Apr 1, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Through his first three major league seasons, Stephen Strasburg struck out batters at a manic pace. His 11.1 strikeouts per nine innings ratio last season led the majors and were the most since Kerry Wood whiffed 11.35 per nine in 2003. Exciting, sure. But sustainable, maybe not.
The Nationals ace is hoping this year to pitch more so to contact, keep pitch counts low, and in turn stay on the mound later into games. In Monday’s 2-0 Opening Day win against the Marlins he took a convincing step in that direction.
Strasburg needed only 80 pitches to carve up Miami batters through seven innings. He finished with three hits allowed, no walks, and just three strikeouts. The Marlins made contact, they just couldn’t get anything going.
“I noticed in spring training early on that they don’t want to get to two strikes,” Strasburg said. “I was fortunate enough to be making good quality pitches and getting some quick outs.
“I’ll take the quick outs any day of the week.”Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain