Apr 4, 2013, 4:32 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals go for the three-game sweep this afternoon.
Last night, the Nationals became the 13th team in MLB history to record back-to-back shutouts to begin a season. Today, they'll try to do what only one other team (the 1963 Cardinals) has ever done: Throw three consecutive shutouts to begin a season.
It may sound like a ludicrous notion, but the combination of Jordan Zimmermann on the mound and a highly suspect Marlins lineup taking their hacks against him is about as favorable of a matchup as you're likely to find. (Miami, by the way, could become the first team ever to be shut out in its first three games.)
Left-hander Wade LeBlanc gets the start for the Marlins, but if you were thinking Davey Johnson might use that as an opportunity to get somebody like Tyler Moore a start, you were wrong. Davey's going with the same lineup as he used in Games 1 and 2, with Wilson Ramos back behind the plate. As we said all spring, it's going to be a challenge to keep everyone on the bench fresh, with few regulars who need (or want) to take time off.
Updates to come, so please check back…
MIAMI MARLINS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 4:05 p.m. EDT
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Cloudy, 51 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to LF
CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?