Nats open season with sweep of Marlins

Apr 5, 2013, 1:06 AM EDT

Photo by USA Today

All good teams, regardless of sport, have to beat up the little guys when they get the chance. If you play up to certain teams and conversely play down to others, you probably aren’t very good.

So despite playing a Marlins team not expected to compete for much in 2013, the Nationals took pride in completing the series sweep with a 6-1 victory on Thursday. They took care of business against a less talented team and opened their season with three consecutive wins.

“Every game’s a big game, and we’ve had trouble with the Marlins no matter what,” manager Davey Johnson said.

“Not just last year, but through the years. No matter what they put out there, we’ve had trouble with them. So it was good to spank them this series.”

The Nationals split the season series with Miami in 2012, with the Marlins taking nine of the 18 matchups despite winning just 69 total games. In this season opening series, Washington allowed just one run through three games in an altogether dominant showing at Nationals Park.

1. peric - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:11 AM

2. MicheleS - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Whats the over/under on the combined strike out totals of the Upton Brothers. I am guessing Over 325

3. Drew - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:17 AM

The Nats are off to a brisk start — and I'd take the Syracuse lineup over the Astros (current) lineup.On Opening Day in Syracuse, Michah Owings has a 3-run jack and 4 RBIs in the first 5 innings. What's not to like?

4. Joe Seamhead - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:17 AM

peric, if you knew so much about the Nats as you say you would know that Del Unser threw out the ceremonial first pitch for the Nats very first game 2005 in CBP in Philly.

5. baseballswami - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Since when is 15 pitches per inning some kind of laborious outing? It's not amazingly good but it's not that bad, either. The guy gave up some junk hits, one run. First outing. Had to have been pretty similar to Gio's numbers. I will be happy when each starter is past that first game. Haren against the Reds. Ugh. Are we optimistic? Votto. Just say no to pitching to him.

6. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:30 AM

They have to let Lee finish this thing.And my vote for greatest Washington center fielder goes to Willie Tasby.

7. Joe Seamhead - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Jack, my bet would be Papelbon in the 9th, but you never know with Cholly.

8. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Papelbon is warming up. I thinj it's a mistake if they don't let him finish.

9. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:42 AM

OK….getting that first out makes me feel better.

10. Joe Seamhead - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Well, Cliff Lee deserves the win. Hold those guys to 2 hits/ no runs for eight is a helluva effort.Papelbon will blow his share this year, though.

11. Gonat - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Nats are in 1st place all by themselves and Medlen loses his 1st start of the season!

12. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:49 AM

And counting the wild card game. 2 in a row. Poor Chris.

13. baseballswami - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Aaaah. And it looks like the minor leaguers are doing well, too. Sens won, Chiefs are up 7-0 over the Ironpigs.

14. Gonat - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:51 AM

peric said… I hear T-Mo likes TyMo better!Not what his friends call him nor is it his twitter handle. April 04, 2013 9:11 PM ________________________________Do Ryan Zimmerman's friends call him Zim or Zimmy or RZ or Z-man or Mr. Walk-off?Are you saying Tyler Moore only has 1 nickname because of his Twitter handle?OK, cool. I'll continue to call him TyMo when I see him or Big Country as other people call him and maybe I will throw in a T-Mo for you!

15. MicheleS - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:55 AM

SonnyG10.. Saw that with Trent as well. That windmill is going to kill his shoulder. Hope ices it after the games.Also, now re-watching the HROD inning. At least I can watch this time with my eyes open

16. Doc - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Oh Jeez, I'm rootin' for the Philthies in this one with the Braves! What a revoltin' development!!!Time for uuuus to beat the Braves and anyone else beat the Philthies at the same time!

17. NatsLady - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Batters faced: Rodriguez, H 3, Clippard 3, Stammen 3.I this this stat.

18. Gonat - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Just noticed Chase wrote this. Home Run Chase!

19. D'Gourds - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:05 AM

has MASN Gotten Rid Of Sideline Bimbo akra? I Notice Carpenter And Fp Interview the game's Mvp After The Game. Now They Should Get Rid Of Johnny Holliday. Gosh, He's awful.

20. MicheleS - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:07 AM

DGourds. Kristina is in the big time now.She is on MLB Network. She was fun and will be missed.

21. Candide - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:12 AM

D'Gourds,I Want To Thank You For Introducing Me to your Heretofore Unknown Rules For Capitalizing. i Used To Think Capitals Were Only for The First Letter of The First Word In A Sentence, as Well as For Proper Nouns. but You have Introduced Me To A Whole New World. Thanks!gyFNG!!!

22. Joe Seamhead - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Personally, I never would have put Kristina Akra and "bimbo" in the same sentence. I agree with MicheleS that she was fun, and I will add articulate, and she will be missed. Whatever. To each their own.

23. D'Gourds - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:15 AM

She Was Cute, But Was Clueless About Baseball. Her Typical Question Was "When You Hit That Home how Did You feel?" But I Will Give Her This, She Was Better Than Debbie Taylor.

24. Joe Seamhead - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:16 AM

[Candide, feel free to correct my punctuation].

25. Dave - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Candide, that was laugh-out-loud funny.I Mean, It Was Laugh-Out-Loud Funny.

26. Section 222 - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:17 AM

LOL Candide!

27. Dave - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Apparently, MLB Network Disagrees With D'Gourds.

28. Gonat - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:22 AM

I noticed Ryan Zimmerman was back to sliding in feet first today.

29. D'Gourds - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:23 AM

You're Welcome Candide! You Can Actually Thank My Phone Which Does It On Its Own!Btw , I'll Refer To Johnny Holliday As A Bimbo Also! Maybe Bozo? He Has Got To Go! The Worst Is When Carp Takes A Break And He Fills In Doing Play By Play.

30. D'Gourds - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Would Ms. Akra Have Landed That Gig On Mlb If She Looked Like Hillary Clinton? Don't Think So.

31. Candide - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:27 AM

D'Gourds, your phone is a dumbass. This was sent from my phone, FWIW.

32. D'Gourds - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Yeah, I know–It Is!

33. sjm308 - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:37 AM

woops – lower case "know" in his last post.someone might not be telling the truth (wanted to use all caps but my computer won't let me)

34. D'Gourds - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Would I Lie About SomethinG Like That? Come On Sjm! The Phone Is A Dumbass, Plain And Simple. Night Guys And Gals.

35. sjm308 - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Too funny but that "know" is there.By the way – trying to put an end to best Centerfielder – He only played 3 years in Centerfield but Sam Rice ended up in the Hall of Fame so he gets my vote.

36. Section 222 - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Sole possession baby. Sole possession. Last year, the first time we were in sole possession was April 12, after game #7. We were there or tied until May 13, when they fell into 2nd. We got the lead back on May 22, were tied on June 3, and back in the lead for good on June 5. Wire to wire this year?

37. Joe Seamhead - Apr 5, 2013 at 3:03 AM

I doubt the wire to wire. The Braves are for real. So is our schedule outside of the division. I'd love to see it though. Easier on my nerves!

38. baseballswami - Apr 5, 2013 at 3:10 AM

In my dreams, Joe, in my dreams.

39. Joe Seamhead - Apr 5, 2013 at 3:11 AM

BTW, regarding the ceremonial first pitch for the [new] Nats very first game in Philly by Del Unser in 2005:http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050404&content_id=999169&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb I always thought it kind of stunk that the Nats had to start their new franchise on the road.

40. Section 222 - Apr 5, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Hey, what happened to The Baseball Show? I thought it was every Thursday night at 11 pm. Cancelled after one episode?

41. baseballswami - Apr 5, 2013 at 3:15 AM

Starting late tonight.

42. baseballswami - Apr 5, 2013 at 3:21 AM

National League East lesson after three games. The Braves can really hit and score some runs, however they can also be silenced. The Phils still have some pitching, but their team is inconsistent one through nine.

43. Drew - Apr 5, 2013 at 4:08 AM

You know the rout is on in Syracuse when Danny Rosenbaum pinch hits, walks, scores a run and does not pitch.Chiefs take the opener 11-2.

44. baseballswami - Apr 5, 2013 at 5:03 AM

Anyone awake? Waiting for the grown up kid to arrive from out of state in this stinky weather. Talking baseball sure does pass the time.

45. Drew - Apr 5, 2013 at 5:06 AM

Safe travels to your guk, Swami.

46. baseballswami - Apr 5, 2013 at 5:10 AM

Thanks. At least I can bask in the highlights of a good three days of baseball. Even the caps and our two minor league teams won.

47. SonnyG10 - Apr 5, 2013 at 5:17 AM

Just one last check-in Swami, but my eyelids are drooping. Must sign off and hit the sack.

48. baseballswami - Apr 5, 2013 at 5:45 AM

Thanks, guys. Kid and dog arrived in one piece. Unfortunately for me, alarm goes off in a few hours.

49. 320R2S15 - Apr 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Hey, I saw Del Unser play, he was pretty good, but he was no Denard Span.

50. sjm308 - Apr 5, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Good Morning All:Hope Peric doesn't read Boswell this morning, he will definitely be off his list of favorite baseball writers as he discusses the pluses of adding Span and losing Morse.This CF thing got me interested enough to go back through the teams I rooted for. Man! were we horrible in CF!!! The few that even deserve mention are as follows: Jim Busby in the early 50's was capable if nothing else – Albie Pearson won Rookie of the Year in CF in 58 but was 5'6" and was moved to a corner spot in 59 for Bob Allison who also won Rookie of the Year in CF. Great trivia question. Back to Back ROY same team, same position and to make it an even better triva question, the Giants did the same thing in the same years with Orlando Cepeda and Willie McCovey at first base. OK back to CF for our Washington Senators. Allison was moved to RF and the damn team moved to Minnesota!!Our expansion team got the old and damaged Jimmy Piersal and Will Tasby. Don Lock played for several years and was not horrible and he was followed by Del Unser until 1971 when POOF – no more baseball in DC.OK, very long way of saying once again. Span is the finest CF to play in Washington DCPutting all this at the end of a post is probably for the best.Go Nats

51. 320R2S15 - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM

The late Curt Flood might have had something to say about this..

52. Joe Seamhead - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Hey, I'm not anointing Span the best Washington CF of all time, but I do think it's hard to argue that he isn't the best since baseball returned in 2005.

53. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I don't know about finest CF ever but yes, he is clearly better than we have seen in recent times.

54. Doc - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Question brought up by Farid and NJ on the status of Werth's left wrist.In a past interview a few months ago, Werth quoted his surgeon/treating physician as stating that the wrist doesn't gain its' full strength for up to 18 months.Presumably, the 18 months is a rough clinical average. Someone like Werth, who works out regualarly, may be able to reduce the 18 months to a period of time that reflects the bomb that he hit last night.GooooooooooooooooooNats!!!

55. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:36 PM

434' home run on a cold day says something about his wrist, don't ya think?

56. Joe Seamhead - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Hey, Jack, check it out, Werth's walk up got a USA Today plug:http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/04/04/jayson-werth-at-bat-song-is-about-werewolves/2053021/

57. MicheleS - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Got a chuckle out of Kilgores gamer when Werth referred to Haper as the "Little guy"

58. Doc - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Correctomundo NJ!Cold, beginning of the season, and 434 feet of raw left wrist energy!!!! LOL

59. sjm308 - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I left out Flood but like Piersal,his better days had past – on to a new post