Storen gets back on the saddle

Apr 4, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today

Nearly six months after blowing the save in Game 5 of the National League Division Series last October, Drew Storen finally got his chance Wednesday to pitch in a game that counted at Nationals Park. Yes, he was able to take the mound on Friday against New York, but that was an exhibition game. This time Storen entered a regular season situation, in the eighth inning with a two-run lead, and real consequences on the line.

“It was good to get in there and get your feet wet in some regular season baseball,” he said.

“It just felt comfortable more than anything. When you go out and get in a game like that, a tight game, it’s fun. It’s fun to get those juices flowing again and that’s what locks me in.”

Storen made it through the Marlins batters with no issue, using 14 pitches to exit the inning. He got Greg Dobbs and Adeiny Hechavarria to fly out before striking out pinch-hitter Chris Coghlan.

It was efficient, convincing, and perhaps just wanted Storen needed.

“I think it was nice for him so people can stop talking about it,” Kurt Suzuki, who was the catcher in Game 5, said.

1. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:03 PM

So I guess this means Drew won't be banished to Syracuse as one of the poster's here has been predicting for a couple of weeks.

2. SCNatsFan - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM

If he takes the 'demotion' well then Drew can be an incredible weapon; with the other three guys we can bring guys in for important outs as early as the 5th inning, assuming Duke or Stammen can hold leads.

3. Joe Seamhead - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Ding, Ding, Ding! Between you and Doc, I'm going thought the chilly morn with a smile, Jack.

4. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM

even if it is the marlins, nice to start the season with two shutouts.by the way, read an article on stadium naming right in paper today. what does everyone think about that? millions per year would be nice but I like Nationals Park better than 'MetLife' or 'Citizens Bank', etc.

5. Gonat - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:33 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… So I guess this means Drew won't be banished to Syracuse as one of the poster's here has been predicting for a couple of weeks___________________________Does that poster's name begin with a P?

6. Mark Grabowsky - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:39 PM

As for stadium naming, given the pervasive "salute to troops" and other military motifs I hope we can avoid Raytheon Park or McDonnel Douglas Stadium. (From a 20-year veteran)

7. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Gonat…. I don't remember.

8. Candide - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM

(Got new-posted)Alexandria high school kid with fastball in mid 90s "…sent scouts into a frenzy."

9. Candide - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Maybe they could sell the naming rights to the U.S. Treasury and call it "Nationals Debt Park."With some tie-in to Detwiler.

10. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:02 PM

NatsJack/Gonat, yes it starts with a P and rhymes with Eric.I'm concerned with Espi. He has an itchy trigger finger and also lengthened his swing a few times. He then compacted it in some back and forth ABs. Only 2 games but he looks nothing like the guy I saw in Spring Training. He needs to stick to the plan and let BABIP work for him .

11. peric - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:03 PM

The only future spot for More on the field is at First base. He can play left but is not very good there and has a weak arm. We cannot afford to play him continuously in left as his POTENTIAL offense does not make up for his defensive liability. So unless you want him replacing Laroche, he has no spot to play everyday for now.No, Tayo TYler Moore is now an outfielder. In fact T-Mo looked better in the outfield than at first base perhaps due to lack of time there in spring training. Just like Michael Morse who is now in left field again for the Mariners. Davey even had Tyler Moore in right field this spring.Moore in left-field would constitute a dramatic improvement offensively as the stats from last season showed. And Timothy Folk annoying and often RIGHT.

12. Section 222 - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:05 PM

So I guess this means Drew won't be banished to Syracuse as one of the poster's here has been predicting for a couple of weeksWait, wait, wait, it could still happen! Just like Tyler Moore might push Span out of the starting lineup and put up Morse-like numbers this year.

13. peric - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM

So I guess this means Drew won't be banished to Syracuse as one of the poster's here has been predicting for a couple of weeksBanished? No. I wasn't sure Storen was completely back from his surgery. Look that's what they are doing with Christian Garcia and for Davey the sun rises and sets with that guy? A trip to XST and then Syracuse would have been to ensure he was ready not to "banish him". The guy throws 98? You don't banish a reliever who can do that. The same holds true with Henry. Eventually, we'll see which lefty reliever separates himself from the pack and eventually due to injury or for performance one of them will be in the back of the Nat's bullpen before too long. Its just a matter of time. And even Natsjack won't deny that.

14. peric - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Wait, wait, wait, it could still happen! Just like Tyler Moore might push Span out of the starting lineup and put up Morse-like numbers this year.I am going to have fun copying and pasting these comments and reaming the authors … ~smiles~ This is going to be a fun summer.

15. Whack-a-Mule - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I have ceased to be a "Mule-sicle" (just in time for today's game). Much to admire. Span's defense excellent; he was on-base all 4 AB's (but the RBI fielder's choice doesn't make the stats; just the safe hit and 2 BB's). Gio (headache and all) obviously wants his own Silver Slugger. See you all at the ballpark!

16. peric - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Interesting Candide/Doc…Peric is annoyingRick Ankiel was at least as good as Span AND his arm was the best in the major leagues. Where is he now? This is a Riggleman/Giggleman configuration. We'll see how it works against the newly resurgent Braves.

17. Section 222 - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Very fun game last night, despite the weather. I was glad to put my new Nats jacket to the test. A good dry run for October. It passed. What was with the Nats Dog stands having no buns at the beginning of a $1 hot dog night?I enjoyed seeing our bullpen perform so well. Storen and Mattheus were solid and Rafi really bore down after a few guys got on. He's going to be great I think. Gio's curve was a sight to behold and I loved how helpless Stanton looked against him. That was impressive.I agree with one of the commenters on a previous post that Zim's warmup tosses were scary. He's taking an extra hop before throwing too. If he does that during a game, someone's going to beat his throw across the diamond. I disagree with one of the commenters on a previous post that Bernadina should replace Werth in right for defense (or maybe play LF and move Harper over to RF). The Shark is flashier and makes more highlight reel catches, but Werth is a good defensive outfielder, as he showed last night, and I think we want his experience out there in the late innings of tight games.

18. Tcostant - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM

BTW – Anyone who goes to the yearly Zimmerman event at Nats Park; Living Social has a discount for it:https://www.livingsocial.com/events/660960

19. SCNatsFan - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I still feel Henry's elbow – or neck, or finger, or bursa sac – gets 'strained' after he gets lit up the first time and gets to spend a couple of weeks in SYR pitching every other day on a 'rehab' assignment, allowing whichever lefty rises to the top. Of course, the good Henry would negate all of this but even I, the patron Saint of lost pitching causes, as run out of faith in HRod.

20. Water23 - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Best comment of the night – How was Gio able to hit a HR of Slowey when everyone else was baffled by his 72-88 MPH stuff?Answer – Gio was impersonating Bugs Bunny and his slo-mo swings!

21. A DC Wonk - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:35 PM

This guy lives and dies with every pitch as much as some of _us_ do!!http://s3.amazonaws.com/dk-production/images/26268/large/1132ckCOMIC-louis—baseball-exercise.png?1364933987

22. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Peric, you are right about one thing that what you say could end up happening but your predicting an Opening Day outfield of Moore, Harp and Werth was short-sighted as Span is the lead-off batter/CF that Rizzo has coveted in the Bourn role.With Rick Eckstein's work with Span, it may pay dividends. He actually put up great numbers a few years ago and then changed his swing slightly. Eck has been working tirelessly to get him back to that.When you have a team that believes, almost anything is possible. It starts with trust and the positive mental attitude.Of course we won't know much until we get through a few more weeks as 2 games is ridiculous to really start projecting.

23. Water23 - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM

24. Joe Seamhead - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Concerning MLB outfielders: If it doesn't walk like a duck, and it doesn't look like a duck, it probably isn't a duck.

25. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Tcostant, that Living Social link is at $69.I got an email from CAA agency and on that link they have $45 Club level seats and $69 General Addmission with Beer but if you buy 4 tickets they are $40 each or if you have lots of friends buy ten tickets at $35 each. Sounds like someone needs to arrange a NatsInsider party for 10!http://www.eventbrite.com/event/5915295809#

26. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Water23 said… I was at both games and it looks like Danny is back to his old ways. It is too early to be concerned but it is not to early to notice. I thought he was backing off his all or nothing swings from the left side in Spring Training? April 04, 2013 11:40 AM I wrote the same at 11:02AM. I'm not hitting the panic button yet.The leash probably isn't too long with him as the Nats have invested much in him and to see him go all Spring and working the new mechanics and approach and then revert back with some of his swings last night is troubling.Again, not panicking yet but I'm concerned.

27. NatsLady - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM

This is scary. The Nats start with a 70% chance to win the game, according to Vegas. (Look at the end of this post). Now, you know, of course, they set the odds not on what they think but on how they want people to bet, but still…Daily Noteshttp://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/daily-notes-batting-stats-with-live-and-yesterday-splits/

28. The Fox - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Here is an article on best outfields in baseball. I don't agree with the with the final outcome, and I think the Dodgers are rated too high but it does quantify the numbers. http://www.talkingchop.com/2013/2/6/3956072/do-the-braves-have-the-best-outfield-in-major-league-baseballNot sure the Nat's OF is the the best in baseball but it's up there. I'd say second or third in baseball right now and it could get better. So far I've been impressed with Span's defense and Harper seems to have unlimited potential. As for Bernie, I was never a big fan but his numbers in the second half were pretty impressive and if he puts up those numbers he will get some playing time. I think we could see him in LF with Harper playing RF sometimes giving Werth a break and Bernie is an above average LF'r and he may get better.It will be interesting to see who Davey puts in CF when he gives Span a break? Harper defiantly has more ability but I'm thinking at some point he become the RF'r, maybe not this year but soon.

29. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Now, you know, of course, they set the odds not on what they think but on how they want people to bet, but still…Sorry to be dense, but what's scary about the Nats being prohibitive early favorites in betting on today's game?

30. Water23 - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM

GoSM,Not panicked, not really concerned as it is too early but it is worth noting. Is it likely that he is the Nat's representative on the wait part of the season then finally get surgery to fix his shoulder? Seem like a yearly event. 2012 – Ryan Zimmerman2011 – ALR

31. UnkyD - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Ankiel career OBP: .305….. At least as good as Span: .357At LEAST…..

32. NCNatsie - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I think I lean toward the idea of leaving Harper in LF for the next twenty years. He would probably be the best right fielder on the team, but…he would probably be the best center fielder on the team, but…he would probably be the best shortstop on the team…etc.Babe Ruth was probably the best pitcher on the Yankees squad in the 1920's, but…Harper's offense has such off the chart potential, truly Ruthian in my view, that I think he should concentrate on that, play a relatively easy defensive position and see if he can hit 714 home runs or more.

33. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Water23, I agree.

34. The Fox - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Nat's Lady,I think it is because Mel Blanc's french cousin is pitching for the fish.Most of the Nat's have very few AB's against him except for Adam LaRoche who is hitting 3 for 7 with a HR.

35. NatsLady - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:39 PM

36. NatsLady - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Maybe "scary" is the wrong word. Just uneasy being the prohibitive favorites. But, better than the alternative.

37. natsfan1a - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Is anybody else hearing voices or is it just me?I think it is because Mel Blanc's french cousin is pitching for the fish.

38. EmDash - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I liked Ankiel, but aside from the superior arm, he's in no way the better defensive outfielder. All the metrics I've seen show Span as the superior in range and defensive WAR.Span's job is to get on base a lot and allow the guys after him to try to bat him in, and play a strong defensive center field – he's done both well so far.

39. John C. - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Peric's comment that Ankiel is at least as good as Span is likely an attempt at hyperbole to make a point. Please don't take it seriously, as I seriously doubt even Peric meant it literally.

40. NattieNation13 - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Did anyone see the fan who had the sign that said "#LeBryce" ? I thought that was funny. Also, I thoroughly enjoyed untucking my shirt last night.

41. Theophilus T. S. - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:18 PM

EmDash Those "defensive metrics" are high subjective. UZR is some computer geek's effort to put lipstick on a pig when you can see pretty much the same thing by looking at the CF's share (or the LF's share, etc.) of the outfield putouts. My guess is that Span will have a smaller share of the OF POs this year because he left Willingham behind in MN and has go-get-ems on either side of him and in front of him. What will that do to his metrics? Do I think Ankiel is just as good? Probably not, but no one will confuse Span's arm w/ Ankiel's, and the Werth/Ankiel/Harper arms in OF could clog up the bases a bit. Based on a very, very small sample I think Span covers more ground faster and is more sure-handed with the glove. Which makes offensive comparisons unnecessary.