Apr 4, 2013, 1:40 AM EST
Gio Gonzalez tossed six scoreless innings and homered for the Nationals.
Game in a nutshell: Two games. Two great pitching performances. Two clutch hitting performances. Two shutout victories. What more could the Nationals ask for? (Well, besides warmer temperatures than the 45-degree bone-chiller they were treated to tonight.) The star in Game 2 was Gio Gonzalez, who not only tossed six scoreless innings but also crushed a fifth-inning homer, providing the only offense the Nats would need. They did tack on a couple of insurance runs for good measure, taking advantage of an error in the seventh and then taking advantage of Bryce Harper's double and Ryan Zimmerman's RBI single in the eighth. Drew Storen opened his season in fine form, retiring the side in the eighth. And Rafael Soriano escaped a jam in the ninth, earning his second save in as many tries. Thus, the Nationals are 2-0, with a pitching staff that still sports a 0.00 ERA. What's not to like?
Hitting highlight: We could highlight Denard Span's three times reaching base (two walks and a double) but come on, how can we ignore the biggest blast of the night, by none other than theRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day