Apr 16, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Tyler Moore recorded two hits in a rare start last night.
MIAMI — Tyler Moore has been an accomplished hitter his entire baseball career, in high school, in college, in the minors and last season as a rookie with the Nationals.
So it may sound surprising to hear that Moore admittedly began to doubt himself when he opened this season 0-for-8 with four strikeouts. It's not surprising to hear that those doubts led to some bad habits at the plate.
"Yeah, I'm sure you press a little too much," he said. "Sometimes I feel like I take two swings on one pitch. You press and you want to get a hit so bad, and most times it doesn't work out. The more you get to calm down, the more you square it up."
Imagine Moore's relief last night. Presented with his first opportunity to start a game this year, he delivered a pair of early hits, including a double, and drove in three runs to help spark the Nationals to an early lead and eventually a 10-3 victory over theRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game