Apr 17, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
Matt Skole saw time at first base with the Nationals this spring.
MIAMI — Matt Skole, the Nationals’ minor-league position player of the year in 2012, had Tommy John surgery today to repair a torn ligament in his left elbow, a freak injury that will sideline the first baseman for most of this season.
General manager Mike Rizzo said Skole will likely need four months to make a full recovery, the timetable much shorter than most players who suffer a torn UCL both because the 23-year-old is a position player and the injury occurred to his non-throwing elbow.
Skole hurt himself while in the field April 5 at Class AA Harrisburg, in only his second game of the season. Reaching to tag an opposing player, his left arm suffered the brunt of a collision.
“You’re reaching into the runner, and boom, you feel it,” Rizzo said.
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole