Apr 22, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
Anthony Rendon went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts and an error yesterday.
The whirlwind of his big-league debut behind him, Anthony Rendon arrived at Nationals Park today hoping he’ll be able to relax a bit more and soak in the scene a bit more than he did yesterday in New York.
If nothing else, at least Rendon knows he doesn’t have to worry about the whereabouts of his parents. After missing their son’s debut when they got bumped from their flight, Rene and Bridget Rendon will be in the stands at Nationals Park when he makes the first home appearance of his career.
“Yes, there’s a story,” Rendon said with an eye roll and a smile. “They bought their tickets the night that I told them [I was getting called up], and they showed up at the airport early in the morning. Needless to say, they were in the system, but they didn’t have a seat on the plane. So the airline messed up somewhere. I don’t know the full story, but they didn’t end up making it.”
Unable to get from Houston to New York in time for the Nationals’ series finale against the Mets, the Rendons instead caught a flight to Washington last night. They arrived safe and sound and are now looking forward to attending tonight’s game against the Cardinals.
“My mom was kind of furious,” Rendon said.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules
- Around the NL East: Stanton making strong push for NL MVP
- Nationals can't pull off dramatic rally this time
- Nats' momentum stalls vs. Phillies in first game of long road trip
- Cabrera out of lineup, but not seriously injured