Apr 7, 2013, 8:18 PM EST
Stephen Strasburg was charged with six earned runs in 5 1/3 innings.
Game in a nutshell: It was billed as a premier pitching matchup between Stephen Strasburg and Johnny Cueto, but on this afternoon in this ballpark, it turned into another slugfest of sorts. Strasburg gave up three quick runs in the bottom of the first. Cueto followed by giving all three runs back in the top of the second on Kurt Suzuki's blast to left field. Both starters settled down some after that, but Strasburg again got into trouble in the sixth. The real big mistake, though, came from second baseman Danny Espinosa, who bypassed an easy 4-6-3 double play to make a difficult throw at the plate to try to get speedy rookie Derrick Robinson. That throw was slightly off-line, leaving everybody safe and setting up the Reds for a big inning. They wound up scoring three runs before it was finally over, with Strasburg pulled after 114 pitches (second-most in his career). Needing to mount another rally against the Cincinnati bullpen, the Nationals couldn't pull it off. Sean Marshall, Jonathan Broxton and Aroldis Chapman closed out the victory and sent the Nationals to their first series loss of the young season.
Hitting highlight: Who says Wilson Ramos is the only Nationals catcher who poses a power threat at the plate? Suzuki wielded aRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giolito & Turner, Nats' farm system ranked highly by Baseball America
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen