Game 15: Nats at Marlins

Apr 17, 2013, 7:43 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ross Detwiler starts the rubber game tonight at Marlins Park.

MIAMI — Is this a must-win game for the Nationals? Not really. There's no such thing as a must-win game on April 17. But let's just say a win tonight against the Marlins would be very good for the Nats' psyche heading into a weekend series in New York.

Ross Detwiler gets the start, looking to continue his stellar performances from his first two outings this year (and perhaps actually be rewarded with the win this time). Ricky Nolasco, whom the Nationals beat on Opening Day in D.C., makes his fourth start of the year for Miami.

The lineup hasn't been posted yet, but Davey Johnson was hoping to have both Bryce Harper and Denard Span back after each missed last night's game with flu-like symptoms. The chances of Danny Espinosa returning from a bruised right hand seemed less likely.

[UPDATE AT 5:15 P.M.] — Harper is back in the lineup, but Span and Espinosa remain out. Span said he's feeling much better today, but he's still recovering from a long night dealing with the flu. Espinosa, meanwhile, is "50/50" to play on Friday, according to Johnson.

Updates to come…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MIAMI MARLINS
Where: Marlins Park
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), XM 186
Weather: Indoors

RF Jayson Werth
2B Steve Lombardozzi
LF Bryce Harper

1. baseballswami - Apr 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Go Nats! Did I hear that the Braves lost the World Series today? I know a lot of folks are thinking first place – post season. I would be happy to see everyone play well. Because I really think if these guys play well, they will win more often than not.

2. Alphabet Soup Erik - Apr 17, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Ryan Zimmerman ranked #28 defensively amongst 3B according to Baseball Tonight. I knew he hasn't been good, but that is a long way to fall. From #2 in 2007-2010 to #28 in 2011-2013 in runs saved. Time for Rendon.

3. NatsFanSinceStart - Apr 17, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Alphabet: with all of his errors, I'm wondering about the two third baseman who could be worse!!

4. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 17, 2013 at 8:09 PM

What about offensively, Erik?

5. Alphabet Soup Erik - Apr 17, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Faraz-Baseball Tonight just did defense. Offensively, he is probably 6th-8th I would guess. Move him to 2B, where he played in HS much of the time, and he would be 2nd or 3rd best offensively. Depends on Rendon, but if Rendon is better than Espinosa, that has to be considered.

6. Dave - Apr 17, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Feeling good about tonight. Detwiler on the mound gives me non-waning confidence.

7. EmDash - Apr 17, 2013 at 8:40 PM

You can't really just put someone in a position they've never played professionally and haven't done in more than 10 years and get good defensive results at the major league level. Zimm to 1st might happen in a year or so – it's generally a less key defensive position – but to 2nd seems vanishingly unlikely.

8. baseballswami - Apr 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM

He is going to be fine!!!!!! He still gets to things that no one else does. The guy has been FOF and Mr. walk off for years- he is going through a bad time and some of the fans are ready to write him off? Mark my words, you will be eating yours in a few months. He is so well liked and respected by his peers that they will rally around him and pick him up. This actually might be the thing that pulls them together. Don't go bad mouthing Zim to Desi! Tough to deal with your demons in front of thousands of demanding , fickle fans.

9. Eric - Apr 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM

+10, swami!

10. A DC Wonk - Apr 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM

He is going to be fine!!!!!!What?! Two weeks doesn't predict the rest of the year?!?

11. Ben1029 - Apr 17, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Espinosa would be an interesting experiment at third base. He has a gun so he could make the throws

12. jeffwx - Apr 17, 2013 at 9:11 PM

These are the saddest of possible words…groundball to Ryan Zimmermanpicking up balls without even a wordgroundball to Ryan ZimmermanMaking the toss to firstbase from thirdground ball to Ryan ZimmermanSailing right over first and the birdground ball to Ryan Zimmerman

13. JD - Apr 17, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Swami,Well put ! I also object to the analysis blaming Zim for 2 or 3 loses. When Zim made the error on Saturday no one ordered Stras to throw a home run pitch to Gaddis and when he made an error yesterday no one insisted that Haren implode culminating with a hanging splitter to Hetchveria. There is also such a thing as picking your team mate up and our pitchers haven't been doing it this year.

14. Eric - Apr 17, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Hope Harper's truly feeling better.I'm bummed Span is still out…I've really come to love what that guy brings to the team.

15. baseballswami - Apr 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Eric- I would agree on Span. I usually take ages to warm up to new guys but I can see that he adds a lot to the team. I love he way he leads off in the very first at bat of the game . Sometimes the pitcher is frustrated by the time hen even gets to Werth- I hope they keep up that pressure early in the game. It seems to set a good tone for the game when they do that.

16. Section 222 - Apr 17, 2013 at 9:49 PM

JD, under that theory, even Friday night's loss can't be attributed to Zim. No one ordered the Nats to go down in order against Kimbrel in the 10th. Those guys failed to pick Zim up too. And of course, no one ordered Storen to allow a sharp grounder to Zim that he botched, or to walk Heyward to load the bases. If the ball had been hit to another fielder…. The permutations are endless. That's baseball.Baseball is a team game. We all get that. It's highly unusual for a single player to be solely responsible for any win or any loss. But on the sliding scale of relative responsibility, I think you have to give Zim a very big share on Friday and a pretty big share on Saturday. Last night, not so much.As for swami's certainty, which you apparently share, that Zim will get over this, of course I hope you are right. But we've been told for years that his throwing would improve — after the abdominal surgery in 2011, last year, after the shoulder surgery, this spring. I cringe whenever I hear people say "he'll be fine" or "I'm not worried about Zim." Four errors in five games has finally put this on the map of something definitely to worry about. We don't know what will happen. We can't know what will happen. I understand why the players would say things like that, and I respect them for supporting their teammate, but this situation is serious and I'm sure not going to predict, as opposed to hope for, a good outcome.

17. jeffwx - Apr 17, 2013 at 9:56 PM

One good sign…We have a replacement for Kristina Akra and her name is not Bob Carpenter!, (not that anyone can really fill her shoes, they should have paid her a Werth-while salary to keep her).And Tommy Milone is 3-0!

18. peric - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Rendon's ankles

19. JD - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Sec222, I agree with the statement that Zim has contributed greatly to 3 loses. I just don't agree that it's all on him; that's all. BTW I am not certain at all that 'he'll be fine"; no one can be.We don't even know if it's mental or physical. We just know that it's been going on for a long time and it's disconcerting. I think Zim should treat every play like it's a bang bang play and rush his throws. He always seems to make accurate throws under that scenario.

20. peric - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:08 PM

are not good at second base he's at third.

21. Doc - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Rendon at 2nd base—that's an accident ready to happen.It's his bat we want, and 3B is his position.

22. JaneB - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I hope Det is his lights out tall smiling self. ANd that The Kid is feeling hitterish tonight.GYFNG!

23. MicheleS - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:25 PM

GO DET! GYFNG!

24. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Doc, Rendon will have to start somewhere else and move to 3rd in 2015 is what I'm thinking.

25. baseballswami - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Look back at the late spring training posts. Zim was not throwing at all- I really thought he would not start the season. Then every day, suddenly, the distance is increasing, no pain. He did not play third, only hit, then suddenly he is playing third, but very, very late. He wanted to break camp, the docs cleared him, but he was not ready. His mechanics were totally screwed up from last season and he did not take the time to re- learn. We are seeing that happen right now, while he is in the lineup. Really, look back and see how very little throwing he did, or playing third. He basically came in cold, without much practice and re-training because he wants to be here for the team. You know this is killing him if you have followed this team since the beginning.

26. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:47 PM

What gives me joy? Baseball.Oh, and if you haven't seen that before, don't watch it.

27. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Swami, I think there's a lot to what you say there. If he's learning new mechanics, at this level, there are going to be rough patches, and consequences.

28. baseballswami - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Random info. Lombo had six hits in sixteen at bats. Three of them are doubles. Next– when Tyler Moore hits the ball, he crushes it and it goes a long way. In Miami there was some silly hang time on the balls he hit. They would have been in the river in Cincy. And those are back up players?

29. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Deep bench, swami. Anybody going to Duffy's for this one?

30. Dave - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:56 PM

31. Dave - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Wow. Julie Alexandria, the new MASN sideline reporter, is sure enough an enthusiastic Mets fan. I just followed her on Twitter and took a look at her timeline. It looked like our comment thread here on NI, except for the Mets. And I'm not talking about last week. I mean 18 hours ago–I.e., last night. So just how is this going to work?I do miss Kristina A., who never showed any real baseball-partisanship.

32. Candide - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:11 PM

First pitch coming up. It's Take Back the Blog Night. Scroll past the trolls. Remember the words of the immortal Leonard McCoy: "What the Klingon has said is unimportant, and we do not hear his words."

33. baseballswami - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Jayson- what ever happened to working the pitcher??

34. Gonat - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Tom Verducci just did a segment on Ryan Zimmerman with the help of Billy Ripken on the MLB Network.It was tough to watch. Over his career, 72% of all of his errors are throwing errors which is well above the averages in baseball history for 3rd baseman where throwing errors are just about 50%.By the way, this isn't anything new debating the issues of Ryan Zimmerman. It's been years now.

35. Gonat - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM

baseballswami said… Jayson- what ever happened to working the pitcher??______________________________That was supposed to be an ambush and instead was a 40 foot trickler.

36. Gonat - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Bryce is back on it!

37. Gonat - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Amanda Comak‏ @acomakRizzo on Zimmerman: "The #Nationals do not need a new 3B. We’ve got one of the best 3B in all of baseball.”_______________________________This is why you shouldn't expect Rendon called up as a 3B initially. Once LaRoche leaves, Rendon is your 3rd Baseman.

38. Gonat - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:26 PM

You just saw a Verlander/Strasburg K on Ruggiano. Detwiler ramped up that last pitch to a power sinker and blew Ruggiano away. I wish Det would mix in some changeups as it would just enhance his entire outing with some swing & miss.

39. Candide - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Det first inning: 13 pitches, 10 strikes

40. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:33 PM

that was out?

41. Candide - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Tough call. Ump's face seemed to be saying, "I hear ya, it was really close, but he looked safe to me."

42. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:35 PM

nats take lead on bernie's grounder.

43. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I think tag missed him by. swiping and the out side leg scored.Good at bats Shark and Sazuki.

44. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Marlins feed had a great shot showing the shortstop whiffing on the swipe tag.

45. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:38 PM

one more thanks to suzuki sac fly.

46. Gonat - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I think so NJiF

47. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Agree. If you look Marlins feed, it seems Desi might have been safe. That SB saved an out.

48. JaneB - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Go Bernie!

49. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:46 PM

50. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Then finally a curve to Olivo. Nice.

51. Gonat - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Detwiler appears to be missing his spots based on where Suzuki is setting up on these fastballs.

52. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:49 PM

We only get the Marlins feed here in Florida but I sync up with Charlie and Dave.Man do those guys make up stuff on pitch location.

53. Gonat - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:49 PM

20 pitch inning by Ross. Too many.

54. Gonat - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:51 PM

NatsJack, that's funny!

55. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:52 PM

John Lannan doing his best Bad John Lannan in Cincy down 4-0 with 1 out in the 2nd.

56. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:54 PM

One time last night they said "strike called on rhe outside corner" on a foul ball.

57. Scott Margenau - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Routine third to first…Nice. I'm jealous

58. NatsLady - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Lannan getting shelled.Pedro Gomez ‏@pedrogomezESPN 5mPhilly's Lannan has allowed hits to 7 of the first 11 @Reds. Pitches are up in the zone tonight.

59. Gonat - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM

John Lannan read all the Haren comparisons but seriously, Revere was playing Leake like a chump and he tripled over his head and cost him 2 runs and a longer inning. This is Cincy where everything flies longer!

60. Joe Seamhead - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Wow, I just dropped in to see what condition our condition was in. Looks good in here.Carry on, you all are doing a fine job!

61. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Leake is former SS, isn't he? so he used to be a solid hitter before he chose pitching full time.

62. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Agree on Revere…..he's been stinking it up in the field lately.On another note, Dave just correctly spelled "Rumplestiltskin."

63. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Lannan now in complete meltdown and approaching Haren's ERA

64. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:04 AM

what a pitch by RD!

65. Joe Seamhead - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM

6-0 Reds over Phills

66. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM

So when it finally dawns on everybody that Det is only throwing fastballs, hitters will hit.Seems to be working out so far. Maybe he's just saving something to show them the third time around?

67. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Faraz, I think you are right. He can hit! Revere has made some amazing catches but also had a costly error this week and just makes some poor reads also.

68. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Harper again throws behind the runner. No harm but the play is to 3rd.

69. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong–that was a breaking ball Polanco hit there.

70. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Lannan is out of the game after 1 2/3

71. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Sec3, it was a slider that Ross loves to throw in on the RH batters.

72. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Harper again throws behind the runner. No harm but the play is to 3rd.That's Harper's mission: subvert the dominant paradigm.

73. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Det started mixing in a curve at the end of the 2nd.Polanco has no power but he is a professional hitter.

74. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Slider? Really? Looked like it broke down and in, to me. His slider doesn't generally do that.

75. Exposremains - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I'd rather have Nolasco as the Nats 4th starter than you know who.

76. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:16 AM

getting little anxious ar the plate swinging at a lot of balls.

77. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Exposremains, I think the Nats would have to eat the salary AND throw in Danny Rosenbaum to get the Marlins to agree to that trade.

78. Exposremains - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Natsjack: what channel do you get the game in Orlando?

79. Exposremains - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:20 AM

well, that would be an easy trade they were willing to let Rosenbaum walk in the ruleV. of course, Haren money would have been more than enough. I just hope we see whatever the scouts saw in Haren to warrant that big contract. Seems like Angels knew better.

80. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Directv channel 655-1

81. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM

only problem with that inning 15 pitches to 3 batters. That. includes getting lead off bstter on first page.

82. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM

so none of desi throws have been in dirt I believe. that's good, right?

83. Exposremains - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:26 AM

good for you.. brighthouse is showing some junk

84. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:27 AM

at the current pace, it puts Det at 90 pitches and six innings. what's wrong with that?

85. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Leake singles. Outfield played him at normal depth that time.

86. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM

what an at bat by Suzuki.

87. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Zooti … Zook-zook!

88. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:33 AM

2 rbi at bats for Suzuki

89. David Proctor - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Suzuki may be one of Rizzo's most underrated moves as GM.

90. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:37 AM

They could offer brighthouse for free and double my $190/month Directv bill and I'd still take Directv.

91. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM

the number 8 batter for Marlins was really first bsd pitch squence of the game.

92. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:41 AM

David, when Oakland got Derek Norris it made Suzuki expendable and he was in a large part a salary dump.

93. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Indeed, MNF, Valaika really hit the [stuff] out of that fastball, didn't he?OOOOH, nice arm Desi!

94. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:42 AM

The Reds are thumping the Phoolies.

95. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:44 AM

He was safe.

96. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:44 AM

or was he out.

97. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:44 AM

He was out. Tough call.

98. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Ump changes his own call.

99. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM

the replay showed tagged on the helmet hand touch the plate. That. was not even a hard call.

100. Joe Seamhead - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Great throw by Jayson. Zook tagged him on the head. Poppycock!

101. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:46 AM

It took three slomo replays for us to see it, but Zuke got the helmet before the runner got the plate. Ump was in position, bang-bang play, not a horrible call, but he got it wrong.

102. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:47 AM

come on ump was going to call him out and he should have. anyways, RD gets out of it.

103. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:47 AM

104. Joe Seamhead - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Sofa, he was right on top of it, screwed it up. Sorry, I disagree, it was a horrible call.

105. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:50 AM

I don't agree, but either way, it's in the box score.Does Harper look a little pale to you? And he's still 3 for 3 … amazing.

106. Candide - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Harper must be feeling really sick. He looked like John Kruk chugging around first. Woulda been a triple if he'd been feeling okay.

107. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Nice job, LaRoche–get Harper in the dugout easy, so he can throw up and get back out there…

108. Joe Seamhead - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Nice BH for ALR!Harper hitting .358, but how about Suzuki? .348!

109. Scott Margenau - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Lol. Untucked! Good one.

110. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Crazy counterpoint, next time Zuk really needs to shove the helmet. I watched it again and saw no movement of the helmet or head coming forward. To be fair, you see the mitt behind the helmet and with depth perception you can't tell if he tagged him out.

111. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Have to like that Bryce goes 0-13 and comes in today feeling like $4!T and goes 3-3!

112. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Det coming on deck at 91 pitches. Davey not so sure about the pen? Or just feeling good about Detwiler?

113. Joe Seamhead - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Sola, you a funny guy. Go ahead and quit your day job! Curious how deep Johnson lets Det go.

114. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Running on Juan Pierre. LOve it

115. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Gonat, I think FP had it right–if you haven't been doing well, and then come out feeling sick, you can't think about yesterday–you're just trying to survive the game. Thinking can only hurt the ball club.Wow, Zuke is a single and a double shy of the cycle?

116. Candide - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Catcher with a triple. Don't see THAT every day.

117. Joe Seamhead - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Triple for Suzuki! Very cool!

118. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Now that it's a RBI situation, by the books, not a good move by Davey.

119. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Candide said… Catcher with a triple. Don't see THAT every day. April 17, 2013 9:11 PM _________________________________Rarely see triples in the leftfield corner.

120. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Thanks, Joe. As it happens, I'm looking for my day job.

121. Dave - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Zuki triple! Nice.

122. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Gonat said… Now that it's a RBI situation, by the books, not a good move by Davey. April 17, 2013 9:12 PM ______________________________________Told you.

123. Candide - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Gonat, FP owes you a drink!

124. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:14 AM

125. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Triple, from a catcher, hitting 8th, to left. I think there must be people reading this with better arms than Pierre.

126. Candide - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Not me.

127. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Candide said… Gonat, FP owes you a drink! April 17, 2013 9:13 PM ___________________________Yes he does!By the way, have to like Lombo batting 2nd!

128. Joe Seamhead - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:18 AM

129. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Joe Seamhead said… Gonat, Johnson trying to make up with Ross for past slights…He may not get a complete game, but he's going to get a chance to go eight. April 17, 2013 9:18 PM ____________________________I think Davey has handled the starters well but I didn't like the way he jumped up Stras 2 starts ago to 112 pitches.

130. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Gonat, FP owes you a drink! Unfortunately, I don't think FP is going to put that on the NIDO spreadsheet

131. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Zim has been a K sucker for that slider thrown to the black as Zim can't reach it. 2 more K's tonight for Zim.

132. Exposremains - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:24 AM

NatsjackI usually use mlb.tv but it's blacked out and there's no other possible legal way to watch the game. I'm surprised that Direct TV doesn't black out the game as well. This is already the 3rd game I can't watch this year even tough I pay for MLb.tv and brighthouse so I found an "other" way to watch it.

133. Dave - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Good link there, Untucked One. That's a helpful thing for folks to do when talking about NIDO. (I don't have it bookmarked on all my school's computers, for example.)

134. Joe Seamhead - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:25 AM

I understood Davey's madness both times with pulling Det earlier, Gonat, but they both want Det to get the Curly W tonight.

135. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Sec3, please add FP, thanks!

136. Dave - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Who's Joe Mahoney? Carp just said his name like he's somebody. (And then explained that he's, you know, just a guy.)

137. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Gonat, I could do that, but the rule is one has to enter drinks owed for oneself. FP would have to put that one in. He's got my twitter handle, if he wants me to do it.

138. Avar - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:28 AM

In top of 7th, I though Webb was failing to come set about half the time. Should have been balk. Anyone else see that?

139. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Det needs a quick inning. His last outing was 90 pitches. For a stamina guy, probably want to move him up gradually.His career high before tonight was 100 pitches on May 25,2012.

140. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Dang. That's a Ponce error. These guys need a "rain delay."

141. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Okay, Sec3, please let FP know! ;_)

142. Candide - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:33 AM

See? An infield error doesn't mean the pitcher's supposed to melt down.

143. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:34 AM

True Candide.Anyways Desi baffles me sometimes. He was having such a great day in the field and then he goes and commit that error.

144. Exposremains - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Some people on tweeter made fun of Rick Sutcliffe's comment on ESPN during spring training on how he thought Detwiler could be the win leader for the Nats. After 3 turns, he's been the best and should be 3-0 by the end of the night. At this point, he looks more composed and confident than Gio and even Strasburg.

145. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:35 AM

I wont give the ump a break he was going to call him out. Tag looked legit.Why the change. If you have to change, you are daying he wast sure in the first place. More important Why was Det pulled with 90 pitches last time and allowed to stay after 91 this time?

146. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:37 AM

At least Desmond's error no harm this time.

147. Dave - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Ross is Boss. Thanks for the nickname, FP.

148. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:38 AM

It's not mutually exclusive, Faraz. It's not that unusual to make only one error.Avar, I didn't see that, but I went back and looked at Harper's and Zim's ABs, and there was one, the 0-2 pitch Zim fouled down the line, that might have been a little quick.

149. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:41 AM

MNF, I do wonder why he changed the call. Not that he'd tell, but if I were Davey in that case, I'd have asked. It's a good question. But either way, it's in the books.

150. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:43 AM

I hope he is OK.

151. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:47 AM

OK, cherry blossoms are about done anyway. For Ross, my new avatar.

152. MicheleS - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Like the new AVI Untucked.Also, could Zimmy's hammy be barking?

153. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:51 AM

"Chad Tracy is in at third base, replacing Ryan Zimmerman. Not sure what's going on there. Have to wonder if Zim's hamstring is acting up again."Quit while he's ahead. Give the Goon an inning as a payback for the advice earlier today.

154. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Oh, and don't get too used to "Untucked." That's the part of the meme that changes.

155. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Thanks, Michele, but it's not an AVI, just a jpg.

156. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Bryce gets a RBI single! Hustle pays off!!!!

157. Joe Seamhead - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:59 AM

How much fun is it watching this Harper kid? Wow!

158. NatsLady - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:59 AM

I like it. Adding on. I don't care how well Det is pitching, ADD ON.

159. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Gonat, thanks for the link. I don't think he's saying anything surprising. They say the shoulder is healthy, but I wonder, if that's so, if the strength is back.Am I the only one who hates this obnoxious tequila guy in the suit?

160. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 18, 2013 at 2:01 AM

WOW that kid is sick. He needs some days off.

161. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 2:01 AM

OK, tucking it in here, boss!

162. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Wait, so now BOTH our catchers have games with a homer and a triple??

163. Scott Margenau - Apr 18, 2013 at 2:04 AM

The Det, Harp, Lombo, Zuki show!!!

164. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Untuck!!!

165. David Proctor - Apr 18, 2013 at 2:05 AM

First game all season that Sorinao has had his good slider going. Makes a huge difference.

166. MicheleS - Apr 18, 2013 at 2:05 AM

WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!.. Nice win boys

167. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 18, 2013 at 2:06 AM

nice win.

168. Candide - Apr 18, 2013 at 2:06 AM

A refreshing absence of trolls tonight.Ladies and gentlemen, it's been a pleasure.Good night.

169. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Untucked.

170. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 2:06 AM

FP with "untuckage" and Det with his 1st win—finally!!!!

171. Joe Seamhead - Apr 18, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Does Soriano have notes in his hat, or magic stones? He's always looking into it when he starts an inning.You're up MicheleS!

172. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Instant post.

173. Joe Seamhead - Apr 18, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Oops, I might owe you, Michele!

174. ehay2k - Apr 18, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Not too long ago, the Nats would lose to inferior teams. Natslady and I have a strong aversion the the fish because of it. Not tonight. Not this series. Let's see how the Barves deal with adversity. Personally, I prefer Zimm's to Up tons.

175. peric - Apr 18, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Lannan is out of the game after 1 2/3He'll be pitching against the Chiefs and perhaps Rendon soon enough.

176. Scott Margenau - Apr 18, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Just read whole game thread…what a great read.