Apr 1, 2013, 7:19 PM EDT
Bryce Harper watches his first homer sail to right field.
Game in a nutshell: On a resplendent Opening Day in the nation's capital — at least, until the clouds, wind and light rain moved in later in the afternoon — the defending NL East champion Nationals took the field to a standing ovation from an overflow crowd of 45,274 amid expectations this franchise has never before faced. And how did they respond? With a convincing victory over the Marlins sparked by their two biggest stars: Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg. Harper celebrated his first career Opening Day in the big leagues with a bang. Actually, two of them. He homered in each of his first two at-bats of the season, leaving the crowd in a frenzy. Strasburg then set to work, mowing down Miami's lineup with ease over seven scoreless innings, allowing only three hits without issuing a walk. Rather than push his young ace on April 1, manager Davey Johnson handed things over to his bullpen to close this one out, and Tyler Clippard and Rafael Soriano responded in kind. Clippard tossed a scoreless eighth, then Soriano sealed the deal in his Nationals debut, recording the save and getting this highly anticipated season off to a 1-0 start.
Hitting highlight: Hmm, who do you suppose wins this category today? Kind of a no-brainer, isn't it? When you homer in your first two at-bats of the season and earn a curtain call on Opening Day,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate