Apr 16, 2013, 1:38 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Jordan Zimmermann dominated the Marlins to improve to 3-0 this season.
Game in a nutshell: Honoring the victims of today's attack in Boston with a moment of silence before first pitch and honoring Jackie Robinson by having everybody in uniform wear No. 42 for the night, the Nationals and Marlins played tonight what in the grand scheme certainly felt like an insignificant ballgame. But play they did, and the Nationals used the opportunity to take out their frustrations from a weekend sweep at the hands of the Braves. They jumped all over Wade LeBlanc, scoring four runs in the first, two more in the third, two more in the fourth and another two in the fifth to open up a 10-0 lead. That was far more support than Jordan Zimmermann needed. The right-hander cruised early on and was given the opportunity by Davey Johnson to go the distance for the first time in his career. He wound up with his first complete-game victory in the big leagues, dispatching the Marlins on 103 pitches.
Hitting highlight: It hasn't been a banner couple of weeks for Ryan Zimmerman, who in addition to committing three errors in the field entered this game with a .220 batting average and zero homers.Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return