Apr 17, 2013, 1:55 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Dan Haren was roughed up for seven runs (three earned) in 4 1/3 innings.
Game in a nutshell: One night after demolishing the Marlins to erase the bad memories of their weekend sweep against the Braves, the Nationals went back out and laid an egg. Ryan Zimmerman committed another costly error, and that opened the floodgates, with Dan Haren taking the brunt of the punishment. The veteran right-hander was rocked for seven runs (only three earned) in 4 1/3 innings, putting his team in a 7-0 hole. The Nationals lineup, playing without Bryce Harper and Denard Span (flu) and Danny Espinosa (hand), put up little fight against right-hander Alex Sanabia, failing to score until the sixth. By night's end, they had suffered their fourth loss in five games, with new questions raised about both Haren and Zimmerman.
Pitching lowlight: Things started off swimmingly for Haren. He retired 10 of the first 11 batters he faced, keeping the ball down in the zone and inducing a bunch of grounders. But he imploded after the Zimmerman error, allowing seven of the next 10 batters toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win