Apr 16, 2013, 3:28 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Kurt Suzuki congratulates Jordan Zimmermann on his complete-game victory.
MIAMI — Davey Johnson walked up to Jordan Zimmermann in the dugout at the end of the eighth inning Monday night and had a simple question for his 26-year-old starter: “How do you feel?”
Zimmermann’s response to his manager was nearly as simple.
“I’m good to go,” he answered. “Let’s go get this one.”
It’s not often that Johnson lets one of his young starting pitchers take the mound for the ninth inning. Shoot, he rarely lets them come back out for the eighth. But the way Zimmermann was cruising against the Marlins — not to mention the seven-run lead the Nationals held at the time — convinced the 70-year-old skipper to turn old-school for one night and let his pitcher finish what he started.
And finish it he did, with a flourish. Zimmermann needed all of five pitches to retire the side in the ninth, sealing a 10-3 victory for the Nationals and sealing the first complete-game victory of his career.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)