Apr 12, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Rafael Soriano has appeared in three straight games.
Though they acquired Rafael Soriano specifically to take over closer duties, the Nationals knew all along Drew Storen would still get opportunities to close games. And that first opportunity could come tonight in the opener of a big series against the Braves.
Soriano pitched each of the last three nights, saving every game of the Nationals’ sweep of the White Sox, and that leaves his availability for tonight’s game against Atlanta up in the air.
Davey Johnson said this afternoon he hadn’t yet had a chance to check with Soriano, but the manager suggested he would give the veteran the night off and instead go with Storen should the Nationals hold a slim lead in the ninth inning.
“I think [Storen] probably had a feeling last night he might have been called on, because Soriano has pitched a lot,” Johnson said. “I hope we have that problem. I hope we get to a point where it’s a decision I have to make.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate