Apr 6, 2013, 11:26 PM EST
Craig Stammen and Wilson Ramos celebrate the end of a wild victory.
CINCINNATI — The line between a postgame clubhouse thumping with music, laughter and good vibes following a big win and a postgame clubhouse silent with players mulling around while questioning their ability to bounce back from a bad loss is razor-thin.
The scene underneath the third-base stands at Great American Ball Park late Saturday afternoon could have been one of dismay, of soul-searching, perhaps even underlying panic. The Nationals, fresh off a record-setting, 15-0 thumping at the hands of the Reds, had just blown a 5-1 lead late and were on the verge of dropping their second straight game in demoralizing fashion.
But the moment Craig Stammen got Jay Bruce to whiff at a curveball with the tying run on second base in the bottom of the 11th inning of a wild afternoon on the banks of the Ohio River, none of that mattered. Inside the clubhouse minutes later, the music blared, everybody was in a joyous mood and whatever blemishes there were during this 7-6 victory seemed insignificant in the bigger picture.
What if the Nationals had lost?
“I don’t even want to think about that,” right fielder Jayson Werth said. “Obviously, it would be drastically different. What I liked about the game is we continued to fight.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?