Game 3: Marlins at Nats

Apr 4, 2013, 4:32 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals go for the three-game sweep this afternoon.

Last night, the Nationals became the 13th team in MLB history to record back-to-back shutouts to begin a season. Today, they'll try to do what only one other team (the 1963 Cardinals) has ever done: Throw three consecutive shutouts to begin a season.

It may sound like a ludicrous notion, but the combination of Jordan Zimmermann on the mound and a highly suspect Marlins lineup taking their hacks against him is about as favorable of a matchup as you're likely to find. (Miami, by the way, could become the first team ever to be shut out in its first three games.)

Left-hander Wade LeBlanc gets the start for the Marlins, but if you were thinking Davey Johnson might use that as an opportunity to get somebody like Tyler Moore a start, you were wrong. Davey's going with the same lineup as he used in Games 1 and 2, with Wilson Ramos back behind the plate. As we said all spring, it's going to be a challenge to keep everyone on the bench fresh, with few regulars who need (or want) to take time off.

Updates to come, so please check back…

MIAMI MARLINS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 4:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Cloudy, 51 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to LF

NATIONALS
CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper

Read more ยป

1. The Retired Journalist - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Wade LeBlanc? That guy from "Friends" is pitching for the Marlins now?

2. NatsLady - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Here is my post looking at the thirty pitchers who started on Opening Day. Since I don't play fantasy baseball (other than the fangraphs thingie ), my plan to keep up interest in other teams is to track these guys and see how they do.Opening Day Startershttp://ladyandthenats.blogspot.com/2013/04/off-to-races.html

3. NatsLady - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:48 PM

It's going to be harder when we get to Cincinnati. Choo just hit a HR… Oh, and don't pitch to Votto.

4. Section 222 - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Davey likes a set lineup, and I think he wants to see what this group can do during an extended stretch. With another off day on April 8 and again on the 18th, it wouldn't shock me to see him go with this lineup (with the alternating catchers) through the 17th. But then we play 17 games in 17 days (April 19-May 5), and I would expect him to start resting guys, maybe one or two at a time, during that stretch.

5. Timothy Folk - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Expecting to not leave as many runners stranded today.. .. peric is annoying

6. MicheleS - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Looks like we got Chris Young on a minor league deal

7. NatsLady - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Poor, poor technique on the part of the Cin. catcher. Couldn't get the tag down, on a great throw, plenty of time.

8. A DC Wonk - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Hey all — here's a belated eye-witness report from last night's game (my excuse: I've just finished thawing out)First off — after I posted I was going to be in Sec 309, a number of other posters told me where they were going to be — but I never saw them till after the game — my office lost its internet connection! I'll have to catch you all later on this month.Other random tidbits:- Daughter-Wonk and her friends left us in the fourth inning — and popped up shortly afterwards sitting just five rows behind the Nats dugout.- They did play Take On Me. And, for Werth, they played Werewolves of London for his third at bat.- There were a few shots by the Marlins that looked like potential trouble, but Denard Span looked speedy and smooth. Man, he covers a lot of ground. He glides. He made those catches look easy. Me like the new CF (not to mention his getting on base his first three at bats). So, I've only seen him in 9 innings, but, frankly, he looks like the best defensive outfielder the Nats have (if we exclude Bryce's arm).- Attendance over 26K?! That's outstanding. Did I mention it was f-f-f-f-freezing? I had my best ski jacket on, but I needed a down blanket for the rest of me.- Matheus looked solid.- Before the 9th, Soriano and HRod were warming up. I was thinking with a three run lead, Davey might go for HRod (saving Raf-So for this afternoon in case of close game), and I was having a "bourbon and maalox" moment. When Soriano came in, and the first two got on, I was wondering if HRod had switched uniforms with him ;-) (But, yeah, he had it all the way (gulp)). I think Stammen got up to warm up after the second guy got on.- LaRoche saved at least two (possibly three? I can't remember) throwing errors. (I don't want to re-hash the Morse trade thing, but, I gotta say: a lesser fielder at 1st or CF would have completely changed the game last night).- Zuk made a great inside-the-baseline throw. Also, I was surprised at how much Pierre was thrown out caught stealing. Wasn't even close, even though he got a halfway-decent jump.Great time was had by all.I think my biggest takeaway was how great Span looked patrolling CF — it was the first time I saw him in person. Last night he was looking like he could cover every square inch from the right of Harper to the left of Werth.Impressed with Gio, too — he clearly had some trouble with control (cold weather), and as I learned later, with a bad head-ache, but he gutted it out got the job done.Remember how just a very few years ago the Marlins completely had the Nats' number?Let's sweep those fish, guys!! GYFNG!!

9. NatsLady - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Hard to imagine playing 17 games in 17 days in late April-early May. It's raining in the ATL, by the way. Any details on Chris Young–does he have an opt-out? I always had the feeling he might go to Syracuse rather than a non-contender like the Mets. He kept hinting, but Rizzo is one tough cookie, just ask Adam LaRoche.

10. Unknown - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM

11. A DC Wonk - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM

NatsLady — I've been meaning to say, your blog (http://ladyandthenats.blogspot.com/) is great for stat-heads! (Like me). It looks like it takes a lot of work — and I appreciate it. (You should see if you can guest write for FanGraphs!)

12. NatsLady - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Mark, some of those blogs look pretty dead. If you have time, can you put mine on the blog roll? (Sent email a while back, but you might have missed it.)

13. peric - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Timothy Folk is a broken record.

14. peric - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Any details on Chris Young–does he have an opt-out?He already "opted out". Now he and his agent are parsing through their opportunities. He still has an invitation to pitch in SYR but as of now they aren't including him in their depth chart.

15. NatsLady - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM

DC Wonk, yes, it is a lot of work… Even a short post like today's, where I already had the idea, took me several hours, between researching, formatting the tables, and proof-reading. Also, I went back and updated the previous post based on a request from a commenter. I don't have the bast tools because my desktop computer crashed and I haven't replaced it yet (maybe today, but I had a fender bender with some IDIOT yesterday… grrrr, it's always something). I've started on my Reds Review, which I will try to get out BEFORE game time. :) I also would like to learn how to incorporate more GIFs and videos–remember Livo tying his shoelaces in Cincinnati and then laying down a perfect bunt?

16. NatsLady - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:36 PM

peric, the Nats announced Young signed a minor-league deal. He could still (I assume) have something like a June opt-out, which is why I'm asking.

17. peric - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Mark, some of those blogs look pretty dead. Nationals Fan Girl, the Nats blog, and Positive Mental Natitude are a waste of space in the left-hand gutter.

18. A DC Wonk - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Hey, anyone, does anyone know who started those three shutouts for the Cardinals? Game 1: Ernie Broglio, 9 IP, 2 H, 8 K's.Game 2: Ray Washburn, 9 IP, 4 H.Game 3: Curt Simmons, 9 IP, 5 H.First two game were against the hapless Mets (who went on to lose 111 games that year — 9 *fewer* than the year before). Third game was against the Phillies.While I'm at it, I looked at their sixth game. The Cards started off throwing 5 more shutout innings before the Phils scores. Which mean they started the season throwing 27+5=32 scoreless innings.I hope that becomes relevant after today! ;-)

19. peric - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:38 PM

He could still (I assume) have something like a June opt-out, which is why I'm asking.I missed that. In all likelihood he does … perhaps even earlier. I expect that if a contending team has injury issues and calls his agent the Nats would give him his release.

20. 3on2out - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:38 PM

NatsLady:You definitely should be up there. Number one with a bullet, in my view. There's a lot of great stuff you are putting up. I got you bookmarked!

21. peric - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM

(Sent email a while back, but you might have missed it.)Mark and Chase are anti-any-kind-of-controversy. Would never make it in the old WaPo days of Watergate … and doubtless they never read the comments sections on the various WaPo article sites … ~smiles~I'm still surprised Nats Enquirer is still there?

22. peric - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Yes, Natslady would be a consistent poster hopefully more like NatsGM which I do enjoy reading. Along with Nationals Prospects and Patrick.

23. NatsLady - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM

24. A DC Wonk - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Whoops — I meant to add: Zuk's throwing Pierre out was even more impressive because it was off a slow 75-mph curve.Well done, Zuk!

25. EmDash - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Glad Chris Young is back. I wonder if Johan Santana's returning injury hurt Young's chances for a team to take a chance on him in their major league rotation? I believe they both had the same still-fairly-rare type of shoulder surgery.

26. NatsLady - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:51 PM

So far I haven't posted anything controversial–that I know of–unless you count the Espinosa post. I've stayed away from stuff like Biogenesis and the MASN TV deal. I try to stick to stats and personal observations (like games I've attended). My idea is that it's a combination of (1) random thoughts and (2) continuing threads (like the lefty contest, Nats in the WBC and, now, the Opening Day starters). I feel you can get game summaries and player interviews here!

27. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Good that Cy is signed with us again.

28. peric - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:54 PM

So far I haven't posted anything controversial–that I know of–unless you count the Espinosa post.They're not fond of any kind of bickering or back-and-forth on this site. They tend to show this when it comes to the fan questions they decide to use. Seems very much Washington Times – like.I'd prefer you and perhaps 222 on the left-side to some others who are currently there … how long ago was it that Teddy won a president's race?

29. peric - Apr 4, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Whoops — I meant to add: Zuk's throwing Pierre out was even more impressive because it was off a slow 75-mph curve.Its obscured perhaps but Suzuki was the A's face of the franchise. And that is why his contract is so lucrative. He is the real deal as much as Ramos is. Just to show how much they missed Suzuki Oakland supplanted former top Nat's prospect Derrick Norris at catcher with the Mariner's starter from this past season John Jaso, a left handed hitter. He had a break out year at the plate where he was the Mariner's best hitter. And it cost the A's all of those pitching prospects the Nats collected for their farm system. Jaso is much cheaper than Zuk salary-wise. We'll see if he is as good behind the plate.

30. A DC Wonk - Apr 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

So . . . it seems like a steal — it was Frietas for Suzuki at a time we were desparate for a catcher. Why'd the A's do it?(Credit, and big win, for Rizzo on this one, no?)

31. Theophilus T. S. - Apr 4, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Am not surprised by the new Young signing. I think he and scouts for 29 major league teams realized he wasn't ready for the major leagues. Except MLB Rumors I don't see the announcements in any of the usual places. So, in addition to wondering about a possible opt-out date, I wonder whether they are sending him to Syracuse immediately or to XST.

32. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 4, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Great news on Chris Young! Welcome Back!

33. peric - Apr 4, 2013 at 6:18 PM

So . . . it seems like a steal — it was Frietas for Suzuki at a time we were desparate for a catcher. Why'd the A's do it?Salary dump at the behest of ownership. Clearly not what Billy Beane wanted. And Suzuki had some injuries and a poor year at the plate at that point. Albeit Beane has now also dumped Bradley Peacock who is in Bo Porter's rotation now. All that is left of the big trade is Tommy Milone who is in the A's rotation. In the end that was the guy he really wanted the most it seems.

34. peric - Apr 4, 2013 at 6:19 PM

And Norris but now Norris is a backup to Jaso …

35. peric - Apr 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I think he and scouts for 29 major league teams realized he wasn't ready for the major leagues.He's throwing at Livo speeds … which seems scary.

36. EmDash - Apr 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I think Suzuki was coming back from a hand injury last year, and hit very poorly while with the A's – he hit only .218/.250 OBP/.286 SLG before he was traded. On a team with as low a budget as Oakland that needs to really make the most of it, paying that much to Suzuki for that batting line must've been untenable.His numbers here were .267/.321/.404, which is pretty insane as far as improvements go and so probably not sustainable. But I do think he'll be better than he started off in Oakland, and his defense will be great for us.Also, apparently Nats Park is getting a Paul McCartney show in July 12? Wow. Hope he can make it without passing out as crazy-hot as it's likely to be here then. *g*

37. Drew - Apr 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Glad to hear Young's back. That's great peace of mind.As for the Cards' three shutouts in 1963:Ernie Broglio's other claim to fame (or infamy) is that St. Louis dealt him to the Cubs …For some kid named Lou Brock.

38. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM

MLB Network just announced the Chris Young signing.

39. peric - Apr 4, 2013 at 6:40 PM

2 or 3 catchers ahead of Freitas. But he bats left like Jaso so … they might be very patient with him.

40. UnkyD - Apr 4, 2013 at 6:41 PM

"Game 3: Curt Simmons, 9 IP, 5 H."———The signature on my second baseball glove (a Regent…pretty nice glove). For no particular reason. It was Dads…he gave it to me before a minor procedure I had, at about 10 years of age. IIRC, he bought that glove (and a little one for me… Bill Mazeroski!), specifically to play catch with me…

41. Section 222 - Apr 4, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Kudos to Rizzo and Davey for treating Young well and helping him decide this was his best option. I never thought it would happen. Any details on how much they are paying him and when the next opt out is?

42. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 4, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Sect222, great question as it's a new deal. They coaxed him originally with $2 mill if he made the Opening Day roster. I'm guessing he now gets a veterans MiLB deal and a prorated $2 mill deal if he makes the MLB roster.

43. Tcostant - Apr 4, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Mark tweeted this:Chris Young does not have an out clause in new contract with #Nats. Rizzo said he should report to AAA in 10-12 days.

44. peric - Apr 4, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Young still has to prove he can pitch well against the National League before he gains fifth starter status. They've got Rosenbaum back plus Bradley Meyers working his way back to the rotation on the youth side of the equation. Plus Jeff Mandel. It'll be interesting to see what happens in Syracuse this season.Adding Young basically gives the Nats a close-to-major league team in AAA once Rendon gets promoted. The outfield in SYR will be as good as most fielding wise and if they hit as they potentially can? The infield with Rendon, Rivero, Walters, Kobernus, and Marerro will feature speed and hitting. At catcher Solano and Maldonado aren't too shabby even by major league standards. They might be better than the Mariner's catching tandem in terms of their ability behind the plate. And pitching with Ryan Perry, Chris Young, Daniel Rosenbaum, Tanner Roarke, eventually Bradley Meyers and perhaps Christian Garica? And Jeff Mandel? Forget Ohlendorf and Maya. This could truly be a pretty damned good rotation!It would seem to be a weaker bullpen except Cole Kimball will eventually be there. Along with JC Romero, Erik Davis, Patrick McCoy, Abad …. better balanced lefty versus righty than the major league club. Its seems a bit like old-school Yankee-like depth. It'll be interesting to watch SYR this season. Beasley will have a lot of pressure on him. He has a much better than average AAA roster.

45. Mark Zuckerman - Apr 4, 2013 at 7:50 PM

NatsLady: Email me your RSS feed link again, please, and I'll add you to the blogroll.

46. A DC Wonk - Apr 4, 2013 at 7:56 PM

So, folks, what's the scouting report on LeBlanc?

47. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Watching this kid Hicks for the Twins shows how tough it is to jump from AA to the show. So far through 3 games he's 0 – 11 with 7 k's.

48. UnkyD - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Yay, NatsLady!!!

49. A DC Wonk - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:12 PM

atta boy, JZ. Staying away from Stanton is ok.19 straight shut out innings.

50. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Yay Zimm!!

51. A DC Wonk - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM

That's all the runs the Nats pitching needs, right? ;-)(Here's hoping)

52. baseballswami - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I really like Harper and Zim back to back.

53. Another_Sam - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I'm among the many who gasped at that collision at home plate. Does he seem okay?

54. Another_Sam - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I'm thinking Brantly will see a few inside pitches this game.

55. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:52 PM

me and my cousin wondering the same thing. stop mentioning ruth, musial, williams in the same sentence as harper.

56. Joe Seamhead - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:53 PM

That is a good example of what Denard Span brings to this team.

57. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Is this thing on?Back for the replay … Harper was out by ten feet if Brantly comes up with that chest-high one-hop throw.

58. A DC Wonk - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Werth swings at a first pitch?!And misses?!

59. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Faraz, I know what you mean, but then again … using it as a teaching moment has its benefits, too.

60. baseballswami - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Rant of the day. Beat writers and broadcasters talk about the pitch count constantly. I mean, I get it that it's a factor and that it could shorten an outing. Really. But it 's just constant. After every inning every beat writer on twitter immediately posts the pitch count for that inning. It's really annoying. Do they not have anything else to say?

61. A DC Wonk - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Back for the replay … Harper was out by ten feet if Brantly comes up with that chest-high one-hop throw. Really?! Wow. I'm "watching" on Gameday. Had no idea!

62. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Wonk, yes, Brantly tried to swipe-catch-and-tag instead of waiting for the ball into his mitt, and he had time. It was a pretty good throw from the relay (Hechevarria, I think).

63. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:58 PM

OK, that's a run Werth hitting leadoff does not score.

64. djinFl. - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:59 PM

313 Chant is coming through clear on the Miami broadcast in Fl.Keep it up!!! Makes us proud our seats were there for two years

65. A DC Wonk - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Wonk, yes, Brantly tried to swipe-catch-and-tag instead of waiting for the ball into his mitt, and he had time. It was a pretty good throw from the relay Uggh, I hate when that happens (on defense).That's kinda what Ramos used to do (but no longer, if I remember the comments here)

66. A DC Wonk - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Nice to see Harper get his batting average back up to .600 ;-)

67. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:01 PM

yeah, he was easily out had the catcher hold onto the ball.nice hit by Harper.sofa, I don't know about teaching moment but my ego would be off the charts if someone did that to me.

68. A DC Wonk - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Harper out stealing third? Was it close? Did he have a good jump? Or: too much youthful exuberance?

69. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM

HR 4 for Morse

70. baseballswami - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Which do you think? Adrenaline.

71. Unknown - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Thanks for the Cards info, D.C. wonk.

72. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:05 PM

73. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Another home run by Morse.

74. IKN8wxU2 - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Looks like Mr. Morse just hit his fourth HR of the young season. I still think Rizzo did the right thing, however.

75. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Faraz, you owe me a drink!

76. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Wonk, out by a mile, not a great jump, everybody in the park knew he was going on that pitch.

77. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM

IKN also. Also, congrats NatsLady.

78. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Haha, yes I do, GoSM.

79. IKN8wxU2 - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Why do I owe you a drink? I'm happy to buy you one, mind you, but I don't follow the comments here closely enought to know what you mean!

80. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Have you guys checked what Chris Davis is doing for Orioles? 11 RBIs in first 3 games and third game is not over yet.

81. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Faraz, I have several games on. Saw it live.Mark Z @ 5:30 with good stuff on Bryce Harper. Yep, can't treat stealing 3rd like it's 2nd base.

82. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:18 PM

IKN, don't worry, I'm not collecting.

83. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:19 PM

IKN8, it's a custom here, entirely optional.Nats Insider Drinks Owed.

84. A DC Wonk - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM

IKN — house rules — if you make a comment immediately after someone else makes the same comment, you owe them a drink.BTW — JZ up to 67 pitches after just four innings. Stammen and Clippard in our near future?

85. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Maybe we should add an explanation in the glossary?

86. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:21 PM

why do Nats hitters love down and away? why?

87. Candide - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Cell C22 pretty much explains it.

88. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:21 PM

BTW, Wonk does not owe me one, technically, for that, since he explained it, and I merely linked to it.; )

89. A DC Wonk - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Whoops — do I owe Mark Z a drink?!?

90. TimDz - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM

IKN8, it's a custom here, entirely optional.__________________IKN8: It is an Insider INSIDER thing…only the elite insiders play…

91. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Candide, that's true; maybe we could separate it from the explanation of "kitty" there.Because it's really important enough to smith it like that. ; )

92. A DC Wonk - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Hmm . . . I didn't click on the link. I should have. (OTOH, I can't reach google docs from work!)I'll split it with you — I owe you half a drink. Add it to my tab.(Hey — lightbulb — idea — let's keep tabs on the drinks in a spreadsheet, too! ;-) )

93. IKN8wxU2 - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I'll have to refresh more quickly in the future!

94. A DC Wonk - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:25 PM

… and LeBlanc up to 84 pitches after just four.

95. A DC Wonk - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:26 PM

IKN8wxU2 said… I'll have to refresh more quickly in the future!That's the spirit!!(speaking of spirits… ;-) )

96. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:27 PM

OK. I left C22 alone, but added a Forward tab.

97. Gonat - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Ramos and JZim really tiring LeBlanc out.

98. Gonat - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:29 PM

The ball is carrying today moreso than Game 1 and 2.

99. A DC Wonk - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Well, that's nice. A 12 pitch fifth inning from JZ, even though there was a single.

100. Gonat - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I'm going to beat you all to the Michael Morse 4th at-bat update. He K'd him in a 12 pitch AB

101. Gonat - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Funny, JZ had a 12 pitch innings and Morse just had a 12 pitch AB.

102. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:34 PM

He being Sean Doolittle.

103. A DC Wonk - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Jayson Werth — swings at first pitch _again_?!When's the last time he's done that twice in a game?!

104. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Wonk, not often.

105. A DC Wonk - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM

… and the Nats help out LeBlanc and go down in the fifth on nine pitches.

106. baseballswami - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM

The Nats have some nifty defense. Not just the obvious things, but preventing guys from advancing into scoring position. Pretty sophisticated stuff. Bodes well.

107. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:45 PM

That's it for JZim. A lot of unlucky BABIP but made the pitches when he needed to.

108. SCNatsFan - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:50 PM

OMG Henry is up

109. peric - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Here comes Henry for his debut …

110. SCNatsFan - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Well this will be interesting

111. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I can only find Tums and Bud Light.

112. steveK - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:54 PM

looks like Davey's going to the 'C' bullpen

113. Grandstander - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I'm guessing that Davey's thinking is his 7/8 will alternate between HRod/Clip and Mattheus/Storen. Then keep Duke and Stammen as your long men. Glad to see someone else warming up in there though. This is a divisional game.

114. Gonat - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Breathe in, breathe out and get 3 quick outs.

115. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Carp, on the first pitch being high: "He throws it upstairs."Am I the only one who had to look to see whether he meant that figuratively?

116. baseballswami - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:57 PM

For all the pitch count howling, he gave up one run, went six at a rate of about15 per inning. Surely not anything terrible for a first outing. Gio only went six. Sheesh. Now HRod. Bourbon and Maalox time.

117. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Any chance Henry can learn to play a position?

118. Drew - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Alert the Carpathia.

119. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:58 PM

"Bourbon and Maalox time."I wonder, would that work?I mean for Henry.

120. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Pretty Fricken Bueno.

121. Gonat - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Henry almost squeezed the laces off of that baseball as tight as he was gripping that ball in the first 2 pitches to Polanco. Nice recovery on getting him to rollover the grounder.Then he gets Stanton and looks like a closer! All in all, nice inning Henry!

122. Grandstander - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Just as everyone predicted!

123. SCNatsFan - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I can't believe how nervous I was for that

124. Another_Sam - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Love that Henry.

125. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:03 PM

SC, I had heart palpitations. All in all, B+ Just needs consistency.

126. Joe Seamhead - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Well, let me get back in line for some patience because I had finally given up on Henry. I'm very happy for him, and for us if it's an indication of things to come.

127. Gonat - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Feel bad for Cat. I think he ages a few months on every Henry appearance.

128. Joe Seamhead - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Hey folks, be sure to read Mark' Zs next post all the way through and get Davey's take on Morse's start and what Denard Span brings to the Nats.

129. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Like button! JDub!

130. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:15 PM

BOOM! No doubter over the Nats bullpen.

131. Gonat - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Lefty, righty, lefty config worked well there as the righty got his pitch!

132. SCNatsFan - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Werth's wrist looked pretty good there

133. Joe Seamhead - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Well, lucky thing for the rest of the league that Werth doesn't have any power left because of his wrist.

134. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Now it's almost too bad he can't leave Henry in.

135. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:17 PM

NOW they're doing the wave. That's OK.

136. Gonat - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Keep pouring it on. Let's go LaRoche!

137. Joe Seamhead - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I guess I owe you one, SCNatsFan!

138. SCNatsFan - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Finally I earn one

139. Joe Seamhead - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Yeah,we'll, I haven't been keeping up with it. Maybe someone can put one up for you on my tab. Congrats to NatsLady.Where is MicheleS today?

140. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:28 PM

MicheleS is probably at the game.

141. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:30 PM

The wrist. Jayson's secret weapon as he let's the competition know it's weak.Also, 2 years ago Jayson was bad against lefties.

142. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Danny fans on the long swing. Oh boy.

143. SCNatsFan - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Good thing about Danny and ALR is we are going to be 3-0 with them having as many hits as me. Funny how Danny's spring training swing is gone.

144. peric - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Tough games start tomorrow night …

145. peric - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:39 PM

BTW, after Danny the depth chart probably looks like Lomboardozzi followed by Kobernus. After Desmond? its Danny and then Walters. Until Rendon gets promoted after Zim its Rivero.

146. Candide - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Nats Win! Woo-HOOOOOOOOO!!!! (copyright 2013 MicheleS)

147. Joe Seamhead - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Tough job, but somebody had to do it. Thanks,Candide.peric, agreed that the schedule starts getting tougher tomorrow, but a sweep is sweet no matter the opponent.

148. Gonat - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:50 PM

SCNatsFan, "Funny how Danny's spring training swing is gone." I don't think Rizzo, Davey, or Eckstein are smiling. He looked good in Game 1 even though he went hitless and as yesterdays game progressed the old Danny started to appear. In the last 2 ABs, it was Bad Danny.A real shame.The good news is the Nats WIN!!!!

149. Candide - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:51 PM

BTW…Based on their currents runs scored/runs allowed ratio, the Nats' projected Pythagorean winning percentage for the season is .992.

150. Gonat - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Candide, I like that. Bryce Harper is on pace for 107 HRs this year.

151. Candide - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:58 PM

As long as I'm compiling stats, JZimm has the worst ERA on the entire Nats' staff.

152. natsfan1a - Apr 4, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Yay, Good Mr. Henry! Have we ever swept the Marlins in a three-game series? Dang, I like it!! Er, do we untuck if we win but there's no Soriano save?