Game 6: Nats at Reds

Apr 7, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg faces Johnny Cueto in today's series finale.

CINCINNATI — This was billed as a big-time series when the Nationals arrived in town on Friday, and through two games it's certainly lived up to its reputation. The Reds steamrolled the Nats, 15-0, in Game 1. The Nationals won a wild, 7-6, 11-game yesterday. Now comes the decisive finale, with a big-time pitching matchup: Stephen Strasburg vs. Johnny Cueto.

"Two of the best teams in the National League, and we've got our aces going in the rubber match of the series," right fielder Jayson Werth said. "This is what it's all about. This is why you play. This is why people pay to see us play."

The latest Adam LaRoche update: He's out of the lineup again, but he said he woke up this morning feeling "a lot better." He was thinking about trying to convince Davey Johnson to let him play today, but at worst he fully expects to be in the lineup Tuesday against the White Sox.

Full story on LaRoche's status coming up, and plenty of updates and analysis on the game right here…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at CINCINNATI REDS
Where: Great American Ball Park
Gametime: 1:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, Ch. 9, MLB.tv (free today)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Partly cloudy, 66 degrees, Wind 14 mph out to LF

CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper

Read more ยป

1. NatsJim - Apr 7, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I hope Adam doesn't talk his way into the lineup, rest it until Tuesday – no need to turn what is hopefully a short-term problem into a lingering issue.Series win today – Let's Go Nats!!

2. sjm308 - Apr 7, 2013 at 3:44 PM

OK with LaRoche taking another two days off. Surprised not to see Tyler Moore in the lineup. Guess Davey is not channeling Peric.Wonder how many other great pitching matchups we will see this season. Kershaw, Cain, Lannan (oops)Really want to see us keep winning series. Go Nats!!

3. Doc - Apr 7, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Looks like the game will be on MLB Network. Hope so, getting tired of being blacked out so Selig can keep his cold dead hand on his $18 million/yr.Listening to Charlie & Dave is good, but suffering GameDay graphics is about as exciting as watching paint dry!!!!GooooooooooooooooooooNats!!!!!

4. mick - Apr 7, 2013 at 3:53 PM

thank you Natsfan1 great to be backshould be a good one, I bet score is 2-1 either way today

5. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 7, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Was Marvin Hudson HP umpire in Strasburg's debut? Just wondering.

6. Steady Eddie - Apr 7, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Sjm — TMo isn't in because Cueto is a RHP.

7. mick - Apr 7, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Eeddie, I would still like to TMoore get a shot as I do Lombo

8. mick - Apr 7, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Reds are tough, glad to get them over with early

9. MicheleS - Apr 7, 2013 at 3:57 PM

GYFNG.. Let's take the series boys!

10. mick - Apr 7, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Charlie and Dave are great, they are updating scores around MLB more frequently, it seems.

11. mick - Apr 7, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Hiya Michelle!!!!!

12. NatsJim - Apr 7, 2013 at 3:59 PM

IIRC Tyler had better splits against RH'ers last year, but not all RH'ers are created equally… probably best to let him get his first start against someone other than Mr. Cueto.

13. mick - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I agree NatsJim, Mr Cueto, I will not miss

14. perspective dweeb - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Ramos should be playing today.. stick w the hot hand

15. mick - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:05 PM

perspective dweeb said…Ramos should be playing today.. stick w the hot handthis what Phil wood and Mike Wallace discussed before opening day. This is one of the good problems to have. Both Phil and Mike felkt that at some point in the summer and down the stretch, Davey will have to pick one if one is hot but not now in April or May. Also, Kurt will always catch Gio.

16. Unknown - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:08 PM

17. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I'm staying out of the game thread — I hear it's a dangerous neighborhood — but I'm making my 2013 seasonal debut on NI today. The bourbon and Maalox supply has been restocked after going completely empty the past couple of games. Cheers!

18. Alphabet Soup Erik - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Either play Tyler Moore or send him down to play. This is ridiculous. Chad Tracy should not be hitting 5th for the Astros or Marlins, much less the Nats.

19. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM

for more knowledgeable folks, what is the difference between HRod and Marmol?

20. MicheleS - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM

MICK AND SUNSHINE! It's going to be a good day.Sunshine, Add Soriano to the list of Bourbon/Maalox Relievers.Off to a late afternoon Brunch. I hope I can convince the Hostess to put MASN on.

21. NatsJim - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Soup, Tyler's doing the job the organization needs him to do right now – he's the RH power guy off the bench. If you asked him I guarantee you he'd rather be doing that than playing every day in AAA. And Chad Tracy is a professional hitter and under-appreciated defensively – the stretch he made on the DP yesterday saved the Nats a run. Tyler will get some ABs, but throwing him out there against Cueto for his first start of the season isn't really fair, especially with that funky wind-up.

22. Joe Seamhead - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I'm glad to see mick and Sunshine back on the team even if they're not in the game thread lineup! Welcome back, guys.

23. NatsJim - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Freddie Freeman to 15-day DL, MLB just reported… won't mind missing him next weekend.

24. D'Gourds - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Faraz, Marmol can at least hit the side of a barn.Great game by Det. He turned around the momentum of the previous day. He's awesome!So far the $13 million for Haren and $14 million/year for Soriano isn't looking like too good a deal. We'll see

25. Bob Saget Nats Fan 101 - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Hello everyone. I am a long time lurker. I decided to start posting every now and again. I am Nationals fans and I am trying to increase my knowledge of them and baseball in general. But with school and work, it is hard.Anyways, go nats.

26. NatsJim - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Welcome Bob!

27. Doc - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Welcome Bob!I think that from your 'lurker past' you may have discovered that there are lots of fun girls and guys here.

28. peric - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Guess Davey is not channeling Peric.Because if he starts hitting like Jay Bruce … then what? Who do you take out of the lineup? Someone will have play poorly enough that they remove them and put them on the DL thus saving face. Let's face it every one of these guys will have some injury before the season is done.Part of this is that Moore really isn't the backup 1st bagger Tracy is. This season Moore is an outfielder. And why is he an outfielder? Because he's too good, the Nats look at the same stats that I do. Zimmerman is moving to first base so that Anthony Rendon can play third base. Outfield slots should open up in the next two years plus there will be injuries.But, as Natslady will tell you, Tyler Moore isn't the best fielder out there and he still needs some time to become, like Josh Willingham, reasonably decent out there. He probably needed to spend some time in AAA working on that but Davey wanted him on his 25-man. Moore is basically still a prospect with some interesting potential. At some point he is going to play and he will take advantage of the opportunity.

29. JaneB - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Hi there, Sunshine! I am now going to START the bourbon and Maalox as soon as I see Soriano head for the mound. It was a killer yesterday. SO GLAD TO SEE YOU. I'm going to try to stay off the game thread today, today. Catch you on the other side. GYFNG!

30. Bob Saget Nats Fan 101 - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Yes sir doc. Like JaneB, I am going to watch the game and stay off the game thread. It is time to make lunch and watch the game.

31. peric - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:55 PM

And yes. then there's Rendon … and Kobernus is up in Syracuse hitting like an All Star. I think he's hitting .700. I guess he liked the idea of being in the major leagues while he was with the Tigers.There are going to be LOTS of prospects pushing at guys like LaRoche, Werth, and Span as well as younger guys like Desmond, Espinosa and Lombardozzi over the next 2-3 years. After that, unless a miracle happens, the minors will have some pretty bare cupboards position prospect wise. But there should be plenty of pitching. Rizzo, Clark, et al are going to have be fairly clairvoyant over these next two seasons. Some really tough decisions are on the horizon. I hope that will include Davey either managing or as a part of the FO.

32. Depot Master - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Hey folks – figured this might be a good forum to ask the following – anyone in this group a Rotisserie Baseball aficionado? It looks like my league (AL only, so you don't ever need to root against a Nats player – well, OK – interleague, maybe) has an opening. I am posting here because I know there is some baseball IQ in this group and those are the most fun people to have in a rotisserie league… Go Nats! Shut down that Little Red Toy Model! (OK, YOU come up with something more opposite of Big Red Machine!)

33. peric - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Oh and by the way peric detractors … (like NJack in the box). Guess who's doing really well in Harrisburg so far? Trevor Holder. That's right the guy everyone claimed was a sign-ability pick from the Georgia Bulldogs. Their ace and college world series veteran.Ah yes things are going exceedingly well …

34. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 5:32 PM

the defense ahgain anotger poor inning. Firsthad Stras just let the ball go it was an easy out for Espi.Second Zim's dive and throw to Votto three out recorded. Instead plays are not made. 3-0.On tge otger tgey turn a nice double play and fielded well.In general our fielding all 6 games has been mediicre at best. Closer to poor.

35. Smatt1001 - Apr 7, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Right back in it!

36. PDowdy83 - Apr 7, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Manassas kind of hard to get on Zim for the diving play. If he doesn't snag it at all the Reds score a run on that play. How awesome are our catchers with the bats so far?

37. sm13 - Apr 7, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Nothing like a little friendly competition among catchers. Zoook!

38. PDowdy83 - Apr 7, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I don't think I have seen Span swing at a bad pitch yet this year. He has a really good grasp on pitch recognition.

39. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Good hit Suzuki. I have seen Zim make that play time after time. What I am saying would make the play not "just miss it" we would be fine. Too many " just miss it " so far this year.

40. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 5:47 PM

much better hitting. Harper's ground out first softly hit ball.

41. BigCat - Apr 7, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Take a deep breath manassas. We are 4-1 with only loss being tagged to your boy Haren. Things are gonna be ok

42. NatsLady - Apr 7, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Hello, Depot. Sorry, not a real fantasy player. Maybe next year.

43. NatsLady - Apr 7, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Found the game on WUSA, so I can watch in high def! MLB.tv may be free, but it's blacked out.

44. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 5:55 PM

bigCat you know i am all about 100%

45. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Harper said he wanted to hit as well as Votto this year. That second inning he did better grounded to second vice striking out.

46. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:01 PM

how on earth did Zim not beat that out. Has he slowed or was that throw that hard from short.

47. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:04 PM

third inning hitters took the inning off. Lets hope their hitters do the same.

48. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:08 PM

another error. and to many mnot made plays. Fielders are making way to many stress innings.Ielders need to shape up. in this park you cannot field like this.

49. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:14 PM

desi tried to cause a heart attack

50. Scott Margenau - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Tmoore needs to be playing. Chad Tracy a prof hitter? Really? I guess I don't see their strategy here? To groom him as a RH pinch hitter ? With him in the lineup I feel we are much more dangerous. But that's Justus oppinion.

51. Scott Margenau - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Get off Zuki!!

52. Scott Margenau - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Ok. I don't get how anyone doesn't love Span

53. Joe Seamhead - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I really don't like the advantage the ump gave the Reds on what should've been strike 3 Choo.

54. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:37 PM

How do umps miss balls clearly in the zone. I bet you they miss about 10 a game between both teams. Home umps have it .Arg another missed play Desi catches the ball a Choo is out. another "just miss play"

55. Nattering Nat - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:40 PM

So isn't it nice to have two, genUINE, starting catchers!! I can't make up my mind who I like more–and I don't have to. Helps take my mind off the off-kilter fielding by the infield so far this season. Hope they tighten it up soon.

56. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Outside of Suzuki rest of the team put their bats away after the second inning. Bring them back boys.My goal each series is to win it. We need to shape up.

57. phil dunton - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM

The Beast hits 5th homer in first at bat. Now has 8 RBIs.

58. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:51 PM

In 24 innings of pitching (5th now). We have not had a 3 up 3 down inning yet.)

59. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:52 PM

home plate ump clueless of a low strike.

60. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:54 PM

What's with this ump — he can't see a ball at the knees? Why isn't Moore playing? As a poster said yesterday: Moore is the future — Tracy is just a fill in pinch hitter whose lucky to be here at all. Two days in a row now. All for Davey's silly penchant for L/R combos. Boy, I am, not a Davey fan.

61. BigCat - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Ok. Gonna be a battle of the bullpens. Does davey dare go to hrod ?

62. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Go beast. Keep showing Rizzo what he literally gave away.

63. Natstown - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I understood protecting our pitcher last year with the innings limit. But how about protecting our pitcher by not having him throw 40% curves and breaking stuff. That is way too high a percentage.

64. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Span is definitely getting on base — that's his job, and he's doing it very well. Now, let's hope Tarasco can improve his basestealing skills. If he does, we have a good one there.

65. Secret wasian man - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM

We got mets 18 times and marlins 15 more. We will be fine. Where is zimms hitting

66. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM

You're right Natstown — seems that Citizens Park dimensions literally changes a pitcher's strategy and tactics

67. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM

home plate hates low. strikes.

68. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Damn good catch Xavier P

69. Secret wasian man - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Dang it.

70. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Yeah, Manassas — there is no excuse for any ump to miss a thigh high pitch — makes them look incompetent — which many umps really are

71. Secret wasian man - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:00 PM

This ballpark is a joke. Way to go ball boy. What a crock of poop.

72. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:00 PM

What the hell is this? the ball boy stays in play and snags a potential trip????Get the F out of the way, kid

73. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM

haha this ballpark is a joke

74. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM

ballboy decides he wants camera time.

75. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Cueto pooping out??

76. Secret wasian man - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Big time home cooking today.

77. Secret wasian man - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Time for a line shot right at the ball boy

78. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Big Cat I have 2 goals. One reached other not yet.1. Win. 4 games each week. check.2. Win every series. Series 1 check. Series 2 still possible.

79. Secret wasian man - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Is Cueto related to RG3

80. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Stras gives the vibe of getting on base —

81. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:08 PM

One of our bugaboos from last year is showing up. 1 for 6 RISP.

82. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:08 PM

As hopeless and helpless as Tracy has looked today, do you think this manager might play the boy a little more?

83. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:09 PM

By 'boy' I meant Moore

84. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Good day! We're in the 6th and the Haters in this forum have yet to show up — or they're not talking because they hate new people and think they own the place

85. BigCat - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:10 PM

You think that ball boy would of caught that ball if the Reds had been batting? That cost us a HUGE run. That should be an automatic triple to the opposing team in the future!

86. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Stras should pay attention to this runner

87. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM

he heard me

88. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Would Robinson have gone to third if Harper or Ankiel were playing CF?

89. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:14 PM

for the season 8 for 45 RISP. was my number 2 pet peee last year still around.Now 25 straight inning no 1-2-3. I used to be pitch to contact, but for Stras I want strikeout especiaaly with 2 strikes.

90. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:14 PM

me thinks the Stras is done

91. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Espi throws to wrong side of plate — run scoresNats have made 7 errors and are playing shoddy defense.Everyone still happy with the laid back Spring Training of Davey's where Veterans got to chill more than work on skills

92. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Davey did not get the Nats defense ready for the seasonand to the haters: Yes, I am not a Davey fan. No, I am not attacking him personally., just his managing skills or lack thereof

93. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:17 PM

lets see choice. Throw terrible ball home and lt the run score. Or get the double play and let the run score.Not batting for Stras comes back to haunt. I predicted that on a text. I was hoping I was wrong.

94. happy 2 pylon - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM

gabby's back. 18 posts in 22 minutes

95. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM

But you were right — another Manager's decision gone awry

96. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Not sure who is the fielding coach, but they are just not prepared.

97. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Stras is cooked — Davey, you don't make sense with whimsical decisions

98. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:19 PM

thehjust missed plays are killing us the last 2 days

99. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:20 PM

The hates are back — personal attacks already — truly pathetic

100. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Steve you are watching this like me. We should be out of inning already. Fielders mis plays are too abundant.

101. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Now the old man comes out — good job, Davey

102. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Johnson lets Stas bat when he should have batted for him — Sras K's sends him out and is obviously cooked, and then leaves him in to ruin his game. Not even a mound visit, Mr. manager?He'll tell us after the game that he wanted Stras to get a Quality Start — watch

103. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Your Right Manassas — the baseball Gods do not allow for 4 and 5 out innings.Sloppy, even embarrassing play

104. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:25 PM

… and the Baseball Gods are smiling on the Reds today!!

105. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:26 PM

one swing away from a blow out

106. Scott Margenau - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I'm to steamed to post. But really frustrates me…

107. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Espi decision cost 2 runs.Fielding needs to improve.Eckstein's coaching on RISP situation back to normal.Now Eckstein get your players playing.

108. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:37 PM

haha Scot! Manassas is right — Stras should have been lifted for ph — not pretty

109. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:38 PM

lets get two on and bring up Suzukino lets get three on and bring of Suzuki

110. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Reds 4 for 15 RISP

111. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Werth back to his "swinging gate in the wind swing" — you're out!

112. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Hey, Harper took a pitch!! good boy

113. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Harper wants that curve back

114. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:41 PM

The big Uncle Charley gets 'The kid"

115. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:41 PM

For series 12 for 42. RISP for the Reds. Our pitching great against Marlins poor against Reds.

116. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Looking in the White Sox game, with the crowd all in black it looks kinda creepy.Ever seen a White Sox nightgame? Everyone in black — very somber looking

117. BigCat - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Harper right on the first curve then it looked like Marshall changed speeds. Gave him the old mike quellar slow one. See ya

118. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Hey Manassas: what are the Nats RISP against the Reds?

119. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Yeah, Big Cat – Marshall dropped in a nice one in on Harper

120. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:44 PM

As bad as hitting is, fielding decision are much worse and pitchers not very good at all this series.

121. BigCat - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Finally got ol two chew out

122. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Steve 2 for 16. Way not attempts compared Reds.Been calling for new hitting coach 4 years now. Obviously that will never happen.Our hitting if not a homer is wortless. 5 runs not driven in by homers. 16 runs driven in with homers. Over 75%. That is poir hitting.

123. JaneB - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I've just gone straight to the bourbon.

124. Secret wasian man - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Nats lucky to be 4 and 2. Not a good team right now. Gotta blame the manager.

125. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:51 PM

26th straight inning no 1-2-3 for pitchers. NcCatty needs to work too.

126. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:52 PM

i would blame players but would fire hitting coach.

127. DJB - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Beginning to worry about the Nats. I'm hoping its a good team in a friendly ballpark, and not a predictor of things to come. Have they gotten over Game 5?

128. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:54 PM

bribg in HROD for 8th

129. Secret wasian man - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:56 PM

The marlins are awful. The reds are not. We are not ready for the big boys yet.

130. Secret wasian man - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Cortisone time for zimm

131. Secret wasian man - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Braves in first place

132. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:59 PM

batting slots 4 and 5 have been awful this series

133. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Why is Tyler Moore not playing. Tracy has looked cluess gese 2 games. 1 dinky hit.

134. Secret wasian man - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Djb. I haven't gotten over game 5

135. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Eckstein quit writing in the book. 2 hits in the last 6 innings. Do some coaching and less writing.

136. DJB - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Pathetic series Nats. Zimmerman close to useless, and pitching highly disappointing. Reminds me of the bad old days. Don't bring me back there.

137. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Good Henry today.

138. Drew - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:08 PM

On the radio broadcast, the bumper music heading into the last commercial was the intro to "Gimme Shelter."With HROD coming in it should have been "Sympathy for the Devil."Yes, Henry, what's troubling me is the nature of your game.

139. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:09 PM

You know what Henry is? Henry's a mop up pitcher. He does well when there's no pressure and the game isn't on the line. With a game on the line, Henry goes to pieces.He's a mop up pitcher — and who needs one of those?

140. Secret wasian man - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Totally agree DJB. Good thing we played the marlins

141. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:10 PM

DJB: don't worry, we wont bring you back, but Davey might

142. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:11 PM

we need hitters now. That is what we need.

143. Joe Seamhead - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I just dropped in. Beam me up, Scotty.

144. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Yeah, Zim still can't throw well. I still think his throwing is more a product of Mackey Sascer and Steve Sax disease — has nothing to do with the shoulder. I couldn't help notice that each if position has bobbled as least one ball today —

145. Secret wasian man - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Steve Hayes. The way we played this weekend we surely need a guy to MOP UP after the team vomits all over itself.

146. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:13 PM

how come they knock down they still can throw us out? We knock it down they score 3 runs because we get no outs.

147. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I do like it that Espi really does appear to have gotten rid of the hole in his swing. While not hitting a ton for avg, he is making good contact and striking out a lot less

148. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Secret Wasian: haha uh Yep

149. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Suzuki gets an A today everyone else D or F

150. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Hey Moore finally gets an Ab

151. Scott Margenau - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:15 PM

How does espi not stetch that pit? That's silly

152. Scott Margenau - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Out

153. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Steve you sre right Espi making better contact. RISP time now.

154. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Denard Span vs. Chapman

155. Rabbit34 - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I still say .500 this year. When we were 3-0 I was still saying that, not here, but still saying it. We need consistent batting and stop bone-head plays. Well, we are still in a learning curve. Go Nats.

156. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:17 PM

you know Span is gonna watch two go by first

157. Secret wasian man - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Nats so bad today I've actually switched to watching NBA. Oh my.Well guys talk to you Tuesday

158. Secret wasian man - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I blame the ball boy

159. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Can span deliver?

160. Scott Margenau - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Ok. Maybe this is the reality check we need. Bad play except zuke – bad managing. That's just facts. Bums me out. Davey = shannihan

161. Secret wasian man - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I wish he would deliver me a pizza

162. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Span is just not up to the challenge.Stat of Day: in Espn Fantasy leaguesSpan is 9.9% owned what does the fan know that somehow got by Rizzo?

163. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:21 PM

did Moore orSpan watch Espi. and Suzuki? RISP 1 FOR 8. now 8 for 46. for the season . Eck still never has been a favorite of mine.

164. DJB - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Rabbit, we had the best record last year. Going to .500 is regression, not learning, or was last year a one-off? If so, then why the hell did we sit Stras? The idea was we'd be back again. Early in the season, so I'm not ready to say the sky is falling. But damn, I'm in a sour mood right now.

165. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Yep see you all Tuesday we'll try again

166. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:23 PM

8/46 not so hot.Yeah, I don't think the sky is falling either, but we just did not play well this weekend. Our defense was embarrassing — infield defense that is.And that is the way they worked in March.

167. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:25 PM

The Nats need to steal more bases. Span, where are you?They are missing the slugging Morse in the middle of the lineup.The defense is porous in the infield.Hitting with RISP is very bad (thanks Manass)Bullpen was weakened this winter. The Nats have got some work to do.The best team in the majors? Not right now!

168. Steve Hayes - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Wait until Atlanta gets a hold of us next weekend. Although we lucked out with Freeman going on the DL

169. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:27 PM

win the next series. my goal every series. We failed today.

170. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM

At least The Nats lost to a good team unlike Os who lost 2 of 3 to the Twins

171. Ansellblog - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Everyone needs to calm down. It's early in the season and the nats are 4-2. I like the way the nats bounced back after Friday. Some good signs, Espi looks much better at the plate, and Suzuki looks good. Stras will bounce back after a sub par performance. Upshot: way too early to be getting gray hairs.

172. Scott Margenau - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Jane pass the Woodford

173. Scott Margenau - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Davey:"I thought he had another inning or two"Shani:"I thought RG3 has another 2 quarters left"Umm. No.

174. Scott Margenau - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:42 PM

On the bright side:No more WB Mason commercials. But Luna and Rodney are driving me to drinking.

175. Secret wasian man - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Haha. Good work Scott. Funny funny.

176. Secret wasian man - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Watching the Phil's getting ready to pull off their second 9 th inning miracle in a row. Ughhhhhhhh

177. Mark Zuckerman - Apr 7, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Steve Hayes and Manassas Nats Fan (and everybody else, for that matter): If you don't mind, could you try to condense your thoughts into fewer posts? Instead of posting one line every 60 seconds, maybe wait five minutes and string together several thoughts? I think everyone would appreciate it because it makes it easier to read and keep up with what everyone is saying.Thanks!