Nats Minor League Report-4/18

Apr 18, 2013, 4:55 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today

Syracuse Chiefs – 6-6 (4th in Intl. League North)
Offensive Player of the Week
First baseman Chris Marrero has come on strong as of late with a home run, three RBI, and three walks over the last week. He ranks second on the Chiefs through two weeks in homers (2), RBI (9), and walks (5). After a disappointing 2012, Marrero looks back to his usual self as before last season he was good for 15+ homers and a solid average.
Pitcher of the Week
Returned from the Rockies via the Rule 5 Draft, lefty Danny Rosenbaum may just be more comfortable as a member of the Nats’ organization. He has picked up right where he left off as a Nats prospect with two strong starts for the Chiefs. Through his first two games, Rosenbaum has allowed just one earned run in 11 innings pitched. He was an excellent minor league pitcher at the Nats’ lower level teams and could some day make an impact on the major league club.
Notes
·       Eury Perez was sent to the disabled list with a sprained wrist he injured diving for a pop-up on April 13
·       J.C. Romero has yet to give up a run through five relief appearances. Catcher Jhonatan Solano said he is pitching very well and is a standout of the Chiefs’ staff.
·       After beginning the year on a tear, Micah Owings is hitless in his last four games and has more strikeouts (7) than hits (5) in his last eight

1. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Does this mean we have to lay off the Cutter Dykstra references?

2. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Sec3, it's High A and he's filler. Cutter Dykstra is hitting better than a case of sunflower seeds.

3. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:12 PM

and for those of you who clickSpan taking the lead

4. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Ghost, I'm just saying. He's having a good week, maybe he's earned some respect.

5. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:13 PM

6. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Matt Cain has given up 7 in just 3 innings.

7. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:17 PM

8. baseballswami - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Ghost- seems like a lot of that going around so far- it's like a nasty virus. I really hope Stras turns in a dominant performance soon and Gio shortly thereafter.

9. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:21 PM

because it's tough batting .385 in High School.That's cold.

10. baseballswami - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Just watched a little replay from last night. Bryce's skin was not a natural color. Surprised he did not yak on the field or pass out.

11. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Swami, yep Kershaw was bashed last night.Talking about bashing , what's Peric going to say about that Span article?

12. baseballswami - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Ghost- I missed all baseball news for the last day or so, did not know Kershaw got shelled. I thought the prevailing wisdom was that pitching is ahead of hitting in April. Lannan got shelled, too, speaking of aces, (!), but he got put on the DL.

13. NatsLady - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Yes, Ghost, there is no justice from the baseball gods, because Milwaukee is winning 7-1 with Gallardo pitching (DUI), and Gallardo hit a 2-run dinger.

14. NatsLady - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I don't know if 5 runs in 5 innings is "getting shelled" but that is what the Red Sox did to Justin Masterson. The start before that Masterson had a CG shutout.

15. NatsLady - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Barry Svrluga was negative about Gio on Mr. Tony this morning. Said he concludes Gio may not be a "big game" pitcher, and cited examples of (1) postseason; (2) game vs. Atlanta last year that might have allowed them to get back in the race; and (3) game on Sunday which would have avoided the sweep. I think that's pretty harsh. I have in mind the complete game Gio pitched when the bullpen was burnt out.

16. Tcostant - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Faraz Shaikh said… Question for knowledgeable folks: who has the smoothest swing in the game right now? Answer: It's Kemp for me.Ghost Of Steve M. said… Sec3, absolutely Cutter has earned it because it's tough batting .385 in High School. He's just a little older than his competition and a long shot if he makes it to AA but I never say never. Answer: Shawon Dunston over .700 his senior year in high school; I remember that when he was draft by the Cubs and looked it up in was actually .790 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawon_Dunston)

17. baseballswami - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Well it's definitely not a good thing, NL. Another random observation. We scored in five innings last night. Seems like last season we would score in one , maybe two and this year we are spreading it out more over the innings. I have no idea if it means anything at all but it sure is fun to watch

18. peric - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Still no live for Kobernus who still is hitting well over .400. Chase loses me with that glaring omission. I stop readiing.

19. Section 222 - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I missed the back and forth about Det's pitches this morning. Did folks who took a look at PitchTrack like sites notice a breaking pitch in the mid to high 80s, which is what you'd expect from a slider, as opposed to his low 80's curveball, which doesn't have a big break like Gio's? My impression is that his repertoire is a 4 seam FB, a 2-seam FB (sometimes called his sinker) and a curveball. Everyone was agog about his pitch selection yesterday, but did any of the beat writers or other post game interviewers ask him about it?

20. Tcostant - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I was just reading NatsLady's blog and she referred to Yu Darvish who I really, really, really wanted the Nats to make a run at at the time of posting. As I detailed at the time, I saw ever game of the 2009 World Baseball Classic in San Deigo and he was by far the most impressive pitcher there (better than Dice K [don't forget how good he was then] & Aroldis Chapman].Considering the amount we spent on Jackson and Harden the last two year, can you image if this guy was in our rotation?JUst dreaming I guess…

21. Theophilus T. S. - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Svrluga may be onto something. Gonzalez at the moment is not the Nats No. 2 starter, or close to it. Honors at the moment go to Strasburg (on the basis of reputation; we'll see what happens Friday), Detwiler and Zimmermann first. Sometimes Gonzalez looks about as focused as Curious George.

22. baseballswami - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:56 PM

222- maybe they were in a hurry to get out of town, but I did not hear anything from Det- just speculation from others, who were making it sound like he was throwing only one kind of pitch.. As for Gio– he can be erratic and emotional , but you would think Suzuki could handle him.

23. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:02 PM

you know you guys are talking about the same pitcher who almost won cy young last season.

24. phil dunton - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:16 PM

No brainer…bring up JC Romero and DFA Henry. Let Henry torture some other team. He has had more than enough chances here.

25. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:17 PM

222 – Detwilers fastballs are 2 different pitches as his 2-seamer has great sink and his 4-seamer has late life. He threw no changeups last night but threw 7 pitches identified as a slower slider. I called it a slurve which is the same grip just a forearm and wrist angle between the 2 pitches. Det also threw several 95 mph power sinkers that was his K pitch of choice last night.

26. Section 222 - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Agree Faraz. Plus he came up big in the WBC. I think Svruluga is jumping the gun on throwing in the towel on Gio. (Not to mix metaphors or anything.)

27. NatsLady - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Here is a site that names the MVP for each day. Guess who the leader is.MVP of the dayhttp://baseballcontinuum.com/2013/04/18/mvp-of-yesterday-april-17-2013-bryce-harper/

28. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Both JZim and Gio miss the Cardinals. That's a good thing.

29. Rabbit34 - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:20 PM

All the speculation about anything and everything won't have anything to do with the result of the next game. Score more runs!! (than the other guy)

30. sjm308 - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Can someone who knows a lot more than I do about pitching explain the importance, after 3 weeks of the season, to number our starters? I do understand that when the playoffs start our number one will go against their number one but we are now at a point where to me, it really doesn't matter who our # 1-2-3-4-or 5 guy is. I just want them to go out and throw well. Det just pitched against the Marlins "#1" and I think he did ok. I am getting tired of hearing that Haren is not our number 4 and now I read that Gio is not our number 2. Who cares? They are part of our 5 man rotation and it is not going to get switched around because one guy is pitching better than another. OK, rant overGo Nats!!

31. sjm308 - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Rabbit – it has been said (I think it was Earl Weaver) that your momentum is only as good as that days starting pitcher. I am paraphrasing but you are correct with your thought, Hold the other team down and score one more run then they do and things will be just fine.

32. Section 222 - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Yes Ghost, that's exactly what I said (or at least meant) about his two different fastballs. My question is why you call that third pitch a slider or slurve, rather than a curve? The Wash Post's At Bat of the Day has him throwing just three identified pitches: 67 sinkers (51 for strikes!), 31 FBs (20 for strikes), 7 curveballs (5 for strikes) and 2 "unknown" pitches. The one curveball they note in the chart of the At Bat of the Game was 80 mph. That's not the speed of a slider or slider like pitch coming from a guy who throw FBs at 95. Or are you saying that the pitch had slider like movement, but curveball like speed (hence slurve). The ones I saw bent like curves rather than darting away like sliders. I'm just trying to understand what this new pitch is and when he threw it.

33. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:28 PM

sjm, as of today I see 4 #1's and a #6. Ask me again next week.

34. Section 222 - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Here's the WP link on Det's pitch selection.

35. sjm308 - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Thanks Ghost! I am with you on that!

36. Section 222 - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:32 PM

But to answer your question sjm, you are absolutely right, there is no importance whatsoever to the designation. Last year after the ASG, Davey started out with our #3 JZnn. To call Haren our #4 not #5 is a silly insult. He's going to pitch every five days until they pull the plug, that's the important thing.

37. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:33 PM

222, MLB At-Bat as well as Pitch F/X and FP and Bob were calling it a slider. According to official Pitch F/X, Det had never thrown a slider before last night.

38. sjm308 - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I do see, with wishful thinking, that Davey might have to make some adjustments both at the all-star break, and again (hopefully) going into the playoffs. Then again, he might just go right-left-right-left in Oct.Way too early for that right now. We have to discuss Danny vs Lombo – Zimms throwing Dets pitch selection and many other items of import.

39. NatsLady - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Heyman on Nolasco's declining value, including scout's assessment of last night's performance. It's a little weird not to feel afraid of him and the Fish any more. Not saying take it for granted but after all those years….Nolascohttp://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/22097502/marlins-highpriced-pitcher-nolasco-not-wowing-em-as-a-trade-chip

40. sjm308 - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Sec 222 – since I am rarely right at my house I appreciate that. Of course I rarely discuss baseball with my "spousal equivalent" who can't seem to understand why Zimm is the Face of the Franchise when Harper and Strasburg get all the publicity. I keep trying but she is not buying it.

41. Section 222 - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:40 PM

And another thing, the pitching order won't even matter in the playoffs unless we clinch early enough for Davey to line up Stras, Gio, JZnn etc. If the race is close down to the wire, Det may end up starting game #1. Right now, that seems like the more likely scenario.I'm looking at the schedule and May 15 looks like a pretty good bellweather date. By late that night, the Nats will have played 25 games in 27 days. Of those 25 games, 16 will have been against the Cardinals (3 at home), Reds (4 at home), Braves (4 away), Dodgers (3 away) and Tigers (2 at home). If we're still hanging close to the Braves at that point, I'd call our chances of winning the NL East pretty good. If they've opened up a sizeable lead by then (8-10 games), we're in some trouble.

42. Section 222 - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Ghost, did you notice or can you point to a site that shows how fast those (very few) pitches were? Because, again, I haven't seen a power pitcher who throws a 80 mph slider. Aren't sliders most effective when they are closer to your fastball velocity?

43. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Can someone link for me Pitch F/X for National Det as I'm traveling.

44. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Ghost/222 – Here you go. He struck out Olivo on a 78 slider according to Ray Knight in the post-game show.http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?month=4&day=17&year=2013&game=gid_2013_04_17_wasmlb_miamlb_1%2F&pitchSel=446321&prevGame=gid_2013_04_17_wasmlb_miamlb_1%2F&prevDate=417

45. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Thanks Gonat!

46. A DC Wonk - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… Both JZim and Gio miss the Cardinals. That's a good thing.???

47. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:11 PM

48. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… Wonk, JZim has a history of getting bombed by StL and the Cardinals badmouthed Gio after Game 5 with the "blood in the water" comments. Just better they don't pitch this time around. April 18, 2013 4:11 PM _________________________________Haren gets Monday vs Cardinals. Get the Maalox and Bourbon ready!

49. Mark Zuckerman - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:14 PM

For everyone asking about Detwiler's mysterious breaking ball…According to Fangraphs, he threw curveballs from 2007-11, but then has thrown sliders since last season (12.6% in 2012, 6.1% in 2013).I won't be at this weekend's series in New York, but I'll ask Ross about it next week when the team gets back to D.C.

50. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:17 PM

http://www.masnsports.com/index_medialounge.php?show_id=1691924&p=In case you missed it, here's the video with Detilwer talking about over-throwing his 2-seam which I talked about during the early innings on the in-game thread.I think the reason none of the media had this interview is that Bob Carpenter did a 1-on-1. Good stuff!

51. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Mark, thanks much on that. It's very cool. Also check out that video link I just put up. That's interesting on Fangraphs because Brooks Pitch F/X disagrees and never had him throwing a slider. I can't wait to hear what Ross has to say.I think SteveM is probably right. It's just a different wrist/forearm angle that is more slurvey. Also a good point that the grip is the same and is just the angle the pitcher uses but I can't wait to see what Ross calls it. He certainly has changed the pitch since mid last year.

52. Mark Zuckerman - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:23 PM

53. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Mark, this is why you're the best. I miss your old "ask the player" when you started NI!

54. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Mark Zuckerman said… Gonat: Actually, that clip was from Detwiler's full group interview after the game. It looks like they only showed the two questions from Bob, but it continued for several minutes after with questions from the rest of us. April 18, 2013 4:23 PM ______________________________Is that right. It was quiet. I guess MASN edited up to look like Bob had a 1-on-1. I tried to quote that line by Ross.I liked how he was critical of his own outing as that has been the rub on him is over-cooking his sinker into a stinker but as he got going he was deadly. He ended the game with 14.5% of his pitches were swing & miss. He had a lot of 2 strike counts and got that pitch count up in the 2nd by not being able to put away the batters quicker.

55. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Wow, Jeter out until after the All Star break. I wonder if he will be voted in ;)

56. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Mark, small comment on the MiLB Report by Chase, he needs to put Hagerstown as Low A below Potomac instead of before it.

57. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Glad to see both Taylor Jordan and Robbie Ray are making the improvements that I expected. Both could be in Harrisburg before the year is out provided the improvement continues.

58. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 18, 2013 at 9:12 PM

NatsJack,.who's your sleeper pick for MiLB guys?Also, next reliever in: Abad or Romero or Garcia?

59. Section 222 - Apr 18, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Thanks all. What Ray Knight calls a pitch means something, but it's certainly not definitive. Last night, Ray was saying he's never seen anyone ever throw so many fastballs so effectively as if he was basically throwing one pitch all night long. It seems pretty clear that he's throwing 2 different pitches — the 2 seamer and the 4 seamer have very different looks. I'll look forward to hearing Mark's report on what Detwiler has to say about the mystery third pitch, or whether there are actually two different off speed pitches that he's using. The way he's pitching a whole lot of people are going to be analyzing what he's doing.

60. John C. - Apr 18, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Oof. Not a good day for the Syracuse hurlers. Chiefs lose 27-9, giving up 29 hits (the most runs and hits in at least 40 years). Tanner Roark started the misery by allowing five runs in the first. Thanks to a Marrero HR the Chiefs got it to 5-4, but after that, le deluge.

61. NatsLady - Apr 18, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Mets bullpen imploding. Three relievers gave up 6 runs after two out.

62. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 9:52 PM

NatsLady, hopefully they continue to tire, I was hoping for extra innings! Most likely Matt Harvey is already in his apartment in NY resting for tomorrow.

63. NatsLady - Apr 18, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Yes, they mentioned that Harvery already flew to NY.

64. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM

222, if Detwiler can overpower the Cardinals on Tuesday you can best believe National Det will start getting national pub!Now that we have Mark on the breaker mystery we will know soon enough what Det is cooking!

65. MicheleS - Apr 18, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Wow, you weren't kidding about the Mets imploding. It's 11-3 right now.

66. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 9:59 PM

NatsLady, thanks. That's SOP for most younger starters to send them ahead. They aren't used to flying commercial flights after the 1st Class treatment on the charters!

67. baseballswami - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Here is what I want- and I am so sure that the team reads this blog:) Span goes up there and works over the pitcher until he has thrown every pitch he can think of, then he walks. Werth comes up and fouls off about ten and gets a hit. Span steals third. Bryce comes up and, well, you know…. If they walk him to get to Zim, he will punish them. That's my fantasy scenario and it ends with an early appearance by the Mets bullpen. I just love it when the first 4 guys wreak havoc at the beginning of a game.

68. natsfan1a - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM

On the other hand, one of the Nats hurlers had himself quite a night at the dish. Er, that didn't come out right. Get well soon, Bryce. ;-)Not a good day for the Syracuse hurlers.

69. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:36 PM

It's so nice after a win coupled with an off-day that there's an abundance of positivity!

70. SonnyG10 - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Good one, 1A

71. b29d68ba-a878-11e2-8215-000bcdcb5194 - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Anyone besides me worry that if what Harper had was actually the flu (vs. food poisoning) that he might give it to the rest of the team? (Not everyone would go 4-for-5: most human beings would go home when they felt like that, not to the ballpark, and definitely not to play). ArVAFan

72. NatsLady - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM

M's beat Verlander (2-0) but Morse went 0-4. I wonder if his hand is still hurting.

73. baseballswami - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Anyone else feeling a little bit at loose ends right about now? I could watch the Caps or the MLB game, I guess. Sigh.

74. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I'm looking forward to watching the two phenoms go at it in Cincy with the Singrani against Fernandez..

75. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Verlander got kind of outpitched again and loses 2-0 to Seattle. As Rabbit said earlier you win by scoring more than the other team. Verlander struck out 12 and Seattle small-balled him to victory!

76. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:46 PM

And I guess it's "Cingrani".

77. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM

NatsJack, Wainwright and Hamels tonight!

78. baseballswami - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I think MLB has STL and the Fillies. Colbert. Vs Wainwright . We get to see either the Cards or the Phils lose. I think that's a win/ win for us, especially if they go about 15 innings.

79. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Baseballswami, if Mark unspams me, I write that 5 minutes ago!

80. baseballswami - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Sure, ghost, sure…..

81. baseballswami - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I surely do believe you because I just responded to your post and it 's gone already!!!

82. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Baseballswami, if Mark unspams me, I wrote the same before you. Send up a drink for me!

83. baseballswami - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Ghosts posts are disappearing!! Ghosts posts — written by Dr. Seuss?

84. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Testing testing

85. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Not one Phillies hitter walked in the 3 games in Cincy. I think that's funny.And Charlie Manuel says John Lannan is out 6-8 weeks. I don't think thats funny.

86. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Nats will certainly miss Lannan on Memorial Day weekend.

87. baseballswami - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I feel bad for the guy. He got a major league contract and a fresh start. He was doing ok. The MLB DL is getting longer by the day.

88. NatsLady - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I just don't remember Lannan having knee trouble when he was here–but he said he "didn't miss a start" when he had the problem for us. A mystery.

89. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Cingrani just struck out Polanco, something that doesn't happen very often.

90. baseballswami - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Sec3– I am currently playing a very tiny violin for them and sobbing uncontrollably.

91. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Fernandez thtowing a free and easy 97.

92. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:33 PM

And Joey Votto just walked for the 23rd time. With Brandon Phillips hitting .432 with runners on base following him……but not this time.

93. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:34 PM

You didn't follow the link to the Onion story, did you, swami?

94. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Gattis is on the bench tonight for Atlanta. After the hitless series vs the Royals, the descend has started. Looks like he is batting in the .260s after leaving Washington.

95. baseballswami - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Pete F Kozma just made an error. Seriously- this is strange. Who should I root against? Listening to the horrendous Philly accents.Hoping both teams look bad. Nats off night issues.

96. baseballswami - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Yes, I read the onion story- quite humorous. I can get behind anything that makes fun of the yanks.

97. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Aces down again tonight. David Price has given up 3 runs in 2 innings so far.

98. peric - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Mebbe Chase should stop trying to displace Luke Erickson and Byron Kerr (somewhere in the background Brian Oliver) when it comes to minor league reports?

99. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Fernandez just toyed with Todd Frazier. Goes to 3-0 and then throws 3 straight strikes and get him on 96 heater!

100. Sec. 3, My Untucked Sofa - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:54 PM

It's a game-less night, so some history: 57 years ago today, Roberto Clemente played his first game for the Pirates. 25 facts about Clemente

101. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:54 PM

peric, I like Chase's report. As suggested, he needs to do the teams in ascending or descending order from AAA to Low A or Low A to AAA.Seems like you are upset that he may have overlooked Kobernus. Maybe he didn't see him as hotter than Marrero.

102. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:57 PM

103. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Blooper play in Philly as their RF fell flat on his face. OMG. Hamels melting down. Next pitch a 2 run double.

104. baseballswami - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Philly outfielder just face planted and missed catching a ball. Next batter- 2 run double. And by face planted– not while catching it, before it got there.

105. Gonat - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I like Drinks baseballswami!

106. baseballswami - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Gonat!! You got me by one minute!!

107. Gonat - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Swami – Funny part is we wrote the same thing. That was John Mayberry playing the part of the "Face-Plant" in RF by the way.You don't see that every season. Colbert just had a meltdown! That was worth it!

108. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Sure don't look forward to facing this kid Fernandez with Fish. He's really good.

109. baseballswami - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Quite entertaining! And then there was Pete Kozma booting a ball. Hoping for more shenanigans.

110. baseballswami - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:13 AM

NatsJack- don't worry. If he is good they will surely trade him.

111. Gonat - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:21 AM

baseballswami said… NatsJack- don't worry. If he is good they will surely trade him. April 18, 2013 8:13 PM __________________________________Hah! They have 6 years of control so they will trade him in 3 years.

112. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Alvarez absolutely crushed a HR to tie game against ATL 3-3.

113. baseballswami - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM

So great that we have people updating on multiple games. Bring it!

114. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Justin homers to make it 4-3 atlanta.

115. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:44 AM

pitching matchup of the night isn't going too well for either side in Cincinnati and Marlins. Fernandez has given up 4 runs in 4 innings and Tony has given only one run in 4 innings but pitch count is 80+.

116. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:46 AM

make that five runs in 4 innings. jose is getting squeezed by umpire I think.

117. UnkyD - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Chase, one request: please identify the position players by their positions? I really line having this report every week, but would like to see where every one is playing… Thanks, and nice job…!

118. Doc - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:53 AM

And this just in sportsfans, in the new International Football League, the Buffalo Bisons beat the Syracuse Chiefs, 27-9.The starting pitcher for the Chiefs, Tanner Roark was seen throwing footballs after the game!

119. John C. - Apr 19, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Doc, I believe you owe me a drink. Make mine Diet Coke :D

120. Theophilus T. S. - Apr 19, 2013 at 1:41 AM

I think the Nats bullpen is capable of giving up 22 runs in eight innings.

121. natsfan1a - Apr 19, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Maybe it was an homage to Victorino. Didn't he slip and fall in the OF a season or two ago?

122. baseballswami - Apr 19, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Phils about to tie it up or walk off. Still hoping for 15 innings.

123. Gonat - Apr 19, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Clearly when Gattis came in to pinch hit the Pirates didn't use the scouting report which is don't pitch him up and in. 2 run HR

124. natsfan1a - Apr 19, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Here it is, from 2011.

125. natsfan1a - Apr 19, 2013 at 1:56 AM

I don't care who you are, that's funny. :-)

126. baseballswami - Apr 19, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Don't understand why Cliff Lee is pinch running for a position player.

127. baseballswami - Apr 19, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Phils got two on, no outs, get someone to third, leave two on and lose. So enjoyable watching other fans stress out.

128. Doc - Apr 19, 2013 at 2:07 AM

You're right John C., I owe you! I thought that I had checked the NI ticker tape to see that I wasn't gonna be scooped!Oh well, it was a football game wasn't it??As for the Diet Coke you'll have to get in line, as I owe half the NI's Diet Cokes!Hopefully, I make to the next NT's Octoberfest, and get to buy everybody 'a coke'—or something stronger!!!

129. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 19, 2013 at 2:16 AM

number of walks this season Votto has taken: 24.Next best is 11 for Pujols.But only 3 XBH and 3 RBIs on the season. However Reds are scoring plenty runs lately. back to back games where they have scored 11 runs.

130. NatsLady - Apr 19, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Did someone say Gattis was on the decline? He just won the game for ATL with a two-run dinger. Then they went to O'Faherty and Kimbrall, game over, 6-4.

131. NatsLady - Apr 19, 2013 at 4:15 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/04/18/bryce-harper-upset-at-the-sale-of-his-opening-day-jersey/ I hope the Kid gets his jersey back. Sounds like he's willing to pay for it.

132. baseballswami - Apr 19, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I am a rabid baseball fan, but it's hard to think about it with all that's been going on. Crazy stuff.if you are the praying type, do it now.