Apr 16, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Tyler Moore recorded two hits in a rare start last night.
MIAMI — Tyler Moore has been an accomplished hitter his entire baseball career, in high school, in college, in the minors and last season as a rookie with the Nationals.
So it may sound surprising to hear that Moore admittedly began to doubt himself when he opened this season 0-for-8 with four strikeouts. It's not surprising to hear that those doubts led to some bad habits at the plate.
"Yeah, I'm sure you press a little too much," he said. "Sometimes I feel like I take two swings on one pitch. You press and you want to get a hit so bad, and most times it doesn't work out. The more you get to calm down, the more you square it up."
Imagine Moore's relief last night. Presented with his first opportunity to start a game this year, he delivered a pair of early hits, including a double, and drove in three runs to help spark the Nationals to an early lead and eventually a 10-3 victory over theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper showing he can excel at 'the little things'
- Advice from teammates helps Gio get back on track vs. Phillies
- Anthony Rendon to take big step forward in rehab this week
- Strong Gio start secures another series win for Nats
- Nationals aim for another series win against Philly
- Still no answer for Strasburg's woes
- Strasburg rocked again during ugly 8-1 loss to Phillies
- Roark ready for Monday start in Chicago
- Strasburg tries to keep Nats rolling vs. Phillies
- Pitch, hit and run: Scherzer does it all in win