Apr 6, 2013, 4:29 PM EDT
Adam LaRoche came out of last night’s game in the seventh inning.
CINCINNATI — Hampered for several days by a stiff back that tightened up worse during last night’s blowout loss to the Reds, first baseman Adam LaRoche is out of the Nationals’ lineup this afternoon and may miss tomorrow’s series finale at Great American Ball Park as well.
LaRoche, who came out of last night’s game in the seventh inning when he felt tight trying to swing in his third at-bat, hoped he could be back in the lineup today after getting treatment. But the veteran (who has opened the season 0-for-13) was still moving around tentatively this morning in the Nationals’ clubhouse and proclaimed himself unable to start.
“I don’t need it to be totally gone to be able to go play and be productive,” he said. “I just need to be able to move around a little bit. Right now, it’s tough to bend over and get back up.”
LaRoche said no MRI or other medical tests have been planned for now, because the injury appears to be nothing more than a tight muscle in the middle of his back. That leaves him encouraged this isn’t something that will be a long-term concern.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch