Apr 5, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Denard Span was thrown out in his first stolen base attempt of the year.
CINCINNATI — Some four hours before first pitch at Great American Ball Park, Denard Span was getting a tutorial from first base coach Tony Tarasco on his leads and jumps from second base. Nothing out of the ordinary, just a little refresher course of baserunning fundamentals.
Except for one strikingly noticeable aspect of the drill: Span was wearing his mitt.
Some kind of newfangled drill designed to make Span remember to do something with his right hand? Alas, the truth was far less interesting than that.
“I went to go shag [flyballs] at first, and then we ended up doing other stuff,” he said. “The glove was just to protect myself.”
Span has had plenty of opportunity to work on his baserunning
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats strike early on Wacha, beat Cardinals 3-1
- Span plays three innings for Hagerstown in second rehab game
- Ramos takes first swings since breaking left hand
- Denard Span on track to return to Nats this weekend
- Nats call up Xavier Cedeno, send Blake Treinen to Syracuse
- Nationals need a bounce-back vs. Cardinals
- Errors cost Nationals in ugly loss to Cardinals
- The Baseball Show: How can Strasburg turn it around?
- Bryce Harper travels through time in new ad (VIDEO)
- Williams faces first real test as Nationals manager