Apr 5, 2013, 7:11 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Great American Ball Park hosts the Nationals this weekend.
CINCINNATI — The Nationals spent a lot of money this winter on Dan Haren — $13 million for one season of work — because they believe the veteran right-hander can be a consistently effective starter at the back end of their rotation and revert to the form he displayed most of his career, not what he displayed last year in Anaheim.
Tonight we'll get our first official look at Haren, and he'll face a tough task in the Reds' potent, powerful, left-handed-laden lineup, not to mention the cozy dimensions of Great American Ball Park. Haren had a bit of an erratic spring, but he finished strong and, above all else, proclaims himself 100 percent healthy as the season begins.
No changes to Davey Johnson's lineup; it's the same top seven, with Kurt Suzuki back behind the plate for his second start of the young season. I'll be curious to see if Johnson gives anyone tomorrow off, with a day game following a night game. Though as Davey pointed out yesterday, pretty much every one of his regulars insists on playing every day.
Updates to come…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at CINCINNATI REDS
Where: Great American Ball Park
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 186
Weather: Clear, 55 degrees, Wind 10 mph out to RF
CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Significant moment No. 5: The kids step up
- Nationals sign Uggla to minor-league deal
- Significant moment No. 6: Nats win 10 in a row
- Jimmy Rollins: Phillies have missed Werth since he signed with Nats
- Significant moment No. 7: Williams benches Harper
- Significant moment No. 8: Span breaks hit record
- Nats sign veteran infielder Stewart to minor deal
- Ex-Nats pitcher Haren really doesn't want to pitch for the Marlins
- Significant moment No. 9: Soriano out, Storen in
- Nats sign veteran Heath Bell to minor-league deal