Game 13: Nats at Marlins

Apr 15, 2013, 7:29 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Marlins Park hosts the Nationals on Jackie Robinson Day.

MIAMI — First off, as I publish tonight's game thread, there is news (and some very upsetting photos) coming out of Boston, where there apparently were a pair of explosions near the marathon finish line, seriously injuring many people. A baseball game in Miami seems pretty insignificant at the moment, but this is a baseball blog, so we'll proceed with the news of the day from the Nationals.

Two starters are not in Davey Johnson's lineup for this series opener against the Marlins: Danny Espinosa and Adam LaRoche. Espinosa took a pitch off his right wrist yesterday, so that's not a huge surprise. (Steve Lombardozzi will start at second base in his place.) Not sure yet whether LaRoche's absence has to do with the bad back that sidelined him last weekend in Cincinnati, or whether this has to do with his .147 batting average to begin the season. In either case, Tyler Moore gets his first start of the year at first base.

The Marlins have their own big-name player sidelined tonight: Giancarlo Stanton continues to be hampered by a bad shoulder, so Miami's only true offensive threat will be on the bench. That should make things considerably easier for Jordan Zimmermann, who will be looking to get the Nationals back on track after their weekend sweep at the hands of the Braves.

It's Jackie Robinson Day around MLB, and every player on the field for every team will be wearing No. 42 in his honor. Given the events unfolding in Boston, now seems an appropriate time to remind everyone how much the sports world unites us all, no matter our individual backgrounds.

Updates to come…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MIAMI MARLINS
Where: Marlins Park
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Indoors

CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper

1. Eric - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Man…I hope LaRoche is just being given a breather and that he isn't injured or anything…

2. UnkyD - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I thought this was mildly amusing… Jr. Gwynn's response to a heckler…http://www.break.com/index/tony-gwynn-jr-owns-heckler-2433694

3. UnkyD - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Be interesting to see if T-Mo and Lombo provide an offensive spark….

4. baseballswami - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Jackie Robinson Day, the day Lincoln died, explosions at the Boston Marathon on Patriot's Day. Puts losing a couple of baseball games in perspective.

5. do1teach1 - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:45 PM

A few thoughts before we start the Marlins series:A caller to the pre-game radio show on Sunday asked about Zimm’s throwing. Dave and Charlie were full of happiness and assurance that Zimm wasn’t going anywhere, and it was all about the shoulder. Post-game, cheery Phil Wood kept all the focus on the shoulder, and said the problem Friday night was that Espi got to the bag too late—total nonsense. I have heard no commentary on the very real possibility that the problem is in Zimm’s head and appears to be getting worse. I hate the thought of Zimm going through the yips, but it looks like that may be where we’re headed.I was in 209 for the Friday night debacle. There were a bunch of Atlanta drunks in the first row. They were super-blitzed and turned to taunt us when Atlanta did big things. It was very unpleasant. I have attended victorious Nats games at Turner Field and never taunted anyone. We used to think of Southern manners. But, with declining standards of fan behavior across the country, some people want to imitate Philly fans now.The Nats organization spends a lot of its time congratulating itself on drafting players, developing them, and on being super-deep at every position on the field—including of course our legendary bench. After what Atlanta just showed us, the Nats PR team might want to boast a little less in the future.Every manager in baseball will ensure the DJ quote “Nationals: World Series or Bust” is the last thing his players see before they take the field against us. Saying this was a huge mistake.I’m not panicking about the season, but I do wonder if we’ve got enough guys who have that demonic determination to win. All costs, no prisoners, no alternatives. We have some of these guys. Whether we have enough of them will determine what happens to the Nats this season.

6. EmDash - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:45 PM

LaRoche got his hand run into by a runner yesterday on an offline throw by Zimm, if I recall, so they could be giving him a day off as a precautionary measure for that.Yeah, the news out of Boston makes it hard to be too worried about anything related to the team today.

7. Laddie Blah Blah - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:46 PM

"Be interesting to see if T-Mo and Lombo provide an offensive spark…."I suspect Lombo will give the Nats an offensive lift out of the 7-hole. And TyMo needs the reps. I think he's a guy who needs to play everyday to stay sharp. I had thought they might send him down to Syracuse to work on his defense and improve his approach at the plate. Owings seems to fit the profile of a bench guy better than TyMo, anyway.And Skole will be playing every day (when he comes off the DL), learning both 3rd base and 1st base, while TyMo languishes on the bench. When ALR leaves in 2 years, Skole will have 2 years of honing his skill set at 1st base while TyMo will have a collection of pine splinters to offer as his resume for that 1st base job.

8. baseballswami - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:49 PM

About the ATL fans– remember the wild card game? That is who you are dealing with. It did not used to be that way with their fans. Even ten years ago their fans would never have trashed their field. New breed? Please, Nats fans, can we not let that happen here?

9. Laddie Blah Blah - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:51 PM

"Puts losing a couple of baseball games in perspective."Three killed, at first report. Two explosions, about 40 seconds apart. It's Patriot's Day up there. No news, as yet, on the cause of the explosions. The blast reportedly went off at the finish line. I don't believe in coincidences, and that's about 3 too many for me.

10. Eric - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:51 PM

"I have heard no commentary on the very real possibility that the problem is in Zimm’s head and appears to be getting worse. I hate the thought of Zimm going through the yips, but it looks like that may be where we’re headed."I think the dude spent a season throwing the ball specifically to accommodate an injury, and now is having to shake that off…but, we'll see…

11. Eric - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:53 PM

"I don't believe in coincidences, and that's about 3 too many for me."I would be almost as shocked to learn that Boston was an accident as I am that it happened in the first place. Really hope the casualty list is minimal :(.

12. Gonat - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Lefty pitching so if LaR is resting, good time for it and TyMo needs to get going!

13. Gonat - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Thoughts and prayers to the injured in Boston.

14. baseballswami - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Glad the team is away right now.

15. Eric - Apr 15, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Oy…

16. natsfan1a - Apr 15, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Seconding Gonat, thoughts and prayers for those injured or killed, and for their loved ones.

17. UnkyD - Apr 15, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Teach: I would be disappointed in a professional commentator who wanted to bang any. "Mental/head issues" drums after two weeks of a player coming off an injury that forced him into an unnatural throwing motion for most of the previous season. That is the purview of we, who post semi-anonymously, on blogs… Zim might have issues, but I'd certainly give him several more weeks to find his fielding stroke…

18. Gonat - Apr 15, 2013 at 8:25 PM

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenterBREAKING: Boston PD reports 23 injuries, 2 deaths in marathon explosions. Reports say police are still finding "secondary devices."

19. Bob Saget Nats Fan 101 - Apr 15, 2013 at 8:33 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with those affects by the boston explosions

20. Gonat - Apr 15, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Senseless acts of violence carried out by chicken sh– terrorists that spew hatred and live for their hatred of Americans, but yet they will live in our country.I just saw a video. It's bad. Blood and body parts.

21. Gonat - Apr 15, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Just read the lineups. No Giancarlo Stanton in their lineup and according to Mark will be one less on their bench. Sounds like he is day to day. I think this is day 3 or 4 he is out.

22. NatsLady - Apr 15, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I have been cooped up in my studio for hours, didn't even know there was news in Boston til I saw the word here. Very upsetting. Could have been the baseball game, might have been way more casualties. I don't know how you protect a big event that is all over town like a marathon. We have them here all the time. Prayers out to the victims & families.

23. mick - Apr 15, 2013 at 9:14 PM

out of the mood for baseball tonight, my prayers are with all the families of victims

24. NatsLady - Apr 15, 2013 at 9:19 PM

mick, I feel the same. I doubt they will postpone games all over the country but they already postponed sporting events in Boston of course.

25. SonnyG10 - Apr 15, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Echoed from above, my prayers to those who were injured or killed in the Boston Marathon event and their families.

26. A DC Wonk - Apr 15, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Ditto — a good reminder to us that this baseball thing is a _game_.Which is why I try to follow the advice of: get happy/high when they win, but not to get cranky/low when they lose. (It sure helps one live longer!)

27. SonnyG10 - Apr 15, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Can't let the terrorists dictate how we live. Let's play ball and beat the Marlins tonight.

28. Rabbit34 - Apr 15, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Even if Moore and Lombo don't do anything great, nothing great was being done anyway. Although, I must say, I am pleased at Espinosa striking the ball. He is at least giving it a chance this year. Zimmerman should sit out many games also. We need to give the lineup a shot. We need bats! It would also be nice to have someone who can throw from third to first and not from third into the stands. Just another night at the park.

29. NatsLady - Apr 15, 2013 at 9:41 PM

The video from the Boston Glove is absolutely terrifying, especially when the 2nd bomb went off. If you have never lived through a city bombed in a war, that is what it is like–devastating, mentally, even if you are not injured.

30. NatsLady - Apr 15, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Apparently the Rays-Red Sox game ended 40 minutes before the explosions and they were able to get to Baltimore. Pachelbon lived right above where the bombing took place (from Twitter).

31. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Time to get back to winning.

32. Candide - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:18 PM

NatsLady said…If you have never lived through a city bombed in a war, that is what it is like–devastating, mentally, even if you are not injured. My mother grew up in Paris during WW II. To this day, the sound of ambulance, police, or fire sirens gives her the willies.And that's all I'm going to say about bombings here, because I'll eventually write something Mark is forced to delete.

33. Candide - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Everyone wearing #42 always reminds me of that Monty Python skit about the philosophy department at the university of Australia.

34. JaneB - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Sports DO unite us. Thank you for writing about Real World stuff, Mark.GYFNG! Be awesome goons!

35. Old Wino - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Great job Mark.

36. Old Wino - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:10 PM

By the way, am I the only one that hates the stadium in Miami? What were they thinking?

37. Section 222 - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Condolences to the families. Horrible day. Ok, this is my last comment on this topic, but I can't resist. MLB Now (with Brian K and Harold R, moderated by Kristina A) did a piece on Jason Heyward's hustle today and showed an overhead view of Zim's throwing error on Friday night that I hadn't seen before. It's absolutely clear as day that any commentator who said Zim had no chance to get the runner at first or who said that Espi is to blame for the error was absolutely dead wrong. The play is at minute 18 of the show if you happened to record it. When Zim's throw was about halfway to second base. Heyward is maybe 8 feet from the base. Danny is closer to the base, and on a line to where a good throw would end up. The batter is literally only halfway to first at that moment. When the ball arrives at second, Heyward and Danny are both already there. Even on a good throw with Espi in perfect position, Heyward would have been safe. (At least only one run would have scored.) At that moment, the batter was at least four to six steps from first. It was a long throw, yes, but if Zim had a major league arm, he could have thrown out the batter and we would have won that ball game. Case closed.

38. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:21 PM

good job zim. Arg never make iut 1 at third

39. Candide - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Harper might have been safe there, but he was a bonehead.

40. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Though he was easily safe. Not sure how ump mised that.

41. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Time for Tyler to get off the 0 for 2013.

42. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Manassas, the throw beat him by a mile. He's out. Can't do that.

43. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM

TyMo good hit.Zim looks hurt.

44. NatsLady - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM

RZ looks terrible! Something is wrong with him.

45. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM

And he does. Plus 2 ribbies.

46. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Agreed Candide @7:21

47. Steve J, Alexandria - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Zims hurt — Rendon is coming up, boys and girls!!!they'll start with Lombo at 3rd and work in rendon.Its a Hammy Mammy!!!

48. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:26 PM

When a throw beats Bryce by that much you are out.

49. Steve J, Alexandria - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM

50. Depot Master - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Wow. That #42 is pretty good!

51. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Still enjoying this. Keep going.

52. Steve J, Alexandria - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:29 PM

"Time for Moore to get off his 0/13" hahatime to give him some ab's, that would be nice.Lets let Zim get off his 0/13 homer drought. But with his Hammy, he wont get that chance until may, maybe Never

53. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM

A lot of cursing you can hear.

54. Steve J, Alexandria - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:32 PM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

55. Steve J, Alexandria - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM

If JZim ever throws a no no, maybe its tonight!!

56. Rabbit34 - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Top of the first. 4-0. I don't believe this lead is anywhere big enough for the Nats to hold. LaRoche did well…oh, that was Moore. What can you say about Zim, huh? Hey ma, look what I did!!!! Yea, go nats.

57. Gonat - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:35 PM

NatsLady said… RZ looks terrible! Something is wrong with him. April 15, 2013 7:24 PM ___________________________He's still out there unless there's another 42 at 3rd.

58. Scott Margenau - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:35 PM

TMoore and Lombo !!! Ty baseball gods!!

59. Rabbit34 - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM

NatsLady, yes. I somewhat kid about Zim, but he reallly doesn't look good.

60. Gonat - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Interesting how BABIP giveths and takeths. Span and Zim with those balls that found there way through. On Sunday, they're outs.

61. Mark Zuckerman - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Steve J: Watch it. Tonight is not the night to push people's buttons. Please keep it civil and respectful.That goes for everyone out there.

62. Candide - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Thank you, Mark.

63. Gonat - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:41 PM

LaRoche in the dugout "Why did I get this game off. I could go 4 for 4 against this guy".

64. Candide - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:42 PM

MASN has a cruise ship?I hate Angelos even more now.

65. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I didnt see what he wrote, but nothing on the field has happened to upset anyone yet.

66. Gonat - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Steve J, Alexandria said… If JZim ever throws a no no, maybe its tonight!! April 15, 2013 7:33 PM __________________________________Thank you Mark! If Stevie J can post like this or be constructively critical then I say welcome. I do like his post above.

67. Gonat - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Wow, K's Ruggiano on a sizzling 4 seamer!

68. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Mets game postponed as NatsLady thought was likely. But I do want to see Harvey against Nats.

69. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Cincinnati is 5-7. I wonder how their fans are panicking.

70. A DC Wonk - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:51 PM

a little luck, a little skill . . . nice combination- Stanton not playing: he already has three home runs off of JZ. Nice break for us.- LaBlanc: has an ERA of 0.00 this year after the first inning — nice to jump on him in the first today- Nats: hit the ball sharply, but on the ground in the first inning — nice that all those grounders went through for hitsI feel good tonight — and JZ is dealing

71. NatsNut - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Don't get too comfy with this 4-0 lead, boys. Keep it coming.

72. Candide - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Nats jump out to a quick 4-0 lead. Pitcher's dealing. Nats bats go to sleep.Wait a minute, didn't I see this show last week?

73. Candide - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:53 PM

NatsNut, I think I might owe you a drink. What say you?

74. Gonat - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Rendon goes yard again!

75. Gonat - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Rendon with a double and a HR. 2-3TyMo!!!!

76. NatsNut - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Tyler owes LaRoche a nice steak dinner.

77. Gonat - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Goon squad!!!!!!!

78. Candide - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Okay, starting to feel better now…

79. NatsNut - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Not sure Candide. Can we call in another judge?

80. Gonat - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:57 PM

NatsNut said… Tyler owes LaRoche a nice steak dinner. April 15, 2013 7:55 PM ________________________________TyMo needed that and deserved it. This is what should have been done earlier against the lefty pitching.

81. RickH - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Amen, NatsNut. And they are!

82. Candide - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Ooh, John Maine. I remember being at a Nats-Mets game and Dunn hit a monster HR off him.

83. Brendan - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Man, bring in some relief for Jackie Robinson, he is getting lit up out there.

84. Scott Margenau - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Wow! T Mo + Lombo and instant offense! Come on Steve!!! Preach it!

85. Candide - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:59 PM

NatsNut, I'm feeling generous; I'll head over to NIDO and pour you one. BRB.

86. A DC Wonk - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:59 PM

ok, so I jinxed LeBlanc. So sorry (not).So, he ERA ain't 0.00 after the first anymore.GYFNG!

87. A DC Wonk - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Candide said… Nats jump out to a quick 4-0 lead. Pitcher's dealing. Nats bats go to sleep. Wait a minute, didn't I see this show last week?Nope. New show this week!

88. NatsNut - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Cool, Candide. I've arrived!

89. Candide - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:04 AM

NatsNut, 1a already owed you two. You lost your virginity a while ago!

90. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Gotta love JZimms pitch count. 9 that inning for a total of 31 through 3 innings.

91. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:11 AM

92. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:12 AM

It's a simple game, for a thrower, catcher, batter …"A little luck, a little skill …"With the emphasis on the latter!

93. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Bryce is bummed. Everyone is hitting except Bryce and JZim and Zuk.

94. RickH - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Well that pitching change worked. Go Zim!!!

95. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:14 AM

There's nothing wrong with ZIM

96. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:14 AM

zim hits with bad leg

97. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Uh….want to add Zim to the hit parade there Gonat?

98. Candide - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:15 AM

When you hit them out, you don't HAVE to run well.

99. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Ian Desmond almost decapitated Maine.

100. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:17 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… Uh….want to add Zim to the hit parade there Gonat? April 15, 2013 8:15 PM _____________________________I wrote JZim. RZim already had a hit, now he has 2.

101. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Harp slumping 0 for 10

102. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:20 AM

103. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Oh well, no no-hitter tonight.

104. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:21 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… My bad…..you're right, Gonat.Any chance we'll see you next Sunday at the O's/Dodgers game? April 15, 2013 8:20 PM ____________________________________I can go Friday night.

105. NatsNut - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:22 AM

106. Candide - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I STILL haven't ever seen one. Saw Mussina come within an out or two of doing it once.JZimm still facing the minimum through 4.

107. Candide - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:23 AM

NatsNut said… this is starting to feel as if we're coming home and kicking the dog after being bullied by the boss all day at work.Dammit, where's that "like" button? :-)

108. A DC Wonk - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:23 AM

38 pitches for JZ after four. I like this.

109. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:24 AM

We're not getting to DC till Saturday.Sweet! Another quick 7 pitch inning for a total of 38 through 4!

110. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:25 AM

I owe you one Wonk. I'll mark it up in the morning.

111. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM

DC Wonk, agreed. Only one long at-bat on that K of Ruggiano.

112. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:27 AM

JZim needs to join the hit parade!

113. Scott Margenau - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Damn! No hitter gone. Anyone else loving this lineup? Granted marlins are not good, but still…

114. Candide - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:28 AM

"Too early to call off the bunt?"Seems I recall the Nats losing to the Cubs after leading 8-0 last year.Pour it on.

115. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Carp just pulled out an old word of Bryce Harper's "hitterish"!

116. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Candide, July 20th to Barves last year was a 9-0 lead.

117. Candide - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Yeah, but the Barves were a GOOD team.

118. Candide - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Keep kicking that dog.

119. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:30 AM

That was great Jayson Werrrrr Bernadina. WTG, Carp!

120. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:33 AM

"this is starting to feel as if we're coming home and kicking the dog after being bullied by the boss all day at work."I was just thinking of a Far Side cartoon: two huge cowboys drinking at the bar with a very much smaller cowboy sitting next to them. Drunk at the end of the bar yelling at the small guy, "You! Yeah, I'm talkin to you!"

121. RickH - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Desmond flashing the glove!

122. A DC Wonk - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:37 AM

48 pitches after five. Outstanding.

123. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:37 AM

I posted yesterday that their would be a Fish Fry today as the Nats would take out their frustration on Miami.

124. NatsNut - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:38 AM

LOL, Sofa.

125. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:40 AM

I hate when Bryce plays outside of his disciplined game plan. He's swung at some lousy pitches.

126. A DC Wonk - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:41 AM

JP & Carp note: Nats outscoring Marlins 21-1 this season thus far. Ouch.

127. Joe Seamhead - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Hi, everybody. So glad all of the Nats are doing well tonight. An emotional afternoon and evening here. One our best friends' girlfriend ran the Boston Marathon today. Her mom, brother, daughters were all up to cheer her on. Her brother was waiting at the finish line for her, across the street from the hotel when one of the bombs went off. He saw the explosion, but thankfully didn't get hurt, neither did our runner friend Jill. Nothing but dumb luck, or fate. Our friend got a call from his girlfriend right after it happened, and she was understandably a bit of a basket case. Folks, hug a loved one tonight. Prayers for all of the victims, and their families, and for the USA.GYFNG!!!

128. Candide - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Happy for your friend and their family, JS.

129. Candide - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:50 AM

…and that's why you keep kicking the dog…

130. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Sorry Carp, JZim went a full 7 innings vs the White Sox last week.

131. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Nevermind what I said before. This is my new run-in music. WARNING: It is so invigorating!

132. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:56 AM

133. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:56 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… We're not getting to DC till Saturday._________________________________________If you aren't doing anything Saturday around DC, you should come to the Big Train Redskins Celebrity softball game in Bethesda.

134. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa said… I remember a time not so long ago Zim would have lain out and caught that little looper. Sigh. He was better at that than anybody I ever saw, in those days. ________________________________No doubt about it. He just looks off, uncomfortable, and a little doughy. I'm sure with the shoulder he couldn't do his normal off-season workouts either but at least offensively maybe tonight is the start of something.

135. NatsNut - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:05 AM

136. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Gonat, indeed. Sec 2 here was just asking why for the love of Doubleday Zim was still in this game. "Two words: Wally Pipp." I said. "After all these years, all baseball players know that name. There's a reason for that."

137. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Yeah, Zimm has as secure a job as anybody on the roster. Still, the culture is what it is.

138. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:10 AM

So JZnn threw three strikes and walked the guy on four pitches. I can relate.

139. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:10 AM

JZim getting squeezed. 3 of those pitches to Skipworth inside or touching the box. He earned those calls in my tainted opinion.

140. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:12 AM

I don't care if it's 22-3, I still want to see us play good baseball. Doesn't sound like we are at the moment.… because there's some kid in the stands who's seeing us play for the first time. Oh wait, my bad. There's nobody in the stands.

141. Candide - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Thanks, Gonat. Was wondering if my eyes were going crazy.

142. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Gonat, I'll take a Yeungling.

143. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Haha good one Sofa.

144. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Sec 3, I was talking about the batter before he walked on 4 pitches, 3 were on/in the box. The 4th one was fully in the box.

145. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:16 AM

So, is it Henry Time? Davey really, really needs to get Jordan a good seat for the rest of this game.

146. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Why don't they bring in Chad Tracy for RZ?

147. MicheleS - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Bryce needs to join the hit parade tonight

148. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:17 AM

He walked Hechevarria, no?

149. MicheleS - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:18 AM

And of course he doesn't.. sigh, maybe they can bat around in the 9th so he gets a chance

150. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:18 AM

151. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:19 AM

FP perfectly diagnosed the small flaw in Bryce's swing today.

152. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I think this is the furthest now that a Nats starter has gone this year.

153. MicheleS - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Sofa.. Henry pitched yesterday. He needs a day off (or three)

154. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Good to see JZ out there.

155. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:26 AM

MicheleS said… Sofa.. Henry pitched yesterday. He needs a day off (or three) April 15, 2013 9:22 PM _______________________________That is funny!

156. MicheleS - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Mark just tweeted the Soriano is warming in the pen. Bummer, kind of hoping that JZ gets a shot at the complete game.

157. MicheleS - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:35 AM

And FP just tweeted that JZ is back out for the 9th

158. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Soriano needs some work!

159. Candide - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:35 AM

As good as he's pitched tonight, JZimm's ERA is going up.

160. Candide - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Accurate throw from RZimm, but you compare his tosses to the bullets Desmond shoots…

161. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:36 AM

RZ! Wow *** 3 stars in my book on that play!

162. Scott Margenau - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Omg did zim throw overhand??!!

163. Candide - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Remain tucked, Sofa!

164. MicheleS - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:37 AM

WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!! JZ with a complete Game!

165. RickH - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Congrats, JZimm!!!

166. Gonat - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Candide, you are correct about the ERA. A bleeder by Pierre but this was looking no-hitterish for a while there!

167. Scott Margenau - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Jzim rox

168. Scott Margenau - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Candide, such a wordsmith! R u a copywriter?

169. Candide - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Copywriter? Me? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA…

170. Scott Margenau - Apr 16, 2013 at 2:45 AM

UnkyD I guess that answers your question about whether or not Tmo and Lom will off spark :-)

171. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 16, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Soriano needs some work!Candide, such a wordsmith! R u a copywriter?I'm a copywriter and we always need work. Copyeditor, too. Capybara, even, if it pays enough.

172. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 16, 2013 at 3:32 AM

Have I mentioned lately, WooooooHooooo (TM Michele)

173. natsfan1a - Apr 16, 2013 at 11:50 AM

hmmm…rally capybara? Nah.

174. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:20 PM

You can't wear a rally capybara inside out. I mean, you could, but only once.

175. natsfan1a - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:56 PM