Apr 11, 2013, 4:07 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Danny Espinosa delivered a pair of RBI singles in the Nationals’ win.
Players from both clubs were on the field stretching and preparing for what everyone expected to be a 7:05 p.m. first pitch on South Capitol Street. Fans were taking their seats, though upon closer inspection it appeared to be a late-arriving crowd.
And then came an unusual and surprising message on the giant scoreboard in right-center field: The start of the Nationals’ game against the White Sox would be delayed for 15 minutes.
Why? Not because of any bad weather, or the mere threat of bad weather. But because the umpiring crew had gotten caught in traffic and couldn’t get to Nationals Park in time to prepare themselves for Jordan Zimmermann’s scheduled first pitch.
Good thing most Nationals players have spent enough time in this town to sympathize with the crew’s calamity.
“I’ve been stuck in traffic many a time here in D.C.,” shortstop Ian Desmond said. “I’m surprised they got here as fast as they did. It’s always an adventure.”
The umps finally emerged in time for a 7:21 p.m. first pitch, but plenty of fans were still filing into their seats as the game’s first few innings progressed. Fortunately for them, the Nationals saved their best for later in the evening.
Shut down early by White Sox right-hander Gavin Floyd, the Nationals’ lineup finally exploded during the game’s middle innings, scoring all of their runs between the fourth and sixth frames en route to a 5-2 victory.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season
- Desmond leads way with 4 RBI in Nationals' 8th straight win
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Nationals Stock Watch: Heroes aplenty during memorable week
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory