Apr 12, 2013, 2:23 AM EST
|Photo by USA Today|
Game in a nutshell: Dan Haren (1-1) earned his first win of the season despite a long day in his first appearance before the Nationals' home crowd. He gave up ten hits through five innings, threw 101 pitches, but kept the White Sox to three runs. He even hit a double and scored a lead-taking run in the fourth inning. White Sox pitcher Dylan Axelrod also threw a lot of pitches with 40 in the first inning alone. He ended up with 103 and also got a hit and scored a run.
Hitting highlight: Ryan Zimmerman had a pretty good day reaching base in each of his first three at-bats. He walked twice to begin the game, then hit a two RBI double in the fourth. The White Sox intentionally walked Bryce Harper (the first of his young career) to put two men on with two outs. Zimmerman then lofted a long fly ball over Alex Rios' head in right field to clear the bases and put the Nats up 6-3.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals players excited to see pitching staff in action
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon