Apr 15, 2013, 10:27 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Danny Espinosa is out of the Nationals’ lineup tonight with a bruised right wrist.
MIAMI — Two regular members of the Nationals’ starting lineup sat out tonight’s series opener against the Marlins, though not for the same reason.
Second baseman Danny Espinosa continues to be bothered by a bruised right hand after getting hit with a pitch during Sunday’s loss to the Braves. Adam LaRoche, meanwhile, is physically 100 percent but was given the night off to allow Tyler Moore an opportunity to start at first base.
Though Espinosa’s injury isn’t serious — X-rays came back negative — the base of his right hand is considerably swollen, leaving his wrist and hand stiff. Flying at high altitude on the Nationals’ charter from Washington to Miami Sunday night didn’t help matters.
“The swelling has increased so much that everything has got extremely stiff,” he said. “The bruising is starting to settle in the back and all over my forearm and in my hand. The grip strength on my two fingers is … really stiff. It’s sore, but I would say that the swelling is what’s making it hurt so bad.”
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring
- Harper, Detwiler lead Nationals against Mets
- Purke, Taylor among latest round of Nats cuts
- Has Jimmy Rollins been benched in Philly?
- Roark gives up 3 runs in Nats loss
- Nationals split up to face Astros, Braves