Apr 10, 2013, 9:40 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Denard Span entered tonight’s game with a .500 on-base percentage.
The Nationals knew they were getting a classic leadoff hitter in Denard Span, but they might not have fully appreciated how much his patience at the plate would pay dividends throughout their lineup.
Seven games into the season, Span is not only getting on base. He’s really making pitchers work before he gets on base.
Span enters tonight’s game against the White Sox having reached base in 15 of 31 plate appearances, good for a .484 on-base percentage that ranks sixth in the NL. He’s also seeing a hefty 4.29 pitches per at-bat, seventh-most in the league.
“I’m a firm believer in not giving away at-bats,” he said. “Even if it is me swinging at the first pitch, I want to make sure it’s a good pitch and put a good, quality swing on it. And if I make an out, I want to make a quality out. That’s a big part of my game.”
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East
- Boras' 'internal rating' system says Nats have MLB's best rotation