Apr 5, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Denard Span was thrown out in his first stolen base attempt of the year.
CINCINNATI — Some four hours before first pitch at Great American Ball Park, Denard Span was getting a tutorial from first base coach Tony Tarasco on his leads and jumps from second base. Nothing out of the ordinary, just a little refresher course of baserunning fundamentals.
Except for one strikingly noticeable aspect of the drill: Span was wearing his mitt.
Some kind of newfangled drill designed to make Span remember to do something with his right hand? Alas, the truth was far less interesting than that.
“I went to go shag [flyballs] at first, and then we ended up doing other stuff,” he said. “The glove was just to protect myself.”
Span has had plenty of opportunity to work on his baserunning
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent