Apr 4, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Jordan Zimmermann allowed only one run despite seven hits.
Game in a nutshell: Well, the shutout streak came to an end at 19 innings, but then the Nationals pitching staff began a new one with seven more scoreless innings after Justin Ruggiano's solo homer off Jordan Zimmermann. They didn't need much offense today but got plenty thanks to Ryan Zimmerman's two-run single in the first, Bryce Harper's RBI single in the third and Jayson Werth's three-run bomb in the seventh. Henry Rodriguez retired the side in his first appearance of the season. Tyler Clippard retired the side in the eighth. And Craig Stammen finished off the Nationals' season-opening sweep of the Marlins. They wound up outscoring Miami by a combined score of 11-1. Not a bad start to the year.
Hitting highlight: Werth talked this spring about how he hoped he'd get full strength back in his surgically repaired left wrist,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats "what the doctor ordered"
- Instant analysis: Nationals 8, Diamondbacks 1
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win