Apr 5, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Shin-Soo Choo and Brandon Phillips celebrate a Reds win.
Not to completely diminish the Nationals' 3-0 start to the season, but you do have to issue a small disclaimer: It came against a Marlins club that looks like its in for an incredibly long year, with no real offensive threat outside of Giancarlo Stanton and an injury-ravaged rotation.
Yes, the Nationals did what a good team should do against an inferior one. They beat them handily, never really offering any reason to believe they were going to lose any of those three games this week. But you have to be careful not to draw too many conclusions about Davey Johnson's club based solely on its performance against Miami.
That won't still be the case come Sunday night, after the Nats have had a chance to play a full weekend slate against perhaps the toughest opponent they'll face all season: the Reds.
Cincinnati perhaps doesn't get the credit and attention it deserves, but make no mistake, this is one of the very best teams in baseball entering the season. Dusty Baker's boys won 97 games last year, return just about everyone, added a high-OBP leadoff man inRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future