Apr 15, 2013, 10:27 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Danny Espinosa is out of the Nationals’ lineup tonight with a bruised right wrist.
MIAMI — Two regular members of the Nationals’ starting lineup sat out tonight’s series opener against the Marlins, though not for the same reason.
Second baseman Danny Espinosa continues to be bothered by a bruised right hand after getting hit with a pitch during Sunday’s loss to the Braves. Adam LaRoche, meanwhile, is physically 100 percent but was given the night off to allow Tyler Moore an opportunity to start at first base.
Though Espinosa’s injury isn’t serious — X-rays came back negative — the base of his right hand is considerably swollen, leaving his wrist and hand stiff. Flying at high altitude on the Nationals’ charter from Washington to Miami Sunday night didn’t help matters.
“The swelling has increased so much that everything has got extremely stiff,” he said. “The bruising is starting to settle in the back and all over my forearm and in my hand. The grip strength on my two fingers is … really stiff. It’s sore, but I would say that the swelling is what’s making it hurt so bad.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- MLB Power Rankings: Tigers righting the ship
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop