Apr 4, 2013, 4:32 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals go for the three-game sweep this afternoon.
Last night, the Nationals became the 13th team in MLB history to record back-to-back shutouts to begin a season. Today, they'll try to do what only one other team (the 1963 Cardinals) has ever done: Throw three consecutive shutouts to begin a season.
It may sound like a ludicrous notion, but the combination of Jordan Zimmermann on the mound and a highly suspect Marlins lineup taking their hacks against him is about as favorable of a matchup as you're likely to find. (Miami, by the way, could become the first team ever to be shut out in its first three games.)
Left-hander Wade LeBlanc gets the start for the Marlins, but if you were thinking Davey Johnson might use that as an opportunity to get somebody like Tyler Moore a start, you were wrong. Davey's going with the same lineup as he used in Games 1 and 2, with Wilson Ramos back behind the plate. As we said all spring, it's going to be a challenge to keep everyone on the bench fresh, with few regulars who need (or want) to take time off.
Updates to come, so please check back…
MIAMI MARLINS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 4:05 p.m. EDT
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Cloudy, 51 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to LF
CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs