Apr 22, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
Anthony Rendon went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts and an error yesterday.
The whirlwind of his big-league debut behind him, Anthony Rendon arrived at Nationals Park today hoping he’ll be able to relax a bit more and soak in the scene a bit more than he did yesterday in New York.
If nothing else, at least Rendon knows he doesn’t have to worry about the whereabouts of his parents. After missing their son’s debut when they got bumped from their flight, Rene and Bridget Rendon will be in the stands at Nationals Park when he makes the first home appearance of his career.
“Yes, there’s a story,” Rendon said with an eye roll and a smile. “They bought their tickets the night that I told them [I was getting called up], and they showed up at the airport early in the morning. Needless to say, they were in the system, but they didn’t have a seat on the plane. So the airline messed up somewhere. I don’t know the full story, but they didn’t end up making it.”
Unable to get from Houston to New York in time for the Nationals’ series finale against the Mets, the Rendons instead caught a flight to Washington last night. They arrived safe and sound and are now looking forward to attending tonight’s game against the Cardinals.
“My mom was kind of furious,” Rendon said.
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats acquire IF Brandon Laird from Royals
- Zimmermann, Gio pitch in Nats split-squad games
- Wainwright wants Bryce Harper to take it easy on him (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Fernandez face off as Marlins host Nats
- Nats owner Mark Lerner on the Wizards’ broadcast (VIDEO)
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring