Apr 15, 2013, 10:27 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Danny Espinosa is out of the Nationals’ lineup tonight with a bruised right wrist.
MIAMI — Two regular members of the Nationals’ starting lineup sat out tonight’s series opener against the Marlins, though not for the same reason.
Second baseman Danny Espinosa continues to be bothered by a bruised right hand after getting hit with a pitch during Sunday’s loss to the Braves. Adam LaRoche, meanwhile, is physically 100 percent but was given the night off to allow Tyler Moore an opportunity to start at first base.
Though Espinosa’s injury isn’t serious — X-rays came back negative — the base of his right hand is considerably swollen, leaving his wrist and hand stiff. Flying at high altitude on the Nationals’ charter from Washington to Miami Sunday night didn’t help matters.
“The swelling has increased so much that everything has got extremely stiff,” he said. “The bruising is starting to settle in the back and all over my forearm and in my hand. The grip strength on my two fingers is … really stiff. It’s sore, but I would say that the swelling is what’s making it hurt so bad.”
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats