Apr 17, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Ryan Zimmerman throws wide last night for his fourth error of the year.
MIAMI — Ryan Zimmerman has more range than perhaps any third baseman in baseball. He makes off-balance, acrobatic throws across the diamond look simple. He owns one Gold Glove Award (2009) and played well enough to deserve another one the following year.
But there's no hiding the fact the Nationals' veteran infielder is battling a serious mental hurdle right now, one affecting his ability to make routine throws with the kind of frequency required of a big-league third baseman.
Zimmerman's fourth-inning error during last night's 8-2 loss to the Marlins was merely the latest, costly example. He's now been charged with four throwing errors over his last five games. And that doesn't include a number of routine throws that were not on target but were close enough for first baseman Adam LaRoche to snag without taking his foot off the bag.
And for the first time last night, Zimmerman publicly acknowledged the mental challenge he's facing, insisting there's nothing physically preventing him from making those throws, most notably hisRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Friday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Friday's games
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman's back as Nationals face Marlins
- The Baseball Show: Are Nats favorites in National League? (VIDEO)
- Nats rolling and about to become complete
- Fister, Nats do enough right to get by Marlins
- Zimmerman rejoining Nats, likely to play Saturday
- Fister seeks win No. 15 tonight in Miami
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?