Apr 10, 2013, 9:40 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Denard Span entered tonight’s game with a .500 on-base percentage.
The Nationals knew they were getting a classic leadoff hitter in Denard Span, but they might not have fully appreciated how much his patience at the plate would pay dividends throughout their lineup.
Seven games into the season, Span is not only getting on base. He’s really making pitchers work before he gets on base.
Span enters tonight’s game against the White Sox having reached base in 15 of 31 plate appearances, good for a .484 on-base percentage that ranks sixth in the NL. He’s also seeing a hefty 4.29 pitches per at-bat, seventh-most in the league.
“I’m a firm believer in not giving away at-bats,” he said. “Even if it is me swinging at the first pitch, I want to make sure it’s a good pitch and put a good, quality swing on it. And if I make an out, I want to make a quality out. That’s a big part of my game.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?