Apr 6, 2013, 4:27 AM EDT
The scoreboard at Great American Ball Park tells the story.
CINCINNATI — In their long and mostly inglorious history, the Washington Nationals have lost more than their share of games in either lopsided or bizarre fashion. They lost a game by 14 runs. They lost a game in which they led 9-0. They lost a game on a walk-off grand slam. They even lost a game on a walk-off balk.
But in none of their 704 previous losses since arriving in town were the Nationals so thoroughly dominated as they were Friday by the Cincinnati Reds. By night’s end, the scoreboard read 15-0, the most-lopsided defeat in club history. It didn’t even feel like it was that close.
“We got our you-know-what kicked,” manager Davey Johnson said.
Remember all those good vibes and “World Series or Bust” talk after the Nationals swept the Marlins to open their season 3-0? Nobody was talking like that at the end of this whitewashing at Great American Ball Park, least of all the man behind the plate who had an up-close view to each of Cincinnati’s 19 hits, six of them home runs.
“I take a lot of pride in my work behind the dish, calling a lot of pitches and working on getting pitchers through the game,” Kurt Suzuki said. “And when stuff like this happens, it just seems like you’re handcuffed out there, like nothing can go right. … I felt pretty helpless out there.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
OCT. 7: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year
- Nats' plan to stay fresh before Game 1 of the NLDS
- Denard Span sets Nats hits record to add to special day