Apr 2, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Wilson Ramos prepares to tag Giancarlo Stanton at the plate in the seventh inning.
As Stephen Strasburg warmed up in the right field bullpen prior to his Opening Day start, all eyes at Nationals Park were on the young right-hander. They probably didn't notice the eyes of the guy catching Strasburg, who couldn't help but get emotional from the moment.
"When I was in the bullpen, I was almost crying," Wilson Ramos said later. "I feel like today was my first game in the big leagues. I was too excited."
While Strasburg and Bryce Harper drew the lion's share of the attention during and after the Nationals' 2-0 Opening Day victory over the Marlins — and rightfully so — Ramos quietly went about his business. His presence behind the plate, though, was just as significant in the bigger picture.
Less than 11 months after tearing the ACL in his right knee while trying to corral an errant pitch in Cincinnati, Ramos was back in the Nationals' starting lineup, given the honor by manager DaveyRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera