Apr 6, 2013, 4:27 AM EDT
The scoreboard at Great American Ball Park tells the story.
CINCINNATI — In their long and mostly inglorious history, the Washington Nationals have lost more than their share of games in either lopsided or bizarre fashion. They lost a game by 14 runs. They lost a game in which they led 9-0. They lost a game on a walk-off grand slam. They even lost a game on a walk-off balk.
But in none of their 704 previous losses since arriving in town were the Nationals so thoroughly dominated as they were Friday by the Cincinnati Reds. By night’s end, the scoreboard read 15-0, the most-lopsided defeat in club history. It didn’t even feel like it was that close.
“We got our you-know-what kicked,” manager Davey Johnson said.
Remember all those good vibes and “World Series or Bust” talk after the Nationals swept the Marlins to open their season 3-0? Nobody was talking like that at the end of this whitewashing at Great American Ball Park, least of all the man behind the plate who had an up-close view to each of Cincinnati’s 19 hits, six of them home runs.
“I take a lot of pride in my work behind the dish, calling a lot of pitches and working on getting pitchers through the game,” Kurt Suzuki said. “And when stuff like this happens, it just seems like you’re handcuffed out there, like nothing can go right. … I felt pretty helpless out there.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals again can't beat struggling Reds
- Span, Escobar exit game vs. Reds with apparent injuries
- Max Scherzer gets All-Star nod, two Nats left out
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds
- More revealing Bryce Harper Body Issue photos released
- Bryce Harper makes decision on Home Run Derby
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion