Game 5: Nats at Reds

Apr 6, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ross Detwiler faces Mike Leake today at Great American Ball Park.

CINCINNATI — To a man, the Nationals all spoke last night about the need to "flush" away that 15-0 debacle of a ballgame and return anew this afternoon. The good news is that the quick turnaround didn't offer much time to rehash and analyze the most-lopsided loss in team history, so it wasn't hard to shift focus to Game 2 of the weekend series with the Reds.

Davey Johnson will, however, be without one of his big guys. Adam LaRoche has been dealing with a stiff back for a couple of days and had to come out of last night's game when the condition got worse. He's sitting today, and it sounds like there's a good chance he'll sit again tomorrow. (More details coming in a full post.) So Chad Tracy gets the start today at first base, slotting right into LaRoche's No. 5 hole. Davey did say he could use Tyler Moore later in the game if the Reds bring in a left-handed reliever.

Ross Detwiler, meanwhile, becomes the final member of the Nationals' rotation to debut this season, hoping to shut down this potent Cincinnati lineup that caused so much damage last night. The lefty does seem like a better matchup from Washington's standpoint, but we'll see if that actually holds true.

Updates to come, so please check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at CINCINNATI REDS
Where: Great American Ball Park
Gametime: 1:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, Ch. 9
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Partly cloudy, 58 degrees, Wind 12 mph in from CF

NATIONALS
CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper

Read more ยป

1. timeless46 - Apr 6, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Can't wait for it to start.

2. SCNatsFan - Apr 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Interesting it is Tracy not Moore. Know one poster who won't be happy about that.

3. NatsLady - Apr 6, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Read this about Scutaro. Wonder if ALR's back is slowing his start also.Marco Scutaro, who hit everything in sight as a Giant last season, has one bunt single in 15 at-bats and acknowledged that his lower-back injury from the end of spring training is contributing."I don't want to put an excuse," he said, "but after the back locked up I got into some bad habits. I'm jumping too much at the plate. These days are going to come in a season."Scutaro was wearing an ice pack on his back as he said he has "good days and bad days."Read more: http://www.sfchronicle.com/giants/article/Behind-Scutaro-s-slow-start-for-SF-Giants-4414213.php#ixzz2PhOcqEhy

4. Candide - Apr 6, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Last night, Bob and FP were going on about how Bailey was throwing almost nothing but fastballs, that he could get away with it because he was moving them in and out, up and down, on the paint all the time.That could be Det today.

5. D'Gourds - Apr 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Leake is a righty. Why not start Tracy?This is a big game for Detweiler to step up and become a true leader on this club. Let's see if he can be a stopper and get us back on track. Gosh was Haren awful last night. Low velocity, poor location and no movement = 15-0. I really hope this was an aberation. If not, what a waste of $13 million! Henry Rodriguez is atrocious. Please, let's end this experiment and release the dude. Billy Beane won that trade. Get over it. No one will probably pick him up anyway and we could get him back on a minor league contract. We're too good a team to be wasting major league playing time on an experiment. I think Det is going to come through big time today. Go Nats!

6. TheManBearPig - Apr 6, 2013 at 4:07 PM

There was some good news from last night's game – Desmond and Espinosa both getting extra base hits. The Nats really need both of them hitting.

7. Laddie Blah Blah - Apr 6, 2013 at 4:07 PM

"This is a big game for Detweiler to step up and become a true leader on this club."He already did that, in spades, during the playoff series against the Cards last fall. Detwiler has come into his own, and is one of the best, if not the very best, no. 5 starter in the ML.

8. D'Gourds - Apr 6, 2013 at 4:07 PM

ALR has really hit the ball hard so far so I don't think the back has been the cause of his 0 hits. But there was a play where Desmond made an amazing grab on a sharply hit short hop grounder and threw wide inside to first for an error. I was surprised that ALR couldn't come off the bag to get it, and the ball went to the railing. ALR looked slow on that one. Maybe his back affected him on that one. Who knows? He'll be good soon.

9. Sam - Apr 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM

As I was falling asleep last night, I thought to myself, "I bet Davey starts Tracy tomorrow to keep the left, right thing going." Sure enough… Personally, I'd prefer to see Moore get some more PAs, but my opinion doesn't matter. In Davey I trust.

10. D'Gourds - Apr 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I agree, Blah Blah, that he was awesome in the playoffs. I guess I meant it is another opportunity to solidify his leadership role. It takes a special pitcher to turn around the mometum after a bad loss. What he did in the playoffs after that bad loss to the Cards the night before was just that. I think he'll do it again today.

11. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Funny how ordinary Davey is with a bad pitcher on the mound. He's always genius when his staff is only giving up a run or two. Haren is washed upDuke is low qualityHenry is well, HenryRizzo dissed three lefties who contributed mightily to our monster 2012 — but he let go. Were left with Zach Duke and Henry? good luck.meanwhile we're now TEACHING our great acquisition to steal bases?????Do you think Seattle is teaching Morse to hit??Nope, if they're not laughing at the Nats yet, they will be soon. Span is an average player — and a lousy basestealer — Rizzo f'ud up BIG TIME on this trade — and on his off season handling of our bullpen and getting rid of Jackson and picking up a damaged, out of shape, washed up Haren.But I have been saying this all year. The Nats are not as good as last year and will win 5-8 less games.

12. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Davey's penchant for the left/right thing.How childish. Davey thinks he's playing Strat-O-Matic. He lets the best lineup get crowded out by his L/R novelty.Oh Davey, you are so grossly overrated.The Emperor wears No Clothes.Davey is a genius when his pitching staff is blowing em away. Very average at best when they're not.

13. Sam - Apr 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I think you're wrong, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.Haren was great down the stretch last year. I think there's a good chance that he can pitch well again. Duke is the 7th reliever out of the pen. Big deal. He's no worse than Gorzelanny.Span is well above average. He gets on base more than Morse, and he plays significantly better defense. And he sees more pitches per PA. All good stuff. Morse is off to a hot start, but if the past is any indication, he will be what he is: an average to above average player (around 2-3 WAR).

14. D'Gourds - Apr 6, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Steve, while I agree that left-right matchups are over used, I think you are missing out on Davey's real strength–his teams have confidence in themselves. They bounce back from bad losses. Davey sticks with players he believes in and allows them the time to grow (much to our joy with Desmond and dismay with HROD). I do believe in him. Yes, he does make mistakes (like pitching E-Jax in relief last October), but I'd take him over anyone to manage the Nats at this time.

15. Alphabet Soup Erik - Apr 6, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I am ready to see Rendon. Werth in the 2-hole isn't going to work. Pitchers are not going to walk him with Harper and Zimmerman on deck, and he isn't a good enough hitter to hit 2nd and not walk. Pitchers are not afraid of him and I see a big drop in OBP. Put Desmond there or bring up Rendon.

16. Candide - Apr 6, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I was wondering when the LoD was going to show up…

17. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Sour-cherry picking …

18. NatsLady - Apr 6, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Rizzo made three big moves (Soriano, Haren, Span; several "non-moves" (Burnett, Gorzelanny, M. Gonzalez); and some minor moves (Abad, Chris Young, etc). I for one am not giving him a grade baseed on four (count 'em FOUR) regular season games.

19. NatsLady - Apr 6, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I'm counting Morse/Span/ALR as one "move."

20. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 6, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Expect the trolls to show up about 57more times this season.. That would be after every loss.

21. waddu eye no - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:12 PM

The emperor is wearing a manager if the year award

22. waddu eye no - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:12 PM

The emperor is wearing a manager if the year award

23. Sam - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:14 PM

104 wins. I like where your head's at.

24. Joe Seamhead - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Somebody handing out "stupid" pills to some of the bloggers today.

25. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I know I'm talking to the Pollyanna crowd, so I expect an awful lot of attacks. So do what you all do best: attack posters who don't see the Nats entirely through rose colored lenses.But it is what it is. I'm just glad that you can read my opinions — I hope I'm wrong. But I don't think so.

26. Cwj - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Who the hell is Steve Hayes?Jeez I go away for a few months and we get a clown like him here…

27. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:32 PM

D'Gourds: I agree with you on Davey's strength – I agree 1000%. But that only goes so far. You simply cannot weaken a team in the offseason and expect a Rah Rah manager to make up for those serious mistakes. I fear Rizzo's weakening of the club may not be overcome by brotherhood in the clubhouse. But we'll see.Go Nats – overcome Rizzo and Davey

28. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:33 PM

CWJ: why the personal attacks? I haven't attacked anyone. I have criticized Nats management? I'm not allowed to do that? Or if one does, you're run out of here by a barrage of Ad Hominem attacks?

29. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:36 PM

And I could ask: Who is CWJ? and really, who are you? To state "I go away for a few months and the clowns come in." Are you the forum moderator? Are you the forum policeman or enforcer? Or are you the forum jerk? Rather than attack me personally, attack my opinions. I'd love to get it on with you – good luck arguing with me. Good luck

30. Cwj - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Steve- You're right. I apologize. Thought you were an O's fan posting on a Nats blog.

31. sjm308 - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:40 PM

actually, I think that posts from Steve are good for discussion. I just wonder why he waits for a loss to come out instead of when we are going well? He likes Morse, was not crazy about keeping LaRoche and thinks Davey over manages. I would point out that Davey did win Manager of the Year and that there will be lots of discussions concerning Morse/LaRoche all year (until Morse gets injured). I also think Span was an excellent pickup.Keep us sharp Steve, Keep us sharp.

32. Cwj - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Steve- I'm no one :-)I'm hating these Reds and especially Dusty Baker already.Like Detwiler was trying to kill Votto or something…

33. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Interesting, albeit anecdotal stat.ESPN Baseball Fantasy LeaguesSpan: 11.2% ownedMorse: 100% ownedhilarious

34. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:42 PM

If you were a pitcher, where would you rather pitch? Colorado or Cincinnati?

35. Cwj - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Steve- No doubt because of Morse's power.It was a toss up for me, but I do like Span.

36. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Why does Davey have his strongest arm playing Left field? Is he afraid to offend Worth?

37. Cwj - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Steve- Because most hitters are righties and tend to hit the ball to left field. More chances of throwing someone out.

38. peric - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Detwiler looks more like a #4 starter … far superior to Harren?If Davey loves the left-right-left thing why does he place Harren after JZimmnn when Haren definitely appears to be on the decline.There does appear to be some veteran preference going on.

39. Joe Seamhead - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Yep,double dose of stupid pills handed out.

40. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:50 PM

SJM I was a little busy this week — work – life, things like that. But I had already posted plenty just before the start of this season — and it wasn't the time or place to comment on the slow start on 3-4 of our starters. Why? I do feel our bullpen isn't balanced — it was last year. I do feel that LaRoche should have been allowed to walk and Morse should have remained. But you know that opinion (ad nauseum) already. I'll try to be more positive because I love the Nats. I'm just a little out of sorts because I think Rizzo hurt the team.Go Nats

41. Cwj - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:50 PM

YES! Harper hits a bomb!!

42. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Harper is a Super Star.

43. peric - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Now, if we can just get Tyler Moore in the lineup … we'll get some consistent run production …

44. JaneB - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Bam bam!

45. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM

"Why certainly I'd like to have that fellow who hits a home run every time at bat, who strikes out every opposing batter when he's pitching, who throws strikes to any base or the plate when he's playing outfield and who's always thinking about two innings ahead just what he'll do to baffle the other team. Any manager would want a guy like that playing for him. The only trouble is to get him to put down his cup of beer and come down out of the stands and do those things." — former Pittsburgh manager Danny Murtaugh

46. Joe Seamhead - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM

BTW, my last comment wasn't directed at you, peric.

47. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM

And I will try to get over the Morse dumping and bring a better4 mood here.

48. peric - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Yep,double dose of stupid pills handed out.Once again the brain-damaged pot calling the other kettles black.

49. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:52 PM

"It's like most anything. If you want to be a loser, there's always a way to dwell on the negative. If you want to win, there's always a way to think positively." – Tony La Russa

50. peric - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:52 PM

BTW, my last comment wasn't directed at you, peric.Sure the moron who probably thinks Tim Cullen was better than Danny Espinosa. Seamhead full of those rubber bands but no brains to be seen.

51. timeless46 - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Love the Murtaugh quote. He was a good manager

52. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:55 PM

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." – Earl Weaver.

53. Joe Seamhead - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:56 PM

peric, when did I ever even mention Tim Cullen on this blog?

54. djinFl. - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:58 PM

The reason Harper is in left is that he had not proven he could hit the cut off man. To many runners were able to advance when he would throw to get a runner he had no chance of. Davey made it clear that was the reason.

55. peric - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:59 PM

And I will try to get over the Morse dumping and bring a better4 mood here.The main reasons Morse is gone are in the following order:1. Morse was on a 1 and done contract. 2. Tyler Moore actually was superior using advanced stats as a metric. In fact Moore was the best extra base hitter even over Harper. Moore is under 30, under team control, cheaper and fields the same positions.3. Davey wanted another left-handed power bat in the lineup in addition to Harper. 4. Rizzo wanted those young pitchers to replenish the bare cupboards.The problems is Moore isn't in the starting lineup where he belongs.

56. Dave - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Good lord. Peric, the man just said he was not directing that comment at you. So you attack him. You really make these threads unreadable quite often. But you know that already, I guess.

57. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Why do you throw a pitcher a curve?

58. djinFl. - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:00 PM

My first mlb foul ball, off the bat of Mr Cullen

59. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Sin chu was a good pickup for cincy

60. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:01 PM

heisy shows great speed

61. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Did Chad have his foot on? Ump thought so

62. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:04 PM

foot on!!!

63. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I feel an Espi Homer today

64. Cwj - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Yes, replay shows his foot touched the base…barely.

65. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:05 PM

66. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Espi just may have fixed that hole in his swing. Not enough is being made about that — it's Huge!! Espi will be a literal monster if that is the case

67. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:07 PM

If Espi is 'all fixed" it may be time soon to bat Espi 2nd — moving Desi to 6 and Werth 7

68. Cwj - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Funny how often pitchers nibble when pitching to other pitchers.

69. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:08 PM

If they ever make a movie about Leake (which they probably wont), Decaprio will be chosen to play him — they look alike

70. Cwj - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Mark Z- Tracy's foot was on the base.MASN had it on replay

71. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Prediction: Det wins between 17-21 games this year — Haren will be gone by Memorial day

72. Cwj - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I doubt Mark reads these comments very often though :)

73. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Whats up with Desmond? He's playing like he did 2 years ago. 3 errors already? His throwing mechanics have changed — he's dropping his arm down before his throw — different release point. Cant the coaches see this?

74. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:15 PM

watch out, frazier can hit the Ball!!!

75. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Careful, Det — you forgot to stop in your last pitch

76. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Frazier makes Desmond pay for that error

77. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:21 PM

walking #8 to get to leake — okay, but don't throw him offspeed

78. Cwj - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Hopefully nothing but fastballs to Leake this time around

79. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Thanks Desmonfd. his WAR must be negative so far for the year.

80. Cwj - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Detwiler at 93mph today. Nice.

81. NattieNation13 - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Anyone concerned that every single hit Bryce seems to get is to right field? I can't remember the last time he singled to left. Even his run of 11 in a row in ST seemed to be to right

82. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:22 PM

to LeakeFastball — swing/missFastball – swing/missfastball — swing – foulfastball – swing and Miss you're out!!good job!

83. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Det pitched well that inning.

84. Cwj - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Manassas- Desmond will be fine :)Detwiler pitching a very good game. Come on Nats give him more than 2 runs…

85. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Commercial Sponsors so farHead and shouldersWeitz and lutzenburgNational Aquarium

86. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Span L-7 that's the extent of his power

87. Cwj - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:25 PM

NattieNation- No, I'm not concerned about Bryce :-)

88. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Werth does well Gluten-free

89. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Leake vs. Harper Round 3Leake is pitching worriedLeake escapes barely

90. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Zim is due for the tater

91. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:30 PM

This ump: a pitchers ump

92. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Come on Leake bring it in to Zim

93. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Leake Does NOt Want To Throw to Zim

94. NatsNut - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM

You're right NattieNation. I'm really starting to worry about that kid. ;)

95. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Leake wins that battle

96. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:35 PM

didn't look like it hit him

97. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:36 PM

replay does not confirm the hit batsman

98. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:37 PM

This is where Votto is paid to produce

99. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Harper just doesn't get a good jump on flies yet. Must be hard going from a catcher to an outfielder

100. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Go ahead, Det!!

101. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:40 PM

last couple innings Detwiler pitching like Houdini. Good job Ross.

102. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Det is outstandingly commanding today

103. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM

McClellan misses another pitch!

104. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Desmond is swinging from the heels, pulling his head out and isn't even looking at the ball as it crosses the plate — lets go, Eck, talk to him

105. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Espi is getting ready to go on a tear

106. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:46 PM

hmm just missed that 3-1 pitch

107. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:47 PM

expect off speed, Espi has you set up

108. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:47 PM

great at bat, Espi!!!!!

109. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Is it meor is there somebody talking to themselves here?

110. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Go ahead, Wilson! much needed

111. JaneB - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Wilsooooooon!

112. D'Gourds - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:54 PM

FP Is A Genius!

113. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Wilson's tater rattled Leake

114. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Good job Ramos.

115. Joe Seamhead - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Yeah, that Zimmerman guy is done at third…not!Jack, it reminds me of a favorite LP album with a scratch on it in here today.

116. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:07 PM

NatsJack: Why ginning up attacks on people? Just talk baseball. No one is attacking you

117. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Werth is on fire

118. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Citizens' Park: what goes around comes around

119. Steady Eddie - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I guess JDub's Gluten-free wrist is OK.

120. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Werth

121. djinFl. - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Heck of a day Jason.

122. peric - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I bet gluten free reads this blog … and hates when I diss him … just like last season …note to self: keep it up.

123. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:10 PM

So the old guy with a bad wrist went yard again?

124. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Will Det go 9?

125. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:11 PM

last play pending …

126. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Hit you knew it

127. djinFl. - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Sorry Steve but that was a great line by NJ. You were guilty.

128. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Werth could play "The Dude" in the Big Lebowski

129. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I wish Zim would not hit grounders wuth a man on first. among league leaders in double play yearly as he hits it hard and runs not quick enough.

130. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:14 PM

? guilty of what, exactly?

131. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Yes, but Zim is a .300 hitter with power — I'll accept the glitch

132. Joe Seamhead - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Did someone say something about this lineup being void of HR power?

133. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:17 PM

What day will Haren and Henry be gone?Haren: by Memorial DayHenry: to be determined (maybe by All star time)

134. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:17 PM

The only thing about that poster whose name I can never remember that literally pisses me off is that his posts make me laugh so hard I've had to double up on mu weekly Depends purchase.

135. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:17 PM

great catch Espi — where o where is Rendon going to play????

136. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Clip is sharp

137. Joe Seamhead - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:19 PM

This past week, on Late Night with David Letterman: Letterman: "You know what people are doing now?Remember the movie 'Jurassic Park' about the dinosaurs?It's coming back in 3D, so you can watch the dinosaurs running around in 3D.And I thought – that's exciting.But you know what?Honestly, if I want to watch dinosaurs run around, I'll just go to a Yankees game."

138. Steady Eddie - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:21 PM

"Sharp" is what Det was.A dominating monster is what Clip was.Nats Lady has it: Fear the Goggles!

139. Joe Seamhead - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:22 PM

LOL, Steady!

140. Timothy Folk - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:24 PM

… peric is annoying

141. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I have come to accept and ignore personal remarks. I don't think this blog will ever stop that. Just saying!

142. happy 2 pylon - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:28 PM

http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0371025/He's baaaaaackk

143. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I saw Span catch tons those as a Twin. His first real good chsnce to make a good catch as A Nat, I was less than impressed.

144. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Storen is ticking me off.

145. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Storen is altogether too hittable — was last year too, as we all know

146. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Davey could leave Clip in for 2 — but that's not his style, is it?

147. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I'm lobbying for Espi for the gold glove this year. shoulda won it last year

148. SCNatsFan - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Nice play by Danny

149. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Good job Espi.

150. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:39 PM

what on earth is wrong Desmond Lack of focus?

151. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Four errors on Desi — just not the same Desmond, definitely notHarp shows his age — stupid throw

152. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Desmond's WAR is terrible so far.

153. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I was thinking the as Manassas; it would have been a great time for Span to sell me on him with that catchHe didn't make it — still has some selling to do

154. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Shades of Game 5 with Cards

155. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Desi is hitting .105 with 4 errors — trouble at home, Desi??

156. JaneB - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Ian will be ok. But man he is not our normal Ian. THANK YOU DREW!

157. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:43 PM

haha look at Storen swaggering after his K — come one, Storen, that isn't you — a fist pump would have been more fitting — you needed that out and were lucky to get it

158. JaneB - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Steve, seriously? Seriously? There's negativity and there's mean spiritedness. These are people. not just players, Sheesh.

159. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Fielding by Span, Desmod Harper poor in 8th. Span caught almost all like that last year. Desmond 4 E now. Harper overthrow was the only problem last year.Lets get a couple runs back.

160. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Anyone got Desi's cell phone #? I want to text him to take his meds before all the games

161. Scott Margenau - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Steve Hayes. I agree with most of your comments. Also TMo should be in not chad. He needs the bats, Tracy is not the future. Dumb move.

162. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:47 PM

The error by Desmond also guarenteed Votto would bat. Thanks Ian. Make this easier.

163. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Span gets the collar" 0-5

164. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM

We should have opened up the pocket book and signed Bourne

165. Scott Margenau - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Werth near deep again

166. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Yep, agreed Scott. Exactly — Davey's stuck on his l'r'l'r combos is what I think — another reason why Davey's not my favorite manager

167. Scott Margenau - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Stat to stat Bourne not much better…look at carreer

168. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Put em in the Book, Raffy. Fatten up my Saves column in the Fantasy leagues

169. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Span last year caught all those. So now with a new team new fans he needs to do exactly what he did in Minnesota. That is not asking to much. It asking to do tge normal.Phillips as second out probably would have set up an easy 3rd out.

170. Scott Margenau - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Let's see how sori does.

171. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Imagine what Bench, Frank Robinson, Tony Perez or Foster would have done in this bandbox?

172. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Soriano: Mr. Cool

173. Scott Margenau - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Soot. Grrr

174. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:54 PM

that was a tough pitch — poor sequencing — blame that on the signal caller

175. Scott Margenau - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Dumb pitch

176. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:55 PM

starts 0-2 count. Sorianno you need to save this not blow it. Bullpen only one guy in it today who was ready.

177. Scott Margenau - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Malox time NL

178. djinFl. - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:56 PM

You ever think it takes a few visits to learn not only how to play the park, but the individual batters. Span will be just fine. It has been a long time since I have heard this much negativity. Chill

179. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:56 PM

one out

180. Steady Eddie - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:56 PM

No, Steve, you don't blame that on the signal caller. From where Wilson was set up, that slider was supposed to break inside but went in the wrong direction, right across the middle of the zone.

181. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:58 PM

djin: you must not have been here last year when Espi was on the hot seat — or in 2011 when Desi got ragged on all yearEven so, Span has yet to prove his worth — comments on his play are most appropriate.

182. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:59 PM

let the winning run come to the plate. Why?

183. Scott Margenau - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Damn it.

184. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Rout would have caught that.

185. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Yeah, Raffy, "I only need 6 games to get ready for the season." Haha yeah, right

186. Scott Margenau - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Looks like grapefruit game

187. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Might as well have HROD pitch.

188. Steady Eddie - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:00 PM

And once again Soriano put the ball in the wrong part of the plate and then WP'd Votto home.

189. JaneB - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Ugh. SOriano has Bad Henry disease now.

190. Timothy Folk - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Hold on to your butts

191. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:01 PM

The last 2 pitchers totally choked today.

192. Scott Margenau - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Ty zim

193. SCNatsFan - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:02 PM

This team is just paying stupid, flat. Blame it on whatever you want but you can't have this many errors, miss this many plays and give teams a chance. You can't win based on reviews by pundits you have to do it between the lines.

194. Joe Seamhead - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Nobody moving Ryan to first anytime soon.

195. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:02 PM

it all goes back Span's non catch in the 8th. He started the whole mess.

196. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Harper needs to start it again.Again Det gets screwed by his fielders and 2 of his relievers

197. Joe Seamhead - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Well, win, lose, or draw, it sure is an exciting game.

198. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Zim is fantastic sure saved Soriano more trouble

199. Steve Hayes - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Thanks Rizzo for weakening a 98 win team

200. Scott Margenau - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Scfan. 100% correct. Glad not everyone has to be happy shiny people all the time or get flamed.