Game 9: White Sox at Nats

Apr 11, 2013, 7:11 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Dan Haren makes his first home start at Nationals Park tonight.

First impressions are important, and Dan Haren's first impression as a member of the Nationals rotation was not a good one. The veteran right-hander was torched for six runs in four innings Friday night in Cincinnati, serving up four homers in the process. Not the way he wanted to begin his Nats career.

Tonight, Haren gets a second chance to make a first impression, this time in his home debut (not to mention a much friendlier ballpark). Not that a start on April 10 is going to have much bearing on the future, but the last thing Haren wants right now is to raise even more questions about his status and whether the Nats made a mistake at all handing him $13 million over the winter.

The Nationals' lineup, which has been red-hot since returning home earlier this week, should provide some support for Haren. That group will go up against Dylan Axelrod, a 27-year-old right-hander making his 12th career start.

I'll have early-game updates here, but then I have to head to Bethesda for tonight's live episode of "The Baseball Show" at 11 p.m., so Chase Hughes will be taking over mid-game…

CHICAGO WHITE SOX at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), XM 183
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 75 degrees, Wind 14 mph RF to LF

CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper

Read more ยป

1. natsfan1a - Apr 11, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Go, NATS!! Go, umps (you should probably start now to be sure you're not late). :-)

2. Doc - Apr 11, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Let's hope that the umps get to the game on time.Apparently, it is a tradition for the umps to travel together in one car, sorta like a clown troup. I wonder if it is a really small black car where they pile out with their suitcases, masks, chest gear, telescopes, measuring tapes, and brooms?

3. Secret wasian man - Apr 11, 2013 at 7:30 PM

We need a good outing by Harren. I hope he doesn't make us start missing lannan and jackson

4. Christopher Cohen - Apr 11, 2013 at 7:30 PM

In a combined 66 plate appearances, our #2 and #3 hitters have drawn a combined 0 walks (this includes Jayson Werth who is notoriously selective). This is worth keeping an eye on.

5. JD - Apr 11, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Christopher,If it was Desi or Espi I'd worrry. With Werth and Harper not so much. People will start pitching around Harper real soon which means Werth should start seeing some real good pitches to hit and Zim should have a bunch of men on regularly.

6. JaneB - Apr 11, 2013 at 7:39 PM

I am keeping my fingers crossed for Haren to have a stellar night. GYFNG!

7. Tcostant - Apr 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM

8. Tcostant - Apr 11, 2013 at 7:45 PM

9. Tcostant - Apr 11, 2013 at 7:45 PM

10. Dave - Apr 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Okay, I'm leaving my school in South Riding NOW. Stopping off to feed the cat and put on a Nats jersey, then driving into DC.At any rate, I'm sure I'll make it on time. Ump crew, not so certain.

11. Rabbit34 - Apr 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Haren need to get his confidence level up. Being at home isn't going to help that any. Another bad start or two and we will be happy there is Young hanging around. IT is tough to get all five pitchers clicking together. But, we were not any better when we had Lannan. Haren will probably only mean a win or two one way or the other.

12. mick - Apr 11, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I am pulling for Haren. I think he will have a good game. What i am looking for as a fan and coach is his preparation coming into this game. I am wondering if this could be a question of Haren getting comfortable with Ramos and Suzuki? if so, then this will work its self out

13. mick - Apr 11, 2013 at 7:57 PM

We tend sometime to forget the impact a catcher has on a pitcher. Maybe this is why Davey is patient and confident about Haren

14. mick - Apr 11, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Tcostant said…Ditto on Haren.I think I'm going to wonder all year, if we would have just been better off keeping John Lannen as our fifth starter.I am with you, I know there are some good arguments the other way, but in the end, I think Lannan should have been given the 5th spot

15. JD - Apr 11, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Mick, Davie is patient and confident with Haren because of 2 reasons: 1) Rizzo signed him for $13 mil so he is in the rotation. 2) Haren has a body of work which suggests he is a very good pitcher and will yield good results when looked at in totality. Of course there is a small chance that he has suddenly reached his peak and has entered a steep decline but I for one don't buy it.

16. JD - Apr 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Cincinnati was a bad match up for Haren's 1st start. He does tend to give up his share of fly balls (even in his good years) and Cinci is the wrong team and the wrong park for such a pitcher. What makes Haren good is his K/BB ratio which means that he normally doesn't beat himself. BTW I understand that Haren's velocity has been pretty good which contradicts the school of thought which suggests he is shot.

17. EmDash - Apr 11, 2013 at 8:11 PM

DC tends to be a little homer-friendly when it's hot and humid like this, though, so we'll see. I'm hoping for a solid outing.

18. peric - Apr 11, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Of course there is a small chance that he has suddenly reached his peak and has entered a steep decline but I for one don't buy it.His velocity has consistently declined over the past 3-4 years which is why not as many teams were interested in him as in the past. The Nationals took a flyer because they really didn't need a #1/#2 (as they did with Jason Marquis) they really only need a #5 to act as an anchor at the end of the rotation as well as a veteran presence. He's the Brad Lidge for starters. The Nats do have decent replacements for Haren starting with Craig Stammen and Zach Duke and down into AAA. Of course Chris Young throws at 82 mph which is quite a bit slower than Haren so …BUT, the Nats really DO NOT have good replacements for the first four in the rotation. And that is the crux of why Rizzo was concerned about his starting depth.

19. Steady Eddie - Apr 11, 2013 at 8:17 PM

As Mark noted in his instant analysis after the last Friday debacle, Haren hadn't pitched in 10 days before his start against the Reds. He's going on 5 days off this time, so — with less of a bandbox than GABP — here's hoping he returns to last season's late-season form.EmDash — barring a strong breeze, Nats Park doesn't tend to turn pop flies into homers, even in hot weather. Depends on the pitcher — we had August heat last night and the hard-hitting Chisox came away with no dingers, because all three of our pitchers were dealing.

20. peric - Apr 11, 2013 at 8:23 PM

with less of a bandbox than GABP — here's hoping he returns to last season's late-season form.When you throw hanging cutters over the heart of the plate at just under or at 90 mph you are going to get hammered. And that's what he did. Stammen's new cutter looked pretty good and perhaps that's why. It may be that Haren is acting as a pretty decent mentor for our still (for the most part) VERY YOUNG pitching staff.There are multiple reasons why Haren is in the back of the rotation. But, he is susceptible to getting bombed. He's a control artist who rarely walks hitters. So, either he gets them to hit the ball where some was is or big innings occur.

21. Section 222 - Apr 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I kind of love the fact that the first decent team the Braves will face is the defending NL East champion Washington Nationals. And they get Det, Stras, and Gio. How demoralizing it will be for them to come in here all full of themselves, fresh from an off day, and run into that buzzsaw of a rotation. They've faced Hamels and Lee so far, and that guy from the Cubs whose name no one can pronounce (Samardzija), but that's about it as far as high quality starters. (Yes, I know, Halladay. He's just not high quality anymore, unfortunately for the Phillies.) I'm expecting they will leave with their tails between their legs and wonder how the heck they are going to stay in first place once the difficulty of schedules evens out.

22. Joe Seamhead - Apr 11, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Interesting that the Sox are starting Dunn again in LF. He has historically not fared well against Haren in the past. He is 2 for 15, .133 BA, 1 HR, 2 RBI's, 7 K's.

23. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 11, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Sam-ar-DEE-zhuh.I'll take a Yeungling.

24. Gonat - Apr 11, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Joe, the Nats really need to exploit Dunn in LF. The triple came by a misplay in CF. Imagine that.

25. Bob Saget Nats Fan 101 - Apr 11, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Question for everyone, if we get into a save situation again tonight, who will given the ball? I ask because Soriano has pitched two games in a row. I do not know Davey or baseball well enough to even guess what will happen if this situation occurs.

26. Section 222 - Apr 11, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Great question Bob. My guess is that Davey will want Soriano rested for the Braves series, so someone else will close tonight. My money would be on Clippard who pitched Tuesday, and before that, on Saturday. Storen has also pitched two days in a row, so Davey would probably like to rest him too. Mattheus hasn't pitched since Sunday, so he could handle the 7th and/or the 8th. Stammen is also rested (having pitched Saturday and Tuesday), as is H-Rod…That's not to say that a reliever will never pitch three days in a row. So maybe Davey goes with Storen or Soriano, and rests the other for possible use tomorrow night against the Braves. Ok everyone, feel free to take potshots at this analysis.

27. Joe Seamhead - Apr 11, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Actually, I think you did good, 222, though much depends on how deep Dan Haren goes.I hope he gets through 7, and gets us to Matheus, then Clippard. If he can only get through 6 innings, I would think Stammen, Matheus, Clip. Less then 6? Duke, or H-Rod. I think Duke is quite possibly our weakest link, only lefty in the pen, or not. He doesn't impress me as being a pitcher that can go through an upper tier MLB lineup, but I sure hope I'm wrong.

28. Bob Saget Nats Fan 101 - Apr 11, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Well, one guess is that Davey hopes that Haren pitches deep into the game plus the team scores more runs needed for a save.

29. Cwj - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Ump squeezing Haren BIG TIME. He was nailing the strike zone…that double shouldn't have been

30. Gonat - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Hallion needs to check his glasses. This inning should've been over.

31. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Haren struck out Rios on the pitch before the double. Ump is squeezing him.

32. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I owe you one Gonat.

33. Gonat - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Cuzzi cost Gio on missing several strikes. Hallion missing 2 strikes in the 1st inning on Haren. Good news is Dunn won't lead off the 2nd.

34. Gonat - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:21 PM

In other news, the umps can't see squat but they did stay at a Holiday Inn last night to arrive early. Seriously though, the umps supposedly arrived at the ballpark before 6PM.

35. Gonat - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:22 PM

10 pitch AB for Werth!

36. Cwj - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I really like Span and Werth at the top of the lineup. Span especially since I really didn't know what to expect from him.Even if he makes an out, he seems to force the pitcher to throw his entire arsenal, and then some, during his first at bat of the game.

37. NatsLady - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:32 PM

This guy is not a good pitcher. If Haren can just keep it together we got this.

38. mick - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:33 PM

yes sir ALR!

39. mick - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:36 PM

40 pitches for this dude in 1st

40. Gonat - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Almost 40 pitches as Axelrod's 4-seamer dropped to 88mph.That was as discussed earlier the art of getting quickly into their bullpen!

41. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:37 PM

And just to 6 hitters.

42. Gonat - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Good point NJ. They averaged just under 7 pitches per AB.

43. Gonat - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Have to love NL baseball. Haren gets out of the mini jam with only 1 run.I think the disadvantage with the Nats on Gillaspie is that they have limited scouting reports on him.

44. Gonat - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Talking about scouting reports, they had Espi's kryptonite. Get him in a 2 strike count and throw him the fastball at his eyes and watch him swing out of his cleats. Yuck.

45. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Werth with a SB and Nationals finally have one in that column. maybe he read it here first and took it upon himself to get that first SB. :P

46. Gonat - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Wow, wind just cost Ramos a HR or double off of the wall. Instead a circuitous F8.

47. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Rendon hit his first home run tonite. Maybe this will get him going.

48. Gonat - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Strike out Dunn, intentionally walk Konerko and try your luck with Ramirez.

49. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Haren can't keep the ball down. Everything is up around the belt.

50. Gonat - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Way to go Rendon!

51. Gonat - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Gonat said… Strike out Dunn, intentionally walk Konerko and try your luck with Ramirez. April 11, 2013 8:00 PM _______________________________Ok, strike out Dunn, HBP Konerko and strikeout Ramirez.

52. NatsFanSinceStart - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Haren — pure pus thrower.

53. NatsFanSinceStart - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Way to go Werth. Even if Davey refuses to steal bases, you do. good job

54. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM

That splitter is nasty when he keeps it down. Makes all his other pitches better.

55. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:05 AM

at least he is getting out of trouble.

56. NatsFanSinceStart - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Harp should have Their pus thrower measured …

57. NatsFanSinceStart - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Yep Harpers 14 rbi Go Nats

58. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Classless comments. See you guys tomorrow.

59. NatsFanSinceStart - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Man o man if Span could only steal 30+ bases, we just may not miss Morse — too much, that is

60. Joe Seamhead - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I don't need forty games to see if this was the right move regarding Span.Look with an open mind and how can you doubt it?

61. NatsFanSinceStart - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Haha whats with the nun, NatsJack?? hahaha see ya

62. Gonat - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:12 AM

If Zim moves any further to his left in the batter's box he will be in the White Sox on-deck circle.

63. NatsFanSinceStart - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Oh, Im gonna need a better sample then this on Span — how can you NOT be cautious with an open mind???

64. NatsFanSinceStart - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Can Axelrod be cooked already?

65. Joe Seamhead - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Nats Fan Since Start, what position did you tell me your son played on the Patriots?

66. NatsFanSinceStart - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Desi gonna put a hurtin on this go around

67. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:16 AM

those looked like strikes to me just now. I think Axel is getting squeezed.

68. NatsFanSinceStart - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I never did tell you. Forget it

69. NatsFanSinceStart - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Sweet inning

70. Gonat - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:18 AM

You take the 2 runs but that inning had "big inning" written all over it with bases loaded and 1 out.

71. Gonat - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Faraz Shaikh said… those looked like strikes to me just now. I think Axel is getting squeezed. April 11, 2013 8:16 PM ______________________________In fairness he was, but they were in 3-0 counts.

72. Gonat - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:20 AM

I think I just saw MicheleS in a sweater vest with the people with FP signs.

73. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:22 AM

It was Michele.

74. Steve J, Alexandria - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Looks like FP's got a fan club!!

75. Gonat - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Doubleplay time!

76. Steve J, Alexandria - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:23 AM

How much are they paying Haren?

77. Steve J, Alexandria - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Oh, that was Michelle? I didn't expect that

78. Steve J, Alexandria - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Ohh Haren is simply Awful

79. Gonat - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:26 AM

That really stinks. Pitcher puts down a horrible sacrifice and now the White Sox have something going with only 1 out.

80. Steve J, Alexandria - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:28 AM

It would appear that no lead is safe with this pretender on the mound

81. Steve J, Alexandria - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:29 AM

13 million for this has been? Rizzo, you done been had, Bro

82. Drew - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:31 AM

The day will come — maybe next offseason — when Rizzo says: "I've got five great prospects in the cupboard. Let's go get David Price."

83. phil dunton - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Anyone miss John Lannan or Edwin Jackson yet??

84. Gonat - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Come on Steve J, if LaRoche makes that play on the bunt the inning is over. Keppinger's bloop hit also was nothing special. He's not pitching great but he's not pitching awful.

85. Secret wasian man - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:33 AM

The nats bats giveth and Haren taketh away. What a mess this guy is. Guy turns around and gives away the lead and momentum. Oh mr Lannen we miss you

86. Gonat - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:35 AM

phil dunton said… Anyone miss John Lannan or Edwin Jackson yet?? ________________________I don't miss EJax at all, too inconsistent and he was a dud in the playoffs.Lannan on the other hand really was clutch but Rizzo really never seemed to like him.

87. Depot Master - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Haren seems to have his wriggle on tonight. Bad luck on a lot of things but still tied.

88. Joe Seamhead - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Gonat, hold down the fort. It's all yours.

89. Secret wasian man - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Agree on Edwin. He was bad. Lannen however was a gamer.

90. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:39 AM

I decided I will mark down a loss every 5 games and hope we get lucky.Nothing in spring training or the first 2 games have showed me I should believe otherwise

91. mick - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:39 AM

phil, I miss Lannan. I am not impressed with Haren at all, although I like his double

92. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:40 AM

BTW Haren hits better than he pitches.

93. Gonat - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:42 AM

When Peric was trashing Lannan, where were all you Lannan lovers hiding?

94. mick - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Axlerd at 90 pitches. Gonat, after watching Haren its easy to miss Lannan

95. Secret wasian man - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Ok i won't wish for Lannan over Haren. But could I at least get Livan?

96. mick - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:48 AM

97. Depot Master - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I, for one, enjoy people with some grit. A guy that doubles to take the lead back is OK in my book. So is a guy that doesn't walk people. I'll take hits over walks any time, especially if some of them are the bloops that have happened today. Those even out, as do umpires that actually call strikes strikes. Once the NL umps see the pinpoint control I imagine Haren's outcomes will improve.

98. Secret wasian man - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Nice job Zimm. Haren can't give the lead back up in the next inning. Must keep the momentum. Anybody at the game? If anyone took metro how was it with the Caps playing also?

99. Joe Seamhead - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Very good post, Depot Master. Hold up, Scotty, don't beam me back up yet. I thought it was very questionable strategy to intentionally walk Harper to get to Zimmerman.

100. Gonat - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Axelrod missed his spot and Zim ripped it. If you were listening to FP, the book on Zim is to paint the outside corner. Sure, he can't reach it as he stands so far to the outside of the batter's box.

101. Steve J, Alexandria - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Where were all the Lannan lover's then? Only shows how bad Haren is — Lannan is an ace in comparison. He'll be gone before long and the Nats will have wasted almost twice they paid Jackson — an innings eater they ran outta town

102. Steve J, Alexandria - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Anybody on earth believe a 3 run lead is safe with Haren?

103. David Proctor - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:03 AM

What? Jackson got 11 mil. Haren is getting 13.

104. Steve J, Alexandria - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:04 AM

haha if the wind was blowing out, the Sox would have 10 runs by now

105. Candide - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Cunegonde and I are back home. Both wearing shorts and short sleeve jerseys up in section 314. Windy and COLD. We took off after the top of the 4th.Haren would have given up at least two HRs if the wind hadn't been helping him big time.

106. Steve J, Alexandria - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Oh, I was thinking Jax got 7 mil.

107. Steve J, Alexandria - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:05 AM

time to retire Carp's "Serious jammage" please?

108. David Proctor - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I didn't think Haren was awful tonight. The zone was being squeezed again. It wasn't a great outing by any means, but I thought he showed much better command this time around. I think the difference between he and EJax/Lannan will end up being negligible.

109. Gonat - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Now you all can lay off Haren. smh

110. Steve J, Alexandria - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:06 AM

And does anyone believe a 3 run lead is safe with Zach Duke? Would we rather Gorzelanny or duke?

111. Steve J, Alexandria - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Haren was fortunate to have a favorable wind. His splitter was decent, but his fastball is weak, very weak. How many hits? 10? yeah, he's really better than Det. Yep

112. Joe Seamhead - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:08 AM

So, in spite of the peanut gallery, I think it was an OK night for Haren. So, will it be Duke in the sixth? Or Matheus?

113. David Proctor - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Who ever said Haren was better than Det? What order you are in the rotation is absolutely meaningless except maybe #1. Davey probably wanted Det and Stras back to back and/or wanted Det/Stras/Gio in the early season matchup against the Braves.

114. Steve J, Alexandria - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Espi's last at bat was scary — his lefty swing showed the hole in his swing that he had last year/ Not good

115. Depot Master - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:09 AM

I know you guys will think I'm nuts, but if I were the manager and there is a 1-2-3 inning, I'd run him out there one more time. He's a vet and can go past 100 pitches, and it'll help equalize the bullpen – of course if the at-bats get to his spot, you pinch hit…

116. Steve J, Alexandria - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Go deep Ramos you're the new Beast

117. Cwj - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Counting Haren's rally starting double, yeah I think it was a good night for him :-)

118. Gonat - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Robin Ventura has managed horribly the whole series.

119. Theophilus T. S. - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Rethinking whether traffic should have stopped the umps before the game again today.

120. Depot Master - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Davey, should have left Haren in! At least he was getting some K's!

121. Gonat - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:26 AM

What a call for the slider to K out Konerko!

122. Joe Seamhead - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Rendon 2-3 with a dinger,and a BB, raises his BA up to .241

123. Gonat - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Rendon!

124. Joe Seamhead - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:36 AM

We were fortunate that we didn't have to face Chris Sale this series. That kid is one fine young pitcher.

125. Drew - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Interesting. In his stance it looked like Bryce was biting his right sleeve. I wonder whether that's a reminder to stay closed against a tough lefty.

126. Secret wasian man - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:40 AM

This bullpen can just NOT make it easy. I am concerned. The 123 innings are few and far between. Not the nats pitching I'm used to

127. Secret wasian man - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Now that's real nice. Good job Math.

128. Gonat - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Drew, Bryce says he bites his jersey when he needs to remind himself to keep his head in.

129. Joe Seamhead - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Drew, sometimes when a player started to throw his head out at the plate we would get them to bite their sleeve. I didn't see Bryce doing it, but your comment brought back some memories for me. Way to go Ryan M! Who's going to pitch the 8th and 9th?

130. Joe Seamhead - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Owe you one, Gonat!

131. Secret wasian man - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Chad Matt Stairs Tracy. Ughhhhhh

132. Gonat - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Joe, I use that trick with kid's who lift their heads of the ball. I learned it last year from Bryce and it works.

133. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Is the Shark in tge dog house. With a man on first who is a doubke play tgreat it seems The Shark has pissed someone off to get no at bats.

134. Joe Seamhead - Apr 12, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Soriano coming in for the 9th. I'm a little surprise as it will make it three days in a row, with the Braves coming in.

135. David Proctor - Apr 12, 2013 at 2:11 AM

This goes back to the Nats having 3 proven closers. Use Soriano now, it doesn't really matter. Drew had the day off…he can close tomorrow if need be.

136. Gonat - Apr 12, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Tuck in that shirt and get ready!!!

137. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 12, 2013 at 2:17 AM

why stadium so empty?

138. Gonat - Apr 12, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Faraz, it's FREEZING. People left early by the 1,000's

139. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 12, 2013 at 2:20 AM

insane at bat

140. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 12, 2013 at 2:20 AM

great outcome.

141. Gonat - Apr 12, 2013 at 2:23 AM

There you go! A really inspired win! UN-TUCK!!!

142. Joe Seamhead - Apr 12, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Just want to remind the Haren Haters, Dan got the well deserved win. WooooooooHooooooooo! (compliments MicheleS!)

143. natsfan1a - Apr 12, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Untuck that thing. [Yessir]

144. JaneB - Apr 12, 2013 at 2:29 AM

I'm not in love with Haren but he did ok tonight, we should be nicer to him. I missed Michelle in the sweater vest!

145. Depot Master - Apr 12, 2013 at 2:34 AM

Haren. W. No BBs. 2B. OK?

146. Scott Margenau - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Best job in the world? 4th to 5th starter. 11-13 mil a year for mediocrity.

147. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 12, 2013 at 2:48 PM