Game 10: Braves at Nats

Apr 12, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Braves come to Nationals Park for a big weekend series.

The Nationals and Braves will face each other 19 times this season, so one weekend series in mid-April isn't going to decide the NL East race. That said, the next three days will offer a nice opportunity to see how these two juggernauts stack up against each other.

Game 1 features a matchup of guys who technically are No. 5 starters but really don't fit the typical mold of a No. 5 starter. Ross Detwiler emerged late last season as burgeoning elite pitcher, and he pitched very well in his season debut last weekend in Cincinnati. Julio Teheran, meanwhile, remains a bright prospect for the Braves, a 22-year-old flamethrower making only his sixth career start.

Nothing surprising in the Nats' lineup, with Kurt Suzuki behind the plate tonight. Something to keep in mind for later in the game: Rafael Soriano probably won't be available after pitching three straight nights, so don't be surprised if Drew Storen is used in a closer situation, should the opportunity present itself.

Updates to come…

ATLANTA BRAVES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB Network (outside DC market), MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), XM 89
Weather: Partly cloudy, 71 degrees, Wind 11 mph out to RF

CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper

1. JaneB - Apr 12, 2013 at 7:39 PM

I am totally rooting to see Drew tonight. That would be good news for us! Cancel the bottom of the 9th.Hiow bad do e have to be losing to bring in Henry? I can't see Davey using him in a situation where the game is on the line, especially against these guys. GYFNG!

2. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 12, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Guai Feng!And keep it civil down there, willya?

3. Tcostant - Apr 12, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I can see Davey using Henry tonight, even in a close game. I think we'll see Duke before Henry though, the Braves hate lefties.

4. IKN8wxU2 - Apr 12, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Tconstant,Have you looked at the lineups? The Braves only have one lefthander tonight: Heyward.McCann and Freeman are on the DL, Bourn is in Cleveland.

5. MicheleS - Apr 12, 2013 at 7:56 PM

GYFNG!!!! I can't wait to see Det pitch.

6. Scooter - Apr 12, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Well, I'll be hornswoggled. They actually found a way to get the Nats to play the Braves more — 19 games this year, as young Mr. Zuckerman points out. Thought it was 18 against each division opponents before.I don't get all exercised about whether schedules are "balanced," but I do know that along about September, I get really tired of seeing the same few teams so [darn] many times.GYFNG!

7. peric - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Freeman would be in the lineup tonight and he is left-handed. If he hadn't landed on the DL.Atlanta is using a platoon at third base. And I'm not sure how often McCann will be able to play? He's almost become a DH/!B at this point. And you don't remove Freddie Freeman for McCann on most nights.

8. Doc - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Duke, Henry, Clip, & Drew(if we're ahead). Otherwise Duke and Henry after the 5th.Tomahawk these phoney indians!GoooooooooooooooooooNats!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. peric - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Glad to see NatsLady in the left hand gutter instead of that lady who basically gave up blogging perhaps because she seemed to have a crush on Riggleman. Natslady has no such crush that I'm aware of.

10. peric - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:14 PM

11. Section 222 - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I doubt we'll see Henry if the game is close. If Det can go six, Davey's got Stammen, Clipp and Storen. If he can go 7, Clip and Storen. If he goes 5, Duke or Stammen for 2, then Clip and Storen. If we're behind or way ahead, Henry gets some work.

12. Section 222 - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Don't be surprised to see Stammen after Det. Davey likes to throw a righty in after a lefty starter. That's why he likes to have both a left-handed and right-handed middle relief/long/spot starter.Ok, this is unusual for me, but… wait for it… I agree 100% with peric's comment.Of course, if Det goes 7, we'll probably see Clipp, not Stammen.

13. EmDash - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Interesting lineup note for Atlanta: they'll be using their back-up catcher, Evan Gattis, at first base tonight; they didn't want him to catch because they didn't want an all-rookie battery, but he's had a hot start in terms of hitting so they want him in the line-up. He's played only 7 games at the position at the minor league level and did not play any games there during spring training. Should be interesting.

14. baseballswami - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:35 PM

So why are all of you talking about the bullpen? You don't think Det can do this on his own? I do. I say he goes at least 8. This is his year. If he is cruising, I will literally throw something at the tv if he is taken out with a reasonable number of pitches. JZim should have had the 8 th in his game. They are big boys now. Go Det!!!!!

15. Section 222 - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Gattis is playing his first game at 1B tonight. Oh boy. Wonder if he saw Moneyball."Hatteberg: I’ve only ever played catcher.Beane: It’s not that hard, Scott. Tell him, Wash.Washington: It’s incredibly hard."

16. Section 222 - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Ok, EmDash, I owe you a drink.

17. JaneB - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:55 PM

222, I loved that exchange. And then I LOVE it when Hatteberg hits that dinger later on. Ah! Baseball. Even movie baseball. I love it all. All except Phillies phans.

18. Steve J, Alexandria - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:55 PM

sure glad it's Det tonight and not Haren — the Braves would absolutely crush Haren, but Det can and will beat them.

19. IKN8wxU2 - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:59 PM

On bringing in an opposite handed reliever following a starter, like using Stammen after Detwiler, normally that's great. The other team then counters with any platoon players, like Francisco. Of course, the Nats can't then switch back to a lefthander later, because they don't have any. Good news is that the Braves don't have much in the way of left handed hitters on the bench.

20. EmDash - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:02 PM

You added the Moneyball quote though, Section 222, so that makes it different. :)Also, scheduling note for Nats v. Braves – since the division rivals play each other 19 times now, that of course unbalances the number of home games. Braves have the advantage there, as they get more home than away games against everyone in the division except…either the Mets or Marlins, I can't remember now. Nats have more away than home games against everyone except either the Mets or Marlins. This is of course not ideal.

21. Joe Seamhead - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:11 PM

The one LH hitter in the Braves line up is hitting .071 (Heyward)

22. baseballswami - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Hearing K Millar pronounce Detwiler is pretty funny. Next we should have him try Mattheus.

23. Whynat - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM

What arrival time tomorrow guarantees a bobblehead? Insider insight needed.

24. natsfan1a - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:10 PM

No guarantees but I generally shoot for at least an hour before first pitch, preferably more.

25. Secret wasian man - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Love to get at least 2 this weekend

26. Dave - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Secret wasian said: "Love to get at least 2 this weekend"Well, make sure you're going with a second person, then.Oh, you meant win two games. Sorry. I'm all about the bobblehead Saturday. (Gotta teach my autocorrect how to write bobblehead.)I hope the Nats continue the perfect home record with a sweep. Make a statement.

27. natsfan1a - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I had the same thought on first reading. :-)Well, make sure you're going with a second person, then.Oh, you meant win two games. Sorry. I'm all about the bobblehead Saturday. (Gotta teach my autocorrect how to write bobblehead.)

28. baseballswami - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I know we have shiny, new baseball stars and free agents and players we have traded for. But, I have to tell you, Ryan Zimmerman truly does represent all that is good about the Washingyon Nationals. We have been very lucky to have him right in the middle of things for all this time. Great guy, great memories, even in the bad years. I hope he has a monster year.

29. baseballswami - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Today is his gsme1000, his wife's and his mom's birthdays. Special occasion?

30. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Went to see "42" today. Prefer not lowering my baseball IQ so will not be posting tonite.Good luck Joe.

31. Joe Seamhead - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:54 PM

At the game. Loving us some Span.

32. peric - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Looks pretty quiet tonight …

33. NatsLady - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:01 AM

good crowd for a friday night. told you teheran would have trouble with lefties. windy, too.

34. Dave - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:14 AM

NatsLady, did you get your ticket-swap thing worked out?

35. Joe Seamhead - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:17 AM

,2 runs, sb,RBI Not bad after his first 2 AB's.

36. NatsLady - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:22 AM

dave, yes. went to the box office.

37. Candide - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Arriving here late; Cunegonde pointed out we were running out of rose wine and I had to research a sparkling pinot noir rose we'd had a couple of weeks ago and really liked. Couldn't remember the name, so I had to do a search on Al Gore's Amazing Internet and finally found it (Lucien Albrecht Cremant d'Alsace Brut Rose NV).Then I had to search for the best price. And when I found it, the merchant's web site wouldn't put me into the shopping cart to finish the transaction, so I ended up having to call them. Finally got the order placed.So how are my boys doing? Detwiler pitching okay? Harper been at all productive? Span getting on base?Legion of Doom quiescent?

38. pk24 - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Detweiler bringing it tonight!!! If he keeps it hope I hope Davey will let him go 7-8 innings and save the bullpen for the weekend.

39. Steady Eddie - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Nobody much else posting (mostly all at the game? If so, sit back, cheer "some "let's go Nats!" and enjoy!) so I will just add a GYFNG!!! Hey, notwithstanding the momentarily quiescent LoD, these guys are looking pretty good. Over the long haul, the Nats' rotation is the big advantage we will have. All we need is for Haren to settle down and be reasonably reliably decent, and we got this (keeping fingers crossed against the injury bug (but we already had that big time for three out of our long term four starters, so some season-long health is not too much to hope for).Hey, Bryce with a second chance after 8, make that 9 pitches… This working the pitcher stuff must be contagious!

40. pk24 - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Umpires taking way too long to review the play. Not fair to Det!!!

41. pk24 - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:55 AM

At least they goi it right….

42. Candide - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Det is dealing!!!

43. Steady Eddie - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Det would be a #1 or #2 on at least half the teams in MLB. And once again, Det is totally unfazed by the review delay, showing how he has become The Man in his pitching over the past year.

44. Scott Margenau - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Det is sick tonight. Sick as in nasty sick. Great strike out to end 6th.

45. pk24 - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:08 AM

One too many fastballs…

46. Candide - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Steady Eddie said… Nobody much else posting (mostly all at the game? Just Seamhead, LoveDaNats, and SonnyG10.A lot more of us tomorrow (including Cunegonde and me). We'll be there for a Gio bobblehead early.

47. Steady Eddie - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Candide — me and my 12-year old too.

48. Scott Margenau - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:10 AM

FP talked that home run into happening with his fastball rant.

49. pk24 - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Clip and Stor for the 8th and 9th?

50. Drew - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Great job by Detwiler. Super outing.

51. Dave - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:11 AM

I'm hoping that those of us nerds who get there ridiculously early will have luck with the Gio figurines.Tomorrow morning's the Cherry Blossom Parade. If you're planning on going in on I-66, re-plan. I'm taking the Metro myself.

52. realdealnats - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Denard Span=Josh DeetsHe rides out to survey what's up ahead, and you have every confidence, no matter what or who he faces, he's coming back with the straight skinny.

53. Scott Margenau - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Plz. No Henry.

54. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:26 AM

I was thinking the same thing about lack of hits.

55. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:33 AM

throw a ball. it is 1-2 not 3-2.

56. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:35 AM

57. Dave - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Wow. Wish Clipp would cool it with the walks.

58. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:38 AM

29 pitches. And vounting.

59. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:38 AM

he just refuses to make it easy. Det was pitching great. Davey confuses me.

60. Drew - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:40 AM

In the words of that famed pitching coach, Bill the Cat:Ack!Thbbft!

61. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:41 AM

what the hell is Clip in for? Det was pitching great. Absolutely no reason to take him out.

62. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Said it before and I'll say it again. Clippard kills you when he goes 20 plus pitches in an inning.

63. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Well, he had a three-run lead. He walks B.J., he's still got a lead. He grooves one, and probably not. And maybe he was getting squeezed a little. Still.

64. Secret wasian man - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:42 AM

This would be an awful loss. Clippard is just terrible. Bring in drew before its too late. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh

65. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:43 AM

And y'all were so down on H-Rod? Look who's walking hitters without control? Against the Braves nonetheless?

66. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:44 AM

At this point Henry might be better than Clip. Its still early and that could in fact be the case as the season progresses.

67. Candide - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Drewwwwwwwwwwwwww!

68. Dave - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:44 AM

69. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:45 AM

I was thinking that Clip is starting be like Henry. Good clip bsd clip.

70. Drew - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Now let's get some GEICO.

71. Candide - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Dave said… D-Span. Thank you for gliding effortlessly to that ball and simply catching it. No drama in CF.Don't think I've seen DSpan run hard after a single fly ball this season. He's always right there.

72. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:46 AM

good thing about that inning was that next inning we start with their bottom 3 hitters. i am guessing we will see freeman pinch hit.

73. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Don Liddle comes in to pitch to Vic Wertz, who crushes a ball to deep center. Mays goes back and makes a spectacular catch. Liddle comes to the bench, tosses his glove down, and says "Well, I got my guy."

74. Scott Margenau - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Ughhh. Who was it that said they would throw something at the TV if they pulled det too early?

75. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:47 AM

why does he pull Det after 90 pitches yet lets Haren go over 101. This is just stupid.He gave Davey seven quality innings and did his job. Davey needs his horses for 162 games not for 2 or 3 weeks.

76. Dave - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:48 AM

What is that pitch delivery motion? Is he allowed to hop-skip-jump like that?

77. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:51 AM

That double play killed another run.

78. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:52 AM

how long is laird gonna be there?

79. Dave - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Okay, here we go. Acid test time.

80. mick - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Zim was first hit since 2nd. Det making me look good, this kid will have a break out season. Clip pitched his worse game as a Nat, I hope he bounces back

81. mick - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Clip does not look confidant. Drew, make me look good boy, I am counting you!

82. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Drew for another inning? This is where they sometimes get in trouble … I'd consider Stammen if I were Davey.

83. pk24 - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Chance for Drew to show he can still be a closer

84. mick - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:58 AM

are you kidding me!

85. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Stammen looking like better and better right now.

86. mick - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:59 AM

agreed Peric

87. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:00 AM

we are 90 pitches not 115.

88. pk24 - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Chance for Drew to show he can still be a closer

89. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Kilgore: Looks like Nats fans picked the wrong night to quit sniffing glue.

90. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Uh oh.

91. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Nibble nibble …

92. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Stammen. Now.

93. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Yikes time.

94. Dave - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Well then. Tie game. Save blown.

95. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Storen : BS Blown Save.

96. Depot Master - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:06 AM

This is further validation why Rizzo was right in getting an ice water veined closer for this team. Walks, walks and more walks. If we're going to get beat, at least let THEM do it.

97. pk24 - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Feel bad for Det

98. Candide - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Dammit, where's the Maalox?

99. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:07 AM

(Nibble + nibble)*58

100. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:07 AM

What's the pitch count on Storen? 24?

101. mick - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:08 AM

sickening! I only feel sorry for Det. RZim is a veteran and that play made no sense. good news, at least Nats did not blow a 9-0 like last year. bad news, our bullpen is in question and our errors by vet players finally caught up tonight. and, you cant stop hitting after the 2nd inning. maybe we will win still, if not, lets try to win sat and sun

102. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:08 AM

The bull pen pitcher must hate Det, they refusr to pitch for him.no way Zim gets the guy at second why throw it.Why all these damn walks.

103. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:08 AM

lot of unnecessary drama.

104. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Looks like Espy's ears are burning …

105. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:08 AM

I can do without the free baseball tonight, guys. Get it done.

106. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Well, Stammen for the 10th and the rest of the game …

107. Grandstander - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:09 AM

It's only one game, but if these guys continue to come in and walk batters in close games, I wouldn't be surprised to see a bit of reshuffling in the bullpen in the next few weeks.I have way less of a problem with guys getting beat up when they're at least throwing strikes. This is infuriating.

108. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:09 AM

He did kind of have that look of The One Who Messed Up, didn't he?

109. mick - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:10 AM

I bet Det is PO

110. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:10 AM

The Nats, out "smart-balled" by Fredi.

111. mick - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Grandstander, exactly and that is something Davey would agree with

112. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Somewhere Riggleman is smiling.

113. Theophilus T. S. - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Clippard, Storen should be thankful DC has strict gun control laws, else Detweiler would be packing, hunting.Vote for getting rid of Clippard at the trade deadline and Storen over the winter.

114. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Agreed Sofa. No free baseball tonight!

115. ehay2k - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Not sure why Davey had Storen pitch the eighth and ninth, but my recollection is that Drew can pitch ONE, and ONLY one, inning. Even if the first inning is only one pitch. Is Davey teaching, or geezing?

116. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Maybe, although I don't know how much credit goes to Fredi for Clip n' Store walking half the lineup.

117. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Det should be pissed. Storen gave up 2 runs each of his game. Soriano ,2 Clip 1. Lost 2 wins now because the relievers walk guys then give up hits.

118. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:14 AM

T-Mo? Tracey?

119. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:15 AM

T-Mo gave it a ride. He needs to get more at bats.

120. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:15 AM

ehay, Storen came in for four outs only because Clippard couldn't find the plate with google earth.

121. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Fredi's two bunts set it all up. Pure Riggleman.

122. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Det 90 pitches in 7. Relievers 59 in 2. Who rarned their pay tonight.Hitter quit . 6 hits first 2. 2 in last 7.

123. ehay2k - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:16 AM

59 pitches from Clip and Store? Good thing this is only April. Just wish this wasn't the Barves.

124. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:18 AM

I generally only ask this once a season, but this is as good a time as any.How come, when the opposition doesn't hit, it's because the Nats pitchers are good, but when the Nats don't hit, it's because they suck?

125. Joe Seamhead - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:18 AM

This is painful. And it is uncomfortably chilly.

126. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Should have gone to Stammen in the 9th. Sotren put out the fire he's not really good at coming back for another. He's been honed as a one inning shutdown guy.

127. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Where was Stammen in regulation

128. ehay2k - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Sofa, it does not matter. If you are trying to win this game, then Drew cannot pitch two innings. Period. He has a bad history there. He is a closer,not a middle reliever. He does not know how to restart after coming into the dugout. Same reason you don't we dragsters at the Daytona 500 – it's a BAD fit.So, I hope Davey was teaching, because if he thought Drew could actually pitch two innings, he was geezing

129. Dave - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Joe Seamhead, if it's anything like last night, you guys are probably pretty darn chilly out there. Stands still look nice & full, though.

130. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:22 AM

but when the Nats don't hit, it's because they suck?They've got some holes in the lineup. Zim, LaRoche, and Danny again. Danny often seems like he should be BJ's brother not Justin. The only real power this season will be Harper until Zim's shoulder comes completely around. Then he'll be a huge threat. You can't expect Desmond to be a 20-20 guy every year. Its really not a strong lineup xtra-base hit power-wise. So, they will have to manufacture and scratch out runs and hope the pitching and defense can hold the other teams down to few runs.

131. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Is it me, or has the strike zone been floating all night?

132. Depot Master - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Another freaking walk from a Nats reliever. At this point they could have used Henry.

133. Ivan Tuski - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Enough with the freak walks

134. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:23 AM

ehay, tell Davey, don't tell me. I just answered the question, it wasn't my idea.

135. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Another walk. Henry might make an appearance. Otherwise its Duke.

136. ehay2k - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Sofa,it's not you. Some has been more relative to the batters' position than the plate.

137. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Stammen does have some filthy stuff tonight though.

138. ehay2k - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Zone has been …

139. Depot Master - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:26 AM

The Nats pitchers walked people who were batting under .100. Don't blame the strike zone. Up by 3 you groove it to those guys.

140. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:26 AM

How come, when the opposition doesn't hit, it's because the Nats pitchers are good, but when the Nats don't hit, it's because they suck? I'll rephrase the question. How come, when the opposition isn't successful against the Nats, it's because the Nats did something right, but when the opposition does succeed, it's not because they did something right, but that the Nats did something wrong? Like that, for instance.

141. Dave - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Drive safely, everybody.

142. ehay2k - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Pitch ran back.

143. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:27 AM

He's still working on that cutter/slider thing. But it looks filthy.

144. Grandstander - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:27 AM

He hung one to Johnson and got away with it, not that time. Goodnight everyone, Strasburg tomorrow, hopefully Davey will let him pitch into the 8th!

145. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Well the bullpen blows a big game. Should have stuck with the cutter even if it was a tad wild.

146. Scott Margenau - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Ugh. Maalox plz

147. Theophilus T. S. - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Lemmee know first of September if they're still w/in 10 games of a playoff spot; I'm going to find something else to do for the rest of the summer.

148. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:28 AM

When are these telievers going to quit walking people. walk extends the inning and a 2 run shotLook great until Det removed. Thanks Davey.

149. ehay2k - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Assuming we lose, then our Manager blew the game. Gotta know your staff.

150. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:29 AM

then he ks next guy. a little late Stammen.

151. Depot Master - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Anyone feeling a bit like the last day of the season last year, right now? I guess the good news is Det can't single anyone out in the bullpen to go after and they can apologize in concert. At some point this year, Davey needs to have the courage to stick with the hot hand. Det could have gone at least one more. Had he done that, Tyler comes in, implodes, Drew bails him out and we're done. Now, we likely lose to, yes, I am going to say it, currently THE BEST TEAM IN BASEBALL, when we could have taken one. Guess that'll teach Carp and FP to talk about winning a series before the first game is over…

152. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Strasburg tomorrow, hopefully Davey will let him pitch into the 8thThe Nats FO, Davey and Stras will want to be there in September this time … Davey is going to try hard to keep folks fresh …Looks like the first loss at home to the Braves.

153. Nats Fan in Brazil - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:29 AM

And thats the 2013 nationall weakness: the bulppen!Davey gotta learn to live the starters in, otherwise this is gonnna be a long season!

154. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Werth, Harper, Zim. Kimbrel. Big comeback time.

155. Dave - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Wow, T.S. Really? After one bad game?Have a nice summer, then. I, though, will go to the game tomorrow, and another couple the next homestand, and so on through the summer. Been watching since 2005, and I've waited a long time to see a good team. And this is a good team, despite tonight's unfortunate last half.

156. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Going to the Rally Sofa …

157. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Braves fans at the game are probably tomahawk chopping everywhere right now …

158. Dave - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:31 AM

On the disastrous July collapse game last year, Espinosa hit a dinger against Kimbrel.It can be done.

159. Ivan Tuski - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:32 AM

I was surprised Davey didn't rest Soriano last night so he would have him for this series

160. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Davey gotta learn to live the starters in, otherwise this is gonnna be a long season!Seven innings allowing 1 run is an excellent quality start?If you burn your starters out early you won't have a season. They'll be crap in August through September.

161. ehay2k - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:34 AM

Kimbrel gets some low calls

162. Scott Margenau - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:35 AM

So that's what a closer looks like.

163. Nats Fan in Brazil - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:35 AM

164. Candide - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Can't believe I'm thinking how I hate our bull pen.

165. peric - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Peric, everyother team in MLB lets their starter go deep, and they all do just fine, there is no need for davey be saving arms!Not unless they are crappy teams. Then it doesn't matter most of the pitchers are AAAA that they picked up off the waiver wire … like Livo was.Believe me Fredi is going to do the same thing as Davey.

166. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:38 AM

starters should go 100-105 pitches. 90 is not burning anyone. Not sure why you keep mentioning burning.

167. ehay2k - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Brazil, I disagree. And you have to remember that this is a young staff. Pettite and Verlander can pitch deep. Not our guys, yet. But that was a game we gave away, not that Atlanta won. Remember that.

168. Dave - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:40 AM

"Inability to throw strikes." Ray Knight's analysis pretty much sums it up.

169. mick - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Wow, a statement game for Braves, they have a bullpen and frankly we have nobody on Kimbrell's level. Bottom of their order wins the game, top of our order goes down 1-2-3. very frustrating game. You can not walk batters, your 2 relievers can NOT throw almost 60 pitches in 2 innings and win a game. maybe tonight will be an anomalie, i hope, but I am very down on Clip and Storen reminded me of game 5 verse Cards, he had a 2 run lead in 9th and blew it. Tonight R Zim helped him blow it

170. mick - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:43 AM

but, we are 7-3 an I suspect will beat the teams we should and may not be able to beat teams like the Braves. We are a playoff team and a very good young team for a long time. I think Davey knows what the red flags are and will both Rizzo and him will correct it soon

171. Unknown - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Mick – NO ONE in Baseball, not even Mariano, is on Kimbrel's level right now – well, maybe Chapman, but that's IT. He is elite and could be the difference in what is shaping up to be a season long battle for first place with the Braves. HOWEVER, guys like him are always one pitch from an exploded elbow – it will happen to Kimbrel, just a matter of when – although I hope not because if the Nats win, I want them to beat the best and Kimbrel is the best closer in baseball. We forget how close the Nats came to winning – Heyward hit a foul ball that's a game-ending 3rd out but for the April wind and Uptons grounder was perfectly placed or Zim steps on 3rd and game over.It was a suc*y game for the Nats, but it is only 1 game. They are 7-3, a .700 winning percentage with only 3 easy games, Braves are 10-1, playing 1 non-easy game. It will even out, but Nats' pen needs to settle down, trust their stuff, and QUIT ISSUING SO MANY WALKS!!

172. Dave - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Braves are actually only 9-1. This was game #10 for both teams.Pitchers should throw strikes, indeed.

173. natsfan1a - Apr 13, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Well said, Dave. See you at the ballpark. :-)Dave said… Wow, T.S. Really? After one bad game? Have a nice summer, then. I, though, will go to the game tomorrow, and another couple the next homestand, and so on through the summer. Been watching since 2005, and I've waited a long time to see a good team. And this is a good team, despite tonight's unfortunate last half. April 12, 2013 10:30 PM

174. NatsFanSinceStart - Apr 13, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Oh well, at least I have Gattis on my Fantasy team.Zimmerman cost us big — losing my patience.