Apr 2, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Wilson Ramos prepares to tag Giancarlo Stanton at the plate in the seventh inning.
As Stephen Strasburg warmed up in the right field bullpen prior to his Opening Day start, all eyes at Nationals Park were on the young right-hander. They probably didn't notice the eyes of the guy catching Strasburg, who couldn't help but get emotional from the moment.
"When I was in the bullpen, I was almost crying," Wilson Ramos said later. "I feel like today was my first game in the big leagues. I was too excited."
While Strasburg and Bryce Harper drew the lion's share of the attention during and after the Nationals' 2-0 Opening Day victory over the Marlins — and rightfully so — Ramos quietly went about his business. His presence behind the plate, though, was just as significant in the bigger picture.
Less than 11 months after tearing the ACL in his right knee while trying to corral an errant pitch in Cincinnati, Ramos was back in the Nationals' starting lineup, given the honor by manager DaveyRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Cross Scioscia off list of potential Nats manager candidates
- Rizzo on firing Williams as manager: 'A tough day'
- Nats leaning toward manager with experience
- Report: Nats will look at Cal Ripken for managerial job
- Jordan Zimmermann releases touching statement thanking DC
- Could Nats hire Francona or Scioscia as manager?
- Denard Span supports fired Nationals coach on Twitter
- Updated: Nats clean house with coaching staff, hope some return
- Matt Williams fired after 2 seasons as Nats manager
- Trying to make sense of the Nationals' season