Apr 22, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
Anthony Rendon went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts and an error yesterday.
The whirlwind of his big-league debut behind him, Anthony Rendon arrived at Nationals Park today hoping he’ll be able to relax a bit more and soak in the scene a bit more than he did yesterday in New York.
If nothing else, at least Rendon knows he doesn’t have to worry about the whereabouts of his parents. After missing their son’s debut when they got bumped from their flight, Rene and Bridget Rendon will be in the stands at Nationals Park when he makes the first home appearance of his career.
“Yes, there’s a story,” Rendon said with an eye roll and a smile. “They bought their tickets the night that I told them [I was getting called up], and they showed up at the airport early in the morning. Needless to say, they were in the system, but they didn’t have a seat on the plane. So the airline messed up somewhere. I don’t know the full story, but they didn’t end up making it.”
Unable to get from Houston to New York in time for the Nationals’ series finale against the Mets, the Rendons instead caught a flight to Washington last night. They arrived safe and sound and are now looking forward to attending tonight’s game against the Cardinals.
“My mom was kind of furious,” Rendon said.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Report: Phillies willing to trade All-Star Dominic Brown
- Long-time Nats nemesis Halladay retires
- La Russa, Cox, Torre elected to Hall of Fame
- Lefties on agenda as Winter Meetings begin
- Granderson, Mets reach $60M, 4-yr deal
- Could Michael Morse return to the National League?
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance
- Nats still have things to do at Winter Meetings
- Napoli, Red Sox agree on 2-year, $32M deal
- Nats 1B Adam LaRoche to join USO Holiday Tour