Apr 10, 2013, 2:22 AM EDT
Gio Gonzalez is out trying to stretch a single into a double.
Game in a nutshell: Returning home from a rough weekend in Cincinnati, the Nationals faced an odd matchup: an interleague series in early April. The two teams wound up playing more of an AL style game, with the ball flying out of Nationals Park on a warm, 81-degree evening. Gio Gonzalez battled his way through five innings, piling up pitches but holding the White Sox to only one run. His teammates then took care of the run support. Ian Desmond homered in the sixth. Jayson Werth and Adam LaRoche each launched two-run homers in the sixth. LaRoche (who had been 0-for-15 on the season) then went deep again in the eighth, providing some much-needed insurance. Turns out they needed it, because Rafael Soriano served up a two-run homer to Alex Rios with two outs in the ninth, trimming the lead to one, before he closed this one out and improved the Nationals to 5-2.
Hitting highlight: Questions abounded for both Werth and LaRoche. Is Werth's surgically repaired wrist fully healed, and will he ever be able to hit for power again? And what's up withRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win