Apr 6, 2013, 2:19 AM EDT
Dan Haren surrendered four home runs in only four innings.
Game in a nutshell: Hmm, remember when everyone was debating whether the Nationals' pitching staff would ever give up a run? Yeah, not so much anymore. The Reds feasted on everybody Davey Johnson sent to the mound on this night, racking up six home runs (most ever surrendered by the Nats) and 15 total runs (most allowed since 2007). Dan Haren, in a debut performance he won't want to remember, made it through only four innings, serving up the first four homers. Zach Duke, Henry Rodriguez and Ryan Mattheus then couldn't stop the bleeding. When it was all said and done, the Nationals had suffered the most-lopsided defeat in club history (2005-present) and pretty much erased all the good vibes from their 3-0 start to the season. Sure, it's only one game, and it won't mean anything tomorrow. But this was a legitimate, old-fashioned beat down at the hands of a very good opponent.
Hitting lowlight: With an 0-for-3 night, Adam LaRoche now finds himself in an 0-for-13 funk to begin the season. LaRoche, of course, is a notoriously slow starter (except for last season) but this doesn't appear to be one of those cases. He has legitimately hit the ballRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Friday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Friday's games
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman's back as Nationals face Marlins
- The Baseball Show: Are Nats favorites in National League? (VIDEO)
- Nats rolling and about to become complete
- Fister, Nats do enough right to get by Marlins
- Zimmerman rejoining Nats, likely to play Saturday
- Fister seeks win No. 15 tonight in Miami
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?