Apr 11, 2013, 4:07 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Danny Espinosa delivered a pair of RBI singles in the Nationals’ win.
Players from both clubs were on the field stretching and preparing for what everyone expected to be a 7:05 p.m. first pitch on South Capitol Street. Fans were taking their seats, though upon closer inspection it appeared to be a late-arriving crowd.
And then came an unusual and surprising message on the giant scoreboard in right-center field: The start of the Nationals’ game against the White Sox would be delayed for 15 minutes.
Why? Not because of any bad weather, or the mere threat of bad weather. But because the umpiring crew had gotten caught in traffic and couldn’t get to Nationals Park in time to prepare themselves for Jordan Zimmermann’s scheduled first pitch.
Good thing most Nationals players have spent enough time in this town to sympathize with the crew’s calamity.
“I’ve been stuck in traffic many a time here in D.C.,” shortstop Ian Desmond said. “I’m surprised they got here as fast as they did. It’s always an adventure.”
The umps finally emerged in time for a 7:21 p.m. first pitch, but plenty of fans were still filing into their seats as the game’s first few innings progressed. Fortunately for them, the Nationals saved their best for later in the evening.
Shut down early by White Sox right-hander Gavin Floyd, the Nationals’ lineup finally exploded during the game’s middle innings, scoring all of their runs between the fourth and sixth frames en route to a 5-2 victory.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules
- Around the NL East: Stanton making strong push for NL MVP
- Nationals can't pull off dramatic rally this time
- Nats' momentum stalls vs. Phillies in first game of long road trip
- Cabrera out of lineup, but not seriously injured