Apr 4, 2013, 4:02 AM EDT
As he warmed up for his first start of the season, Gio Gonzalez felt something he never before had on a baseball field: A massive headache.
Whether it was the frigid conditions at Nationals Park (45 degrees with a stiff wind at gametime), the stress of a season debut in front of the home crowd or just some freak of nature, Gonzalez took the mound with pulsating temples, severe enough he had to be careful not to clench his facial muscles as he delivered each pitch for fear of making the pain even worse.
“It started from the bullpen, and it ended up being right off the first batter,” the left-hander said. “I was just working my way through there. I was just trying to stay focused and let the Advil take over and do what it does.”
If Gonzalez can perform like this — six scoreless innings, not to mention a solo homer to lead the Nationals to a 3-0 victory over the Marlins — with a migraine, imagine what he might be able to do when he takes the mound feeling 100 percent.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman rejoining Nats, likely to play Saturday
- Fister seeks win No. 15 tonight in Miami
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- MLB Power Rankings: Tigers righting the ship
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown