Apr 7, 2013, 8:18 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg was charged with six earned runs in 5 1/3 innings.
Game in a nutshell: It was billed as a premier pitching matchup between Stephen Strasburg and Johnny Cueto, but on this afternoon in this ballpark, it turned into another slugfest of sorts. Strasburg gave up three quick runs in the bottom of the first. Cueto followed by giving all three runs back in the top of the second on Kurt Suzuki's blast to left field. Both starters settled down some after that, but Strasburg again got into trouble in the sixth. The real big mistake, though, came from second baseman Danny Espinosa, who bypassed an easy 4-6-3 double play to make a difficult throw at the plate to try to get speedy rookie Derrick Robinson. That throw was slightly off-line, leaving everybody safe and setting up the Reds for a big inning. They wound up scoring three runs before it was finally over, with Strasburg pulled after 114 pitches (second-most in his career). Needing to mount another rally against the Cincinnati bullpen, the Nationals couldn't pull it off. Sean Marshall, Jonathan Broxton and Aroldis Chapman closed out the victory and sent the Nationals to their first series loss of the young season.
Hitting highlight: Who says Wilson Ramos is the only Nationals catcher who poses a power threat at the plate? Suzuki wielded aRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
OCT. 7: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year
- Nats' plan to stay fresh before Game 1 of the NLDS
- Denard Span sets Nats hits record to add to special day