Apr 19, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Any franchise trying to build itself into a legitimate contender knows one of the first pieces to a championship puzzle: An ace atop its rotation.
The Nationals knew this as they constructed their current club, tabbing Stephen Strasburg nearly four years ago as the No. 1 starter who would ultimately lead this team to the promised land. And, more recently, the Mets drew the same conclusion, selecting Matt Harvey seventh overall in the 2010 draft and hoping the big right-hander would develop into an ace.
Tonight, we get to see these two premier young hurlers go head-to-head, with Strasburg and Harvey drawing the starting assignments for the opener of a weekend series at Citi Field.
Harvey isn't shying away from the attention this elite matchup will receive.
"It's our first game back from a long road trip, and the Nationals are a good-hitting lineup," he told reporters on Wednesday. "AndRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules