Apr 12, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Braves come to Nationals Park for a big weekend series.
The Nationals and Braves will face each other 19 times this season, so one weekend series in mid-April isn't going to decide the NL East race. That said, the next three days will offer a nice opportunity to see how these two juggernauts stack up against each other.
Game 1 features a matchup of guys who technically are No. 5 starters but really don't fit the typical mold of a No. 5 starter. Ross Detwiler emerged late last season as burgeoning elite pitcher, and he pitched very well in his season debut last weekend in Cincinnati. Julio Teheran, meanwhile, remains a bright prospect for the Braves, a 22-year-old flamethrower making only his sixth career start.
Nothing surprising in the Nats' lineup, with Kurt Suzuki behind the plate tonight. Something to keep in mind for later in the game: Rafael Soriano probably won't be available after pitching three straight nights, so don't be surprised if Drew Storen is used in a closer situation, should the opportunity present itself.
Updates to come…
ATLANTA BRAVES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB Network (outside DC market), MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), XM 89
Weather: Partly cloudy, 71 degrees, Wind 11 mph out to RF
CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays