Apr 5, 2013, 10:31 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Denard Span was thrown out in his first stolen base attempt of the year.
CINCINNATI — Some four hours before first pitch at Great American Ball Park, Denard Span was getting a tutorial from first base coach Tony Tarasco on his leads and jumps from second base. Nothing out of the ordinary, just a little refresher course of baserunning fundamentals.
Except for one strikingly noticeable aspect of the drill: Span was wearing his mitt.
Some kind of newfangled drill designed to make Span remember to do something with his right hand? Alas, the truth was far less interesting than that.
“I went to go shag [flyballs] at first, and then we ended up doing other stuff,” he said. “The glove was just to protect myself.”
Span has had plenty of opportunity to work on his baserunning
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts
- Dodgers sign former Phillies free agent bust
- Nats sign son of MLB legend to minor-league deal
- Zimmerman getting used to working with fellow infielders at 1B