Apr 11, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
Whether you are a fan of the Philadelphia Phillies or not, it’s hard to deny the fact they had a pretty good run from 2007 through 2011. They were one of the best baseball clubs in recent memory, won five consecutive division titles and a World Series. They were essentially a few injuries and a nine-pitch Johnny Damon at-bat from perhaps being a legitimate dynasty.
So if you loved them or loathed them, having your team compared to them should come as a compliment. And as a big piece of those Philly glory days, Nationals right fielder Jayson Werth is starting to see similarities between his former and current clubs.
Werth has compared hitting behind Nats leadoff hitter Denard Span to when he used to follow Jimmy Rollins, as both players are patient at the plate, speedy, and get on base. But this week he took the comparison further, citing the new-look Nats lineup’s ability to take pitches and push opposing pitchers late into games.
“I think there was one year where Chase [Utley], me, and Ryan [Howard] were in the top five for pitches seen. That was 3, 4, 5, I was hitting fifth. So by the time you get to the middle of the order, you’ve thrown more pitches over the course of the season to those three than any one else in the league.”
Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win