Apr 1, 2013, 7:19 PM EDT
Bryce Harper watches his first homer sail to right field.
Game in a nutshell: On a resplendent Opening Day in the nation's capital — at least, until the clouds, wind and light rain moved in later in the afternoon — the defending NL East champion Nationals took the field to a standing ovation from an overflow crowd of 45,274 amid expectations this franchise has never before faced. And how did they respond? With a convincing victory over the Marlins sparked by their two biggest stars: Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg. Harper celebrated his first career Opening Day in the big leagues with a bang. Actually, two of them. He homered in each of his first two at-bats of the season, leaving the crowd in a frenzy. Strasburg then set to work, mowing down Miami's lineup with ease over seven scoreless innings, allowing only three hits without issuing a walk. Rather than push his young ace on April 1, manager Davey Johnson handed things over to his bullpen to close this one out, and Tyler Clippard and Rafael Soriano responded in kind. Clippard tossed a scoreless eighth, then Soriano sealed the deal in his Nationals debut, recording the save and getting this highly anticipated season off to a 1-0 start.
Hitting highlight: Hmm, who do you suppose wins this category today? Kind of a no-brainer, isn't it? When you homer in your first two at-bats of the season and earn a curtain call on Opening Day,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Braves 7:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Hard-hit balls equal hard-luck loss for Nationals
- Fister, Nationals hard-luck losers in pitchers duel
- Asdrubal Cabrera joins Nats after trade, starts at second base
- Nationals send slumping Barrett to AAA
- Asdrubal Cabrera makes his debut
- Nats activate Asdrubal Cabrera, option Aaron Barrett
- MLB Power Rankings: Deadline shakeup in the AL
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss