Apr 17, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
Matt Skole saw time at first base with the Nationals this spring.
MIAMI — Matt Skole, the Nationals’ minor-league position player of the year in 2012, had Tommy John surgery today to repair a torn ligament in his left elbow, a freak injury that will sideline the first baseman for most of this season.
General manager Mike Rizzo said Skole will likely need four months to make a full recovery, the timetable much shorter than most players who suffer a torn UCL both because the 23-year-old is a position player and the injury occurred to his non-throwing elbow.
Skole hurt himself while in the field April 5 at Class AA Harrisburg, in only his second game of the season. Reaching to tag an opposing player, his left arm suffered the brunt of a collision.
“You’re reaching into the runner, and boom, you feel it,” Rizzo said.
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs