Apr 16, 2013, 3:28 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Kurt Suzuki congratulates Jordan Zimmermann on his complete-game victory.
MIAMI — Davey Johnson walked up to Jordan Zimmermann in the dugout at the end of the eighth inning Monday night and had a simple question for his 26-year-old starter: “How do you feel?”
Zimmermann’s response to his manager was nearly as simple.
“I’m good to go,” he answered. “Let’s go get this one.”
It’s not often that Johnson lets one of his young starting pitchers take the mound for the ninth inning. Shoot, he rarely lets them come back out for the eighth. But the way Zimmermann was cruising against the Marlins — not to mention the seven-run lead the Nationals held at the time — convinced the 70-year-old skipper to turn old-school for one night and let his pitcher finish what he started.
And finish it he did, with a flourish. Zimmermann needed all of five pitches to retire the side in the ninth, sealing a 10-3 victory for the Nationals and sealing the first complete-game victory of his career.
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole