Instant analysis: Nats 5, White Sox 2

Apr 11, 2013, 1:56 AM EDT

USA Today Sports Images
Ian Desmond had two doubles and a triple to pace the Nationals' lineup.

Game in a nutshell: The umpires — and plenty of fans — were late arriving at the ballpark thanks to bad traffic, but don't worry. They got there in time to see the mid-game fireworks display from the Nationals' lineup. Bryce Harper launched his fourth homer of the season to lead off the bottom of the fourth, igniting an offense that would go on score five times between the fourth and sixth innings. Jordan Zimmermann gave up one early run and another late but was otherwise effective and efficient during a seven-inning, quality start. Drew Storen and Rafael Soriano then closed out a comfortable victory, not giving the White Sox a sniff of a comeback they way they did last night.

Hitting highlight: Stymied through the first couple of innings by Gavin Floyd, the Nationals started to make a dent in the ChicagoRead more ยป

1. Drew - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Break out the brooms. GYFNG!

2. ehay2k - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Ah, a series win. Well-played ball. Timely hitting. JordanZ pitched a clinic – under 13 pitches per inning. Must be the cherry blossoms. And tonight, I untucked. :-) Cue MicheleS (if she hasn't already posted as I type this.)

3. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Second series win.Sample size a little bigger 2 hits from Harper 6-0. 1 or les 0-2.Bullpen more like it tonight.

4. natsfan1a - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:02 AM

LOL at those dudes standing up all tucked behind home plate. I guess they must have untucked. I know I did. Too bad we're not the Padres. Then there could be a Friar Tuck mascot. :-)

5. Doc - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Dan Haren tomorrow!Everybody pray for the Nats tonight….and tomorrow!

6. A DC Wonk - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Really wish drew was closing this thing. Just not impressed with SorianoGuys in the booth were saying that Soriano is having trouble with his slider this spring, and that's a big deal for him, because that's his "out" pitch.I suspect that he's just like any pitcher, has some rough spots, and that, when he gets that slider back he'll be pretty darn tough.

7. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:08 AM

come on Haren show what you have done most your career.

8. Joe Seamhead - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:15 AM

I'm pretty happy with Soriano's inning tonight. It was great to see Danny get a couple of key RBI hits.JZimm looked terrific.Desmond sparkled at the plate and in the field.Harper? Good grief, what a treat! Ryan Zimmerman? Let's not moe him to first quite yet. We could on, and on. This team is looking good. Also, the game thread was very civilized tonight. Gotta love it.

9. Candide - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Mark, Kaline was 24 in 1959. His big age 20 season was 1955; he hit .340 that year to win the AL batting title – only time in his career.

10. Candide - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:18 AM

1a, you can buy me that drink tomorrow night or Saturday.

11. baseballswami - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:19 AM

We are in mid- season form!

12. Candide - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Seamhead, agree, good thread tonight.

13. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:23 AM

I'll be at Wallenstein (a story about free agency) tomorrow. Keep the crickets civilized in my absence.

14. baseballswami - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:26 AM

I just think Danny looks better with a beard. He looks like he is about 14 since he shaved.

15. Drew - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Bryce Harper update: 729 from Henry Aaron's record.

16. MicheleS - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Untuck! WOOOOOO HOOOOOO! Just left the Park. Had a great time!

17. Jerry - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:33 AM

That's 2 wins for JZim in 2 starts. How long did it take him to get to 2 wins last season? I remember him pitching well and getting a lot of no decisions thanks to lackluster run support.

18. baseballswami - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:36 AM

JZim is really espousing the pitch to contact philosophy. He is giving up random singles, but when you look at the scoreboard, you see zeroes.

19. timeless46 - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:37 AM

baseballswami — but he is hitting clean-shavened. so I think he actually looks much better when he is using the razor……

20. timeless46 - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:37 AM

21. NatsLady - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Was working so missed most of the game. No errors, bobbles or brain cramps?

22. Scott Margenau - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Anyone notice Bryce shifts his weight way before he makes contact? I can't imagine the power he would have if he timed his shift like LaRoche. (His timing is immaculate)

23. NatsLady - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Joel Hanrahan imploded to the tune of a solo homer, walk, WP, three run homer… 5 runs. It went from 5-3 Red Sox to 8-5 O's (Final).

24. baseballswami - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:56 AM

NatsLady- everyone was quite well behaved. Danny and Zim hit, middle infield turned a nice dp, couple of nice bunts, no balks or caught stealing- we did catch one of the other guys, though! JZim is so calm and under control and has a nice pace. It seems to be contagious out there. Drew and Sori both gave up one random hit- no drama.

25. NatsNut - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Danny is starting to disappear in this lineup, and I mean that in the best possible way. It's very good to see.

26. NatsNut - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:14 AM

27. Gonat - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:23 AM

28. Gonat - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:25 AM

What a game. Desi was amazing in the field. I thought Jayson got some poor breaks on balls tonight but again made some nice plays getting to balls down the line. It was the best defensive game of the year by the team! Another night that RZim wasn't needed on defense.Real happy to see that JZ and Zuk were on the same page and they called the changeup at some good points. I can't remember that many bats cracked by a pitcher in an outing.

29. MicheleS - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:27 AM

Wonk..Just saw your posts from your daughter. That was so cool. Makes me miss my dad.

30. Cwj - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Scott Margenau- There was an interesting comparison last week done between Harper's swing and someone named Babe Ruth :-)They both shifted the same way.

31. A DC Wonk - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:33 AM

FWIW, if anybody drove down town today, it was awful. I work about 15 blocks north of the stadium, and I'm in a carpool. Today's traffic was outstandingly bad.

32. A DC Wonk - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:34 AM

MicheleS said… Wonk.. Just saw your posts from your daughter. That was so cool. Makes me miss my dad.Very touching. Thanks.

33. SonnyG10 - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:35 AM

A nice comfortable stressless game tonight. Man, 6 and 2 sure sounds a lot better than 4 and 2.I like Danny better without the beard and also Desi without his mustach.You know, if I were a fan of another team, I would really fear the Nats lineup. Power up and down the lineup, my gosh.

34. peric - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:49 AM

Let's wait and see if Haren has improved and for more consistency from Clip and new closer Soriano, but most of all we'll get a good measure of where they really are starting this Friday when the newly minted more powerful Braves come to town for the first time.

35. peric - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:51 AM

Let's see what the combined record against the Reds and Braves is at the end of the weekend … that's the yardstick until they reach 40 games in.

36. Section 222 - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:54 AM

My friend who went to umpire school says the umps are required to get to the park one hour before game time, and get fined if they are late. They usually stay at the Hyatt on New Jersey Ave., just at the bottom of the Hill. So if they left their hotel in time to get to the park at 6:05 with regular traffic, and arrived around 7, that must have been one heck of a traffic jam!Great fun at the game tonight. Harper's bomb was just that, a bomb. The sound of him hitting the ball is really unique. Almost as impressive was his sharp single to right with the bat breaking.Desi was impressive. Some very solid plays at short and three extra base hits. JZnn was his best bulldog self, and the pen was solid. i tucked in my shirt when Soriano came in and Untucked once the save was recorded. Awesome.

37. sjm308 - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:55 AM

Love that we had zero errors tonight!Love that apparently JZimmnn can throw to both Ramos and Suzuki (never did buy that stuff about a favorite catcher and neither does Davey)Love that both Desmond and Espinosa had solid at batsLove that Drew appears to be thriving in the set-up roleLove that Soriano was a little more efficient and I think he gets stronger as the year goes onI have said it before and I will say it again, the more I see Bryce Harper hit the ball, the more I think of Mickey MantleI will wonder what worries will be posted tomorrow though. I guess some just can't enjoy success.Looking at Seattle box score and they are resting Morse against Peacock. Not sure why. Hope the big guy is not nicked.

38. peric - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:58 AM

Looking at Seattle box score and they are resting Morse against Peacock. Not sure why. Hope the big guy is not nicked.That is one of the things they held against him … he keeps getting more and more nicked as he gets older … he will probably need to become a DH eventually but I suspect there will be lots of teams vying for his services as a part time outfielder/first baseman and full time DH.

39. gail - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:59 AM

Lovely game tonight. Was at the Park – felt like mid-July. JZ was outstanding. He could have pitched the whole game. Bryce was, well, Bryce. Always exciting. Nice clutch hitting throughout the lineup. Good to be back.

40. peric - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:59 AM

In other news guess who's coming to Syracuse to meet a really amazingly powerful Chief's team in Syracuse. Yep, Miss Iowa Miguel Batista will be coming to Syracuse with the Buffalo Bisons (the Mets) after the Iron Pigs.

41. peric - Apr 11, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Maybe the MLB needs to hire helicopters for the umpires in heavy traffic areas like DC … but the Lerner's would have to put a hell pad on top of the one of the nearby buildings.

42. peric - Apr 11, 2013 at 4:08 AM

Did somebody say Walters was a better "prospect" than Kobernus? I think Chase did … I still can't figure out why? But yeah former Owl Rickey Hague, college teammate of Anthony Rendon does look interesting playing again in the same infield with him. Even if he is starting out hitting .174 as the starter at second base.Of course all those strike outs has caused Chase's prospect of the week or whatever batting statistics to plummet. Chase seems a very poor judge of minor league talent.

43. MurrayTheRed - Apr 11, 2013 at 4:26 AM

I don't like the untuck, especially for myself. Besides he hasn't really earned an untuck following yet.

44. Nattering Nat - Apr 11, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Worst traffic I've ever experienced, without an accident, coming down GW Parkway to the game tonight–and I've experienced a lot.Harper's blast was mammoth.A clean game, defensively, well-rounded offense. Mark of a great team is winning ugly some of the time, and winning pretty when all cylinders are running. I think that describes the current Nats in a nutshell.

45. baseballswami - Apr 11, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Is there any way to measure bat speed? When you watch Bryce, his bat is literally a blur it's going so fast. Hits that look bobbled are just too hot to field. Rockets. His swing actually reminds me of a young Tiger Woods' golf swing with all that torque that is created.

46. Rabbit34 - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Like the comments about facial hair. Look at pictures of players of Ruth's era and Ted Williams. You don't see baseball players looking like a cave man, they look like baseball players. Clean shaven is a Yankee policy and they look so much better. I don't care if they are winning or losing. Look respectable.

47. sjm308 - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Swami: look at old film of Mickey Mantle, especially when he missed. Babe Ruth as well. They had so much torque and bat speed that they almost fall down on a regular basis when they missed the ball. Harper is right there.

48. natsfan1a - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:02 PM

"Swing by the Tidal Basin, he says. The blossoms are just beautiful at this time of year. Trust me, it won't take that long. Clown."NatsNut said… My brother and I have been cracking up about the poor umpires. Stuck in traffic, late for work, knowing people are waiting for you is stressful enough, but how hopeless must it have felt knowing an ENTIRE STADIUM of people are waiting for you? When do you finally decide to make that telephone call? And who do you call first? And if all 4 are in the car together did they get testy with each other? "Dude, i told you to take that left back there." LOL April 10, 2013 11:14 PM

49. natsfan1a - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I will be there on Saturday for my bobblehead. :-)Candide said… 1a, you can buy me that drink tomorrow night or Saturday. April 10, 2013 10:18 PM

50. UnkyD - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM

" I don't care if they are winning or losing. Look respectable."—————————-Really? Well…. For the record, I DO care if they are winning or losing. PLAY respectable. They can even loiter on my lawn…. (C'mon, Rabbit…. That was just silly…)

51. Rabbit34 - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Hey UNKYD….my point wasn't about winning or losing…it was about looking respectable. One has nothing to do with the other. C'mon UNKYD, stay in context.

52. Doc - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Hey Rabbit, aren't you the same clown that kept harping on the poor lineup during ST?Wad are you, a graduate from the same beauty school as the ChiSox reliever last night?'Looking respectable' has nothing, and never did, have anything to do with being a ballplayer. You probably should start a movement to have them get rid of their tats while you at your petty obsessions. Stick to baseball, sport!

53. Doc - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Thanks Cwj for the link to Harps and the Babe.I've been wondering for the past while if Harper's swing bore any ressemblence to the Babe's.Interesting read.

54. Rabbit34 - Apr 11, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I'll tell YOU what "sport", to me that's part of the game and someone like you certainly won't change MY mind. Your comment is just a clown comment….bro.

55. Scott Margenau - Apr 11, 2013 at 8:50 PM

CWJ: thanks! That's awesome! If only it worked for my golf swing! My shift sucks and I slice everything lol