Apr 16, 2013, 7:29 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats look to make it two in a row tonight at Marlins Park.
MIAMI — Dan Haren was better in his second start with the Nationals than he was in his first, though he still was far from what you would typically describe as "good." The right-hander gave up 10 hits in five innings against the White Sox, emerging with the win only because his teammates delivered at the plate.
Tonight, Haren gets an opportunity to again improve on his previous start. He'll have the advantage of facing a bad Marlins lineup that's still without slugger Giancarlo Stanton (shoulder), and he'll be pitching in a big ballpark that doesn't easily surrender homers. Whether that translates into a quality start remains to be seen.
Davey Johnson has a very different looking lineup card tonight. Bryce Harper and Denard Span are being given the night off, and Danny Espinosa remins out with a bruised right hand. Harper, if you haven't been paying attention, is 0-for-13 since homering against the Braves on Friday and had some really ugly swings last night. So Jayson Werth will lead off, Roger Bernadina will play center field and Tyler Moore will get a second straight start, this time in left field.
[UPDATE AT 5:30 P.M. — Turns out both Harper and Span are dealing with flu-like symptoms. They're scheduled to see a doctor at 6 p.m. But with those two and Espinosa out, Davey Johnson is going with a 2-man bench tonight: Chad Tracy and Jhonatan Solano. He went around asking if any relievers could play the outfield in an emergency. The consensus was that Craig Stammen would be the best choice.]
Updates to come…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MIAMI MARLINS
Where: Marlins Park
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), XM 187
RF Jayson Werth
CF Roger Bernadina
3B Ryan Zimmerman
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats