Apr 10, 2013, 7:34 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann faces the White Sox on a surprisingly hot evening in D.C.
If it's true that the ball starts flying out of Nationals Park once the weather heats up, don't be surprised to see more of the same tonight when the Nats and White Sox meet in Game 2 of their interleague series. These two teams combined for six home runs last night, with the Nationals hanging on for dear life in the end to win, 8-7. And it's going to be even warmer tonight, with the current temperature a blistering 90 degrees, dropping down to 83 at first pitch.
The Nationals will hope whatever longballs they hit come with some men on base, and the guy who's been on more than anybody else is Denard Span. After going 2-for-3 with a walk last night, the new leadoff man has raised his season OBP to a hefty .500. Yes, Michael Morse has six homers already for the Mariners, but Span has been exactly what the Nats wanted and needed him to be so far, so you aren't hearing anyone in the organization complain about that trade-off.
Jordan Zimmermann gets the start against Maryland's own Gavin Floyd. And old pal Adam Dunn is starting in left field tonight for the Sox, his first appearance here since signing with Chicago after the 2010 season. Should get a nice ovation from the crowd.
Updates to come, so please check back…
CHICAGO WHITE SOX at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), XM 184
Weather: Partly cloudy, 83 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to CF
CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Zuckerman on the Nats and Bryce Harper's contract settlement
- Storen appreciates Nats' vote of confidence