Apr 6, 2013, 4:29 PM EDT
Adam LaRoche came out of last night’s game in the seventh inning.
CINCINNATI — Hampered for several days by a stiff back that tightened up worse during last night’s blowout loss to the Reds, first baseman Adam LaRoche is out of the Nationals’ lineup this afternoon and may miss tomorrow’s series finale at Great American Ball Park as well.
LaRoche, who came out of last night’s game in the seventh inning when he felt tight trying to swing in his third at-bat, hoped he could be back in the lineup today after getting treatment. But the veteran (who has opened the season 0-for-13) was still moving around tentatively this morning in the Nationals’ clubhouse and proclaimed himself unable to start.
“I don’t need it to be totally gone to be able to go play and be productive,” he said. “I just need to be able to move around a little bit. Right now, it’s tough to bend over and get back up.”
LaRoche said no MRI or other medical tests have been planned for now, because the injury appears to be nothing more than a tight muscle in the middle of his back. That leaves him encouraged this isn’t something that will be a long-term concern.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats "what the doctor ordered"
- Instant analysis: Nationals 8, Diamondbacks 1
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win