Apr 4, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
Nearly six months after blowing the save in Game 5 of the National League Division Series last October, Drew Storen finally got his chance Wednesday to pitch in a game that counted at Nationals Park. Yes, he was able to take the mound on Friday against New York, but that was an exhibition game. This time Storen entered a regular season situation, in the eighth inning with a two-run lead, and real consequences on the line.
“It was good to get in there and get your feet wet in some regular season baseball,” he said.
“It just felt comfortable more than anything. When you go out and get in a game like that, a tight game, it’s fun. It’s fun to get those juices flowing again and that’s what locks me in.”
Storen made it through the Marlins batters with no issue, using 14 pitches to exit the inning. He got Greg Dobbs and Adeiny Hechavarria to fly out before striking out pinch-hitter Chris Coghlan.
It was efficient, convincing, and perhaps just wanted Storen needed.
“I think it was nice for him so people can stop talking about it,” Kurt Suzuki, who was the catcher in Game 5, said.
Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent