Apr 16, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
By Steve Roney
Sizing up the week that was in the National League East, noting that while the standings haven't changed since last week, Atlanta continues to widen its lead — and possibly inspire a little fear in the rest of the division that this may be their year.
Atlanta Braves: 11-1
Atlanta, off to their best start since opening 13-0 in 1982, is starting to look truly scary at this point. Evan Gattis, stepping in for the injured Brian McCann at catcher, has also filled in for the DL'd Freddie Freeman at first base. He continues to mash regardless of his defensive position, and is second on the team with four home runs and boasts a .324 average. As dominant as the Braves have been — and did they ever look dominant in that three-game sweep of the Nats — two thirds of their outfield has yet to start hitting, as B.J. Upton and Jason Heyward continue to toil beneath the Mendoza line, with Heyward hitting a paltry .103. The rest of the East, and the whole of the National league, is dreading the day when those two inevitably find their groove.
Player of the Week: Gattis, C/1B: 4R, 3 HR, 9 RBI, .304 AVG
Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- State of the Nats: Deal or no deal before the MLB trade deadline?
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week