Apr 15, 2013, 10:27 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Danny Espinosa is out of the Nationals’ lineup tonight with a bruised right wrist.
MIAMI — Two regular members of the Nationals’ starting lineup sat out tonight’s series opener against the Marlins, though not for the same reason.
Second baseman Danny Espinosa continues to be bothered by a bruised right hand after getting hit with a pitch during Sunday’s loss to the Braves. Adam LaRoche, meanwhile, is physically 100 percent but was given the night off to allow Tyler Moore an opportunity to start at first base.
Though Espinosa’s injury isn’t serious — X-rays came back negative — the base of his right hand is considerably swollen, leaving his wrist and hand stiff. Flying at high altitude on the Nationals’ charter from Washington to Miami Sunday night didn’t help matters.
“The swelling has increased so much that everything has got extremely stiff,” he said. “The bruising is starting to settle in the back and all over my forearm and in my hand. The grip strength on my two fingers is … really stiff. It’s sore, but I would say that the swelling is what’s making it hurt so bad.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Bryce Harper's 'nothing but hustle' Nats magazine (PHOTO)
- Espinosa making most of his playing opportunity
- Strasburg, Nats hope to turn page vs. Cardinals
- Harper, Williams and Werth on benching (VIDEO)
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.
- Zimmermann, Nats look for two in a row vs. Cardinals
- Drew Storen comes through in Nats' 3-1 win over Cardinals
- Nationals respond to Williams' challenge, beat Cards