Apr 3, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
There are few baseball traditions worse than the day after Opening Day off-day. I understand why MLB schedules it like that — in case of a rainout, it allows everyone who held Opening Day tickets to still attend the first game of the season — but it's still a frustrating quirk for managers, players and media members alike.
Managers and players, because baseball is such an everyday sport and the immediate off day throws them out of whack. Media members, because we have to come up with something to talk about for 48 hours in between games, and the only way to fill that much time and space is to rehash every minute detail from Opening Day. (Hey, how 'bout that perfectly executed, 7-2-3-4-2 double play by the Nationals' defense!)
By the time 7:05 p.m. arrives tonight, the Opening Day hoopla will have ended and the true grind of the baseball season will begin. This is when we start learning what a team is really all about. And there are several things we could learn about the Nationals tonight when they re-take the field against the Marlins…
CAN GIO GONZALEZ GET OFF ON THE RIGHT FOOT?
You've probably forgotten about it since he proceeded to win 21 games and put himself in the discussion for NL Cy Young, but Gio Gonzalez really struggled in his first start last season. The leftyRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How much will the Nationals miss LaRoche?
- Report: Yankees tried to trade for Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins
- A reason for each MLB team to be thankful this Thanksgiving
- Who's better right now?
- Point/Counterpoint: Biggest threat in NL East in 2015?
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats