Apr 6, 2013, 2:19 AM EDT
Dan Haren surrendered four home runs in only four innings.
Game in a nutshell: Hmm, remember when everyone was debating whether the Nationals' pitching staff would ever give up a run? Yeah, not so much anymore. The Reds feasted on everybody Davey Johnson sent to the mound on this night, racking up six home runs (most ever surrendered by the Nats) and 15 total runs (most allowed since 2007). Dan Haren, in a debut performance he won't want to remember, made it through only four innings, serving up the first four homers. Zach Duke, Henry Rodriguez and Ryan Mattheus then couldn't stop the bleeding. When it was all said and done, the Nationals had suffered the most-lopsided defeat in club history (2005-present) and pretty much erased all the good vibes from their 3-0 start to the season. Sure, it's only one game, and it won't mean anything tomorrow. But this was a legitimate, old-fashioned beat down at the hands of a very good opponent.
Hitting lowlight: With an 0-for-3 night, Adam LaRoche now finds himself in an 0-for-13 funk to begin the season. LaRoche, of course, is a notoriously slow starter (except for last season) but this doesn't appear to be one of those cases. He has legitimately hit the ballRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win