Apr 8, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Kurt Suzuki was all smiles after homering in the second inning yesterday.
They say competition brings out the best in everyone, and one week into the season Wilson Ramos and Kurt Suzuki appear to be taking that to heart.
The Nationals' two catchers, splitting time behind the plate 50-50, have made the most of what playing time they've gotten so far. The end result: Perhaps the most-productive catching corps in the majors.
The two backstops really took off over the weekend in Cincinnati. Ramos was the offensive star of Saturday's 11-inning victory, clubbing a pair of home runs to lead the Nationals to a 7-6 win. Suzuki then accounted for all of the Nats' offense in Sunday's 6-3 loss, launching a three-run homer in the top of the second (not to mention adding a couple of doubles for good measure).
Put it all together and these two are producing at a level befitting a middle-of-the-order slugger, not a tandem No. 8 hitter…Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season
- Desmond leads way with 4 RBI in Nationals' 8th straight win
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Nationals Stock Watch: Heroes aplenty during memorable week
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)