Zimmerman gives advice to Wall on 1st pitch

Apr 11, 2013, 8:52 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today

Given a chance to throw out the first pitch at Nationals Park as a rookie in 2011, Wizards point guard John Wall made one of the worst attempts in ceremonial first pitch history. That may not be official, but most would probably agree. He spiked the ball just a few feet in front of the mound and embarrassment ensued.
Here is how he described the unfortunate showing when reflecting on it this week:
I tried to throw a bullet like I was really Strasburg or somebody & it didn't work,” he said.
On Thursday Wall will have a chance for redemption before the Nats game against the Chicago White Sox and he says this time he will just try and lob it in to home plate.
Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman was asked to offer some advice to Wall before his second try.
“I don’t know if I can help him with what he did last time. That’s a pretty tough fix,” Zimmerman said.

1. Tcostant - Apr 11, 2013 at 8:57 PM

That pitch still brings back a smile to my face. What a joke!

2. Section 222 - Apr 11, 2013 at 8:58 PM

It wasn't so bad. He just forgot it was a baseball and threw a bounce pass.

3. Gonat - Apr 11, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Chase needs spell check. Who's Zimmeran?

4. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Old TV show … Zimmeran Ztrip.And I want J Znn taking the first ceremonial jump ball. He'd dunk.

5. Steady Eddie - Apr 11, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Untucked — I think we might want to call up Chris Young for that.

6. Section 222 - Apr 11, 2013 at 9:34 PM

How about a ceremonial dunk? Who on the Nats could do it? I'll guess Span, Desi, Werth, Harper, and Bernadina. Not Stras or Gio, that's for sure. E-Jax probably could have.

7. natsfan1a - Apr 11, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Bryce, because evidently he's the donut expert.

8. JaneB - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I like that other sports players are starting to notice our guys!

9. Scott Margenau - Apr 12, 2013 at 7:58 AM

222 stop racial profiling! We all know Davey can dunk, easy.