Apr 4, 2013, 4:02 AM EDT
As he warmed up for his first start of the season, Gio Gonzalez felt something he never before had on a baseball field: A massive headache.
Whether it was the frigid conditions at Nationals Park (45 degrees with a stiff wind at gametime), the stress of a season debut in front of the home crowd or just some freak of nature, Gonzalez took the mound with pulsating temples, severe enough he had to be careful not to clench his facial muscles as he delivered each pitch for fear of making the pain even worse.
“It started from the bullpen, and it ended up being right off the first batter,” the left-hander said. “I was just working my way through there. I was just trying to stay focused and let the Advil take over and do what it does.”
If Gonzalez can perform like this — six scoreless innings, not to mention a solo homer to lead the Nationals to a 3-0 victory over the Marlins — with a migraine, imagine what he might be able to do when he takes the mound feeling 100 percent.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent