Apr 17, 2013, 1:55 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Dan Haren was roughed up for seven runs (three earned) in 4 1/3 innings.
Game in a nutshell: One night after demolishing the Marlins to erase the bad memories of their weekend sweep against the Braves, the Nationals went back out and laid an egg. Ryan Zimmerman committed another costly error, and that opened the floodgates, with Dan Haren taking the brunt of the punishment. The veteran right-hander was rocked for seven runs (only three earned) in 4 1/3 innings, putting his team in a 7-0 hole. The Nationals lineup, playing without Bryce Harper and Denard Span (flu) and Danny Espinosa (hand), put up little fight against right-hander Alex Sanabia, failing to score until the sixth. By night's end, they had suffered their fourth loss in five games, with new questions raised about both Haren and Zimmerman.
Pitching lowlight: Things started off swimmingly for Haren. He retired 10 of the first 11 batters he faced, keeping the ball down in the zone and inducing a bunch of grounders. But he imploded after the Zimmerman error, allowing seven of the next 10 batters toRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Zimmermann, Gio pitch in Nats split-squad games
- Wainwright wants Bryce Harper to take it easy on him (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Fernandez face off as Marlins host Nats
- Nats owner Mark Lerner on the Wizards’ broadcast (VIDEO)
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring
- Harper, Detwiler lead Nationals against Mets