Apr 11, 2013, 4:07 AM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Danny Espinosa delivered a pair of RBI singles in the Nationals’ win.
Players from both clubs were on the field stretching and preparing for what everyone expected to be a 7:05 p.m. first pitch on South Capitol Street. Fans were taking their seats, though upon closer inspection it appeared to be a late-arriving crowd.
And then came an unusual and surprising message on the giant scoreboard in right-center field: The start of the Nationals’ game against the White Sox would be delayed for 15 minutes.
Why? Not because of any bad weather, or the mere threat of bad weather. But because the umpiring crew had gotten caught in traffic and couldn’t get to Nationals Park in time to prepare themselves for Jordan Zimmermann’s scheduled first pitch.
Good thing most Nationals players have spent enough time in this town to sympathize with the crew’s calamity.
“I’ve been stuck in traffic many a time here in D.C.,” shortstop Ian Desmond said. “I’m surprised they got here as fast as they did. It’s always an adventure.”
The umps finally emerged in time for a 7:21 p.m. first pitch, but plenty of fans were still filing into their seats as the game’s first few innings progressed. Fortunately for them, the Nationals saved their best for later in the evening.
Shut down early by White Sox right-hander Gavin Floyd, the Nationals’ lineup finally exploded during the game’s middle innings, scoring all of their runs between the fourth and sixth frames en route to a 5-2 victory.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett