Apr 16, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
By Steve Roney
Sizing up the week that was in the National League East, noting that while the standings haven't changed since last week, Atlanta continues to widen its lead — and possibly inspire a little fear in the rest of the division that this may be their year.
Atlanta Braves: 11-1
Atlanta, off to their best start since opening 13-0 in 1982, is starting to look truly scary at this point. Evan Gattis, stepping in for the injured Brian McCann at catcher, has also filled in for the DL'd Freddie Freeman at first base. He continues to mash regardless of his defensive position, and is second on the team with four home runs and boasts a .324 average. As dominant as the Braves have been — and did they ever look dominant in that three-game sweep of the Nats — two thirds of their outfield has yet to start hitting, as B.J. Upton and Jason Heyward continue to toil beneath the Mendoza line, with Heyward hitting a paltry .103. The rest of the East, and the whole of the National league, is dreading the day when those two inevitably find their groove.
Player of the Week: Gattis, C/1B: 4R, 3 HR, 9 RBI, .304 AVG
Read more »
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs