Apr 4, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Jordan Zimmermann allowed only one run despite seven hits.
Game in a nutshell: Well, the shutout streak came to an end at 19 innings, but then the Nationals pitching staff began a new one with seven more scoreless innings after Justin Ruggiano's solo homer off Jordan Zimmermann. They didn't need much offense today but got plenty thanks to Ryan Zimmerman's two-run single in the first, Bryce Harper's RBI single in the third and Jayson Werth's three-run bomb in the seventh. Henry Rodriguez retired the side in his first appearance of the season. Tyler Clippard retired the side in the eighth. And Craig Stammen finished off the Nationals' season-opening sweep of the Marlins. They wound up outscoring Miami by a combined score of 11-1. Not a bad start to the year.
Hitting highlight: Werth talked this spring about how he hoped he'd get full strength back in his surgically repaired left wrist,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery