Apr 18, 2013, 2:05 AM EDT
Kurt Suzuki and Ross Detwiler react to Greg Gibson's missed call at the plate.
Game in a nutshell: After an ugly performance last night, the Nationals got back on track with a near-flawlessly played game in all facets. Ross Detwiler pitched brilliantly, pounding the strike zone and allowing just one run over seven innings to earn his first win of the season. Bryce Harper, back in the lineup but still battling flu-like symptoms, went 4-for-5 with a double and an RBI, infield single. Kurt Suzuki homered, tripled and drove in another run on a sacrifice fly. Rafael Soriano, making his first appearance in six days, pitched a scoreless ninth. Ryan Zimmerman even made two picture-perfect throws on the only two grounders hit to him in the game (though he was mysteriously taken out in favor of Chad Tracy in the eighth inning). The Nationals may still have a few issues, but they're feeling a lot better about themselves after taking two of three in Miami, heading up to New York for the weekend with a 9-6 record overall.
Hitting highlight: The Nationals obviously were upset to lose Wilson Ramos to a hamstring injury, but they also knew they had more than a capable replacement in Suzuki. And the veteranRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win