topics they discuss are expectations for Bryce Harper and the effect new closer Rafael Soriano will have on the bullpen.

1. Faraz Shaikh - Mar 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM

in other news, I will be diagnosed with Diabetes with all this sweet talk about Nationals. :PThis along with the Posnanski article and Nats' view from most sources is… I can't find words to describe that.

2. Doc - Mar 29, 2013 at 3:07 PM

John Hart, Bob Costas, and others have weighed in on Trout's side in the Bryce vs. Mike debabte.Both potentially long term ball stars, yet Bryce will, IMHO, have the better batting stats and, over time, will be as good in LF as Trout is in CF.This will be a Ted vs. Stan & Joe and Mickey vs. Willie debate that will hopefully continue for many years.

3. Unknown - Mar 29, 2013 at 3:11 PM

People keep saying "How good is this kid Harper going to be?"I was old enough to see the last seven years of Mickey Mantle's career and I am still "young enough" to see the beginning of Bryce's.But if plays 22 years in the majors, I'm going to be in my early 80's when he finishes up, and mortality tables suggest I won't be there. It's a strange feeling to watch this team develop and know that I won't be around for all of their careers. Man, I hope Heaven has the MLB channel. Heck, I hope Heaven IS the MLB channel.Farid @ Idaho

4. NatsLady - Mar 29, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Chase Hughes ‏@chasehughesCSN nowDavey said he'll make the decision about Opening Day catcher on Sunday. Werth is out today: 'he's in a lot of pain' acc. to Johnson. #NatsSo much for "it's nothing to worry about."

5. NatsLady - Mar 29, 2013 at 3:26 PM

6. NatsLady - Mar 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Farid, same here, though I come from a long-lived family. I'm never going in-line skating, either. Woke up to that realization a few years ago. Ah, but it's all good NOW.

7. NatsLady - Mar 29, 2013 at 3:29 PM

William Ladson ‏@washingnats nowThe #Nationals are taking batting practice right now. #Nats #MLB pic.twitter.com/wEB1nElrKe

8. EmDash - Mar 29, 2013 at 3:33 PM

NatsLady, Amanda says he's still in the lineup, despite pain/stiffness. Davey apparently still says it's not serious, but, well. You never know if that will change.

9. EmDash - Mar 29, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Also, Lombo at DH! Would not have expected that.

10. NatsJack in Florida - Mar 29, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I've told anyone that would listen that if Bryce hits 40 Home Runs, steals 40 bases, hits .340 or higher and drives in 130 runs, I would not be suprised.

11. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 29, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Eh, I'm holding out for .400. But I want odds.

12. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 29, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Well, he said we would think he was crazy. He could be the first 40-40-.400. And 160 RBI =4*40, wth.