Apr 6, 2013, 2:19 AM EST
Dan Haren surrendered four home runs in only four innings.
Game in a nutshell: Hmm, remember when everyone was debating whether the Nationals' pitching staff would ever give up a run? Yeah, not so much anymore. The Reds feasted on everybody Davey Johnson sent to the mound on this night, racking up six home runs (most ever surrendered by the Nats) and 15 total runs (most allowed since 2007). Dan Haren, in a debut performance he won't want to remember, made it through only four innings, serving up the first four homers. Zach Duke, Henry Rodriguez and Ryan Mattheus then couldn't stop the bleeding. When it was all said and done, the Nationals had suffered the most-lopsided defeat in club history (2005-present) and pretty much erased all the good vibes from their 3-0 start to the season. Sure, it's only one game, and it won't mean anything tomorrow. But this was a legitimate, old-fashioned beat down at the hands of a very good opponent.
Hitting lowlight: With an 0-for-3 night, Adam LaRoche now finds himself in an 0-for-13 funk to begin the season. LaRoche, of course, is a notoriously slow starter (except for last season) but this doesn't appear to be one of those cases. He has legitimately hit the ballRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Ben Revere fill void left by Span?