Apr 17, 2013, 1:55 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Dan Haren was roughed up for seven runs (three earned) in 4 1/3 innings.
Game in a nutshell: One night after demolishing the Marlins to erase the bad memories of their weekend sweep against the Braves, the Nationals went back out and laid an egg. Ryan Zimmerman committed another costly error, and that opened the floodgates, with Dan Haren taking the brunt of the punishment. The veteran right-hander was rocked for seven runs (only three earned) in 4 1/3 innings, putting his team in a 7-0 hole. The Nationals lineup, playing without Bryce Harper and Denard Span (flu) and Danny Espinosa (hand), put up little fight against right-hander Alex Sanabia, failing to score until the sixth. By night's end, they had suffered their fourth loss in five games, with new questions raised about both Haren and Zimmerman.
Pitching lowlight: Things started off swimmingly for Haren. He retired 10 of the first 11 batters he faced, keeping the ball down in the zone and inducing a bunch of grounders. But he imploded after the Zimmerman error, allowing seven of the next 10 batters toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?