Apr 4, 2013, 7:09 PM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
After spending almost two weeks searching for a big league job outside of Washington, right-handed pitcher Chris Young has returned to the Nationals with a minor league contract. The 6’10” veteran will report to Viera, Florida to throw a few bullpen sessions before joining the Triple-A affiliate Syracuse Chiefs.
Young was granted an unconditional release by the Nats on March 26 to seek offers from other teams after he opted out of his minor league deal with the club. He appeared in four spring training games with Washington, posting a 2.25 ERA in 16 innings pitched. He allowed 11 hits, two home runs, and kept opponents to a .193 batting average.
Young’s brief stint with the Nationals impressed manager Davey Johnson and left him surprised no one picked him up.
“He had a good spring for us. It was probably that late in the year that a lot of clubs are going with their young guys,” Johnson said.
“He threw the ball good this spring, pitched really well, he’s a competitor. He’s real great insurance.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug