Apr 17, 2013, 1:55 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Dan Haren was roughed up for seven runs (three earned) in 4 1/3 innings.
Game in a nutshell: One night after demolishing the Marlins to erase the bad memories of their weekend sweep against the Braves, the Nationals went back out and laid an egg. Ryan Zimmerman committed another costly error, and that opened the floodgates, with Dan Haren taking the brunt of the punishment. The veteran right-hander was rocked for seven runs (only three earned) in 4 1/3 innings, putting his team in a 7-0 hole. The Nationals lineup, playing without Bryce Harper and Denard Span (flu) and Danny Espinosa (hand), put up little fight against right-hander Alex Sanabia, failing to score until the sixth. By night's end, they had suffered their fourth loss in five games, with new questions raised about both Haren and Zimmerman.
Pitching lowlight: Things started off swimmingly for Haren. He retired 10 of the first 11 batters he faced, keeping the ball down in the zone and inducing a bunch of grounders. But he imploded after the Zimmerman error, allowing seven of the next 10 batters toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Friday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
Through Friday's games
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats rolling and about to become complete
- Fister, Nats do enough right to get by Marlins
- Zimmerman rejoining Nats, likely to play Saturday
- Fister seeks win No. 15 tonight in Miami
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- MLB Power Rankings: Tigers righting the ship