Apr 12, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Braves come to Nationals Park for a big weekend series.
The Nationals and Braves will face each other 19 times this season, so one weekend series in mid-April isn't going to decide the NL East race. That said, the next three days will offer a nice opportunity to see how these two juggernauts stack up against each other.
Game 1 features a matchup of guys who technically are No. 5 starters but really don't fit the typical mold of a No. 5 starter. Ross Detwiler emerged late last season as burgeoning elite pitcher, and he pitched very well in his season debut last weekend in Cincinnati. Julio Teheran, meanwhile, remains a bright prospect for the Braves, a 22-year-old flamethrower making only his sixth career start.
Nothing surprising in the Nats' lineup, with Kurt Suzuki behind the plate tonight. Something to keep in mind for later in the game: Rafael Soriano probably won't be available after pitching three straight nights, so don't be surprised if Drew Storen is used in a closer situation, should the opportunity present itself.
Updates to come…
ATLANTA BRAVES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB Network (outside DC market), MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), XM 89
Weather: Partly cloudy, 71 degrees, Wind 11 mph out to RF
CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats believe Ramos can catch 125 games
- Nationals in no rush to acquire left-hander
- Rizzo talks up Espinosa amid trade rumors
- Report: Phillies willing to trade All-Star Dominic Brown
- Long-time Nats nemesis Halladay retires
- La Russa, Cox, Torre elected to Hall of Fame
- Lefties on agenda as Winter Meetings begin
- Granderson, Mets reach $60M, 4-yr deal
- Could Michael Morse return to the National League?
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance