Apr 10, 2013, 9:40 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Denard Span entered tonight’s game with a .500 on-base percentage.
The Nationals knew they were getting a classic leadoff hitter in Denard Span, but they might not have fully appreciated how much his patience at the plate would pay dividends throughout their lineup.
Seven games into the season, Span is not only getting on base. He’s really making pitchers work before he gets on base.
Span enters tonight’s game against the White Sox having reached base in 15 of 31 plate appearances, good for a .484 on-base percentage that ranks sixth in the NL. He’s also seeing a hefty 4.29 pitches per at-bat, seventh-most in the league.
“I’m a firm believer in not giving away at-bats,” he said. “Even if it is me swinging at the first pitch, I want to make sure it’s a good pitch and put a good, quality swing on it. And if I make an out, I want to make a quality out. That’s a big part of my game.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss
- Scherzer goes distance, but controversial call hands Nats loss
- Scherzer looks to keep historic run going
- Warning: Harper's Body Issue cover will make you blush
- Nats sign 1st significant Latin prospect in years
- Around the NL East: Phillies hire MacPhail to help rebuild effort